kenpo vs tae kwon do vs kung fu

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by MusashiUeshiba, Jul 29, 2006.

1. MusashiUeshiba

MusashiUeshiba Valued Member

hi i am new to the forum an have just started intro classes at a kenpo school.....it seems like a good school for 120 a month you gte 1 private a week an like 3 group classes and the classes are all small with people of the same rank as you....what i really wanted to do is check out a few styles but seeiong as i am only going to be here (in this area) about another year..i thought i should stick with one style.....i have talked to the instructor from each school they all seem really nice....though the kenpo is most expensive ($50 a monmth more)it does ahve small classes an private included (and teacher has 40 years teaching exp....trained with ed parker)......so i am just seeing on getting some insight on whether i should stick with my original plan or is it better to stay at one scholol for the year that i like the most???and on the differnt style an experiece people ahve had with them.......thank you

2. FredQ

FredQ New Member

All Martial Art styles have something to offer,it just depends on what you want out of it.No one style is better than the other if someone tells you this they don't know nothing about Martial Arts.My self I have been training in Chang-Moo Kwan Taekwon-Do for 19 years,before that I trained in Shim-Do Taekwon-Do for 7 years,I have 26 years of training in Two different styles of Taekwon-Do.

PS : The main thing is Training,and it don't matter what Martial Art you choose to study.They are all good for you.

Fred

3. MusashiUeshiba

yeah i totally understand that i just didnt know if i should stick with one or move around an try some out since i am only gonna be here a year

4. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Well, yes, some arts are better than other arts, depending on your goals...if you want good standup hand fighting, boxing type skills TKD likely isn't going to fit your goals, Kickboxing may be better, if you want to learn good kicks and stuff that may not be practical in a real self defense situation, but is great for flexability, TKD could likely be a great choice...of course, I am only speaking of TKD in terms of what I have seen at my local dojos in this area.

In my opinion, Kenpo (speaking in general) is a great self defense system for real world type situations.

That said, it all depends on the instructor and student more than the style...

Now, I know some TKD enthusiasts are gonne come in and flame me, and thats fine, I am simply demonstating an opinion based on what I have seen, such as a year long trained boxer kick the crap out of a 4th degree black belt in TKD...most of that being because the TKDer was so trained in point sparring he had serious muscle memory to pull back on kicks and strikes just before impact, as opposed to being trained to hit and punch with higher degrees of realism.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  5. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

My personal opinion is that you need to experience a range of arts before making any commitments. Once you have done this you will have an idea of what style or school appeals to you. Once you have a clear idea of what you like then commit to it. Unless the style itself is based on cross training I would not engage in it. Depending on what it is you are learning cross training can be detrimental to your understanding and ability to use a systems techniques. At some time in the future when you have a good understanding of what you are learning and can apply it in a free situation then you may get some benefit from exposure to new concepts and techniques.

Not that this should be a problem with American styles, or for that matter Shorinji Kempo (Japanese style), but some traditional Asian styles don’t view the training as a commodity that you purchase. It is viewed more like an apprenticeship, and as such you commit yourself to one master for the term of your studies. In these cases you will not be allowed to cross train, if this could be a problem for you clear the issue up right from the start, and make your decision based on this information.

6. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Oh, yeah, that brings another point to mind. Any school that does not allow crosstraining, well, that's a school I would personally not attend.

7. FredQ

FredQ New Member

MusashiUeshiba,
    See what I mean when someone says one Art is better than the other,they don't know nothing about any Martial Art.I train in TKD and fought full contact in many tournaments through the years,mostly open Martial Art Tournaments,as for self defence,I grew up in Detroit and had alot of unwanted practice.So when someone makes unjust comments,they really don't know squat.

Fred

8. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Or, have a different bit of experience to base their opinions on...life isn't black and white.

9. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Wow... I think the flame form is due for a comeback...

10. FredQ

FredQ New Member

Very limited experience.

Fred

11. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

OK, tough guy...whatever you say, I really don't have time or interest in some childish ****ing match because somebody disagrees...this seriously isn't flame bait, just a different opinion. Like any art, I am sure there are awesome TKDists and crappy ones, just like with any other art...like I said, it's the instructor and the student, not the art.

12. FredQ

FredQ New Member

Sounds like your the tough guy,and if you don't know about something don't make unjust comments.opinions are like -------- everyone has one.

Fred

13. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I ain't no tough guy, just enjoy training, learning and rolling with the guys at the gym that are tough guys. Developed a few opinions over time based on the guys I have seen come in and out of the place, the street fighters and people trained in different arts...like I said, just based on what I have seen, never claimed it's the be-all-end-all truth, and in reality, neither is anyone elses...so get over it, man, I simply have a different opinion, jeezuz.

14. FredQ

FredQ New Member

Your a good fisherman,I took the bait,flame war over,I will post no more about this matter,lets be civil and respectful.

PEACE

Fred

15. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I was being civil and respectful, and will continue to, no fishing being done at all.

16. MusashiUeshiba

well i have to say i do agree that i should get a good look at many differnt etyles which i intend to in the martial arts....i think i have decided i am going to stay with kenpo for as long as i feel and not make any plans to move around just kinda go with the flow.........:)

17. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

go for what works for you. sounds like the kempo school would work best out of what you've said so far. but keep looking around at the best deal that works for you.

18. matt flint

matt flint New Member

ok my opionion and experience i trained tkd for 15 years . fought point stop many times with much sucsess . took up kickboxing to play full contact with the big boys first fight for some reason managed to pull a reverse turning kick to the guys chin should have knocked him clean out but ....... guess what i pulled it and he got a tap .
    had a 2 year gap in training after that to rethink my own abilities sort out a club about 60 miles from home the only kempo club around this instructor came highly recomendend and had trained with ed parker and jeff speakman among many . he showed me the difference between tkd and kenpo and kicked the crap out of me in seconds . if the club had been closer i would have joined but the traveling times and class times wasnt possible to do . i consider myself to be quite a good martial artist (but no way a great one) but i will strive to better myself everyday . kenpo was not a better style it was just different and his many years of training and experience was more than twice my own . my point is this ,every martial art has something different to offer but as long as you dedicate yourself to one style then later on you can take from other styles and adapt yourself to what comes natural. good luck and welcome to the world of martial arts (o yes and the bitches that argue about who is better ).lol

19. KINKINDARk

KINKINDARk New Member

It does not have the best martial arts, but always has better man

It does not have the best martial arts, but always has better man.

Think what is your goal in martial arts? For myself, it is only for my fitness, hobby, and have time with my daughter( She trained with me in TKD class).

If your goal is go to Olympic , than Judo and WTF TKD is good for you.

Please note KENPO is MIXED martial arts , but basically it comes from Japan karate and TKD has another name_Korean KARATE, all of them are very similar, but WTF TKD more focus on Foot ,and Japan Karate and Kenpo more focus on Hand. And It doesn't means TKD has no hand skills like Kenpo, if you study POMSE or kata in KARATE and TKD, you will find all skill in KENPO is coming from there. KENPO is just like a fast food in Martial arts, if you already tarined for a long time in Karate or TKD, you can learn all KENPO skills in very short time, as Kenpo actually explained how to apply your pomse/KATA in real combat.

The only problem is now the TKD instructor is more focus on competition in tournament , not on real fighting and some of them doesn't know why you need practice pomse and they do not teach the application of pomse in combat and self defense.

So, for my opinion, choose TKD or KARATE for your long term training, for you fitness, spirit, confidence for the rest of your life, and you can study KENPO
    to fulfill your knowledge of martial arts.

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

What's the difference between:

- ridge hand,
    - haymake punch,
    - hook punch?

What's the difference between:

- Kung Fu roundhouse kick,
    - TKD roundhouse kick,
    - MT roundhouse kick?

If you have answer for these 2 questions, you will have better understanding about MA in general. There is no style difference but better way to do the same thing. When you find that better way, you will "upgrade" your skill. You only live once. You deserve to have the best.

I still remember a line in "Starship Troopers" movie. The keyword is "I'll' take it, till ... find ... better".

Carl Jenkins: "I hear they need a new lieutenant, want the job?"
    Rico: "I'll take it, till I get killed or you find someone better."

That's the correct attitude for MA training. You will learn a lot of different MA styles in your life time. The reason is simple. No single style can provide you all the tools that you will need in your toolbox.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012