Kenpo Jujitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by tengu, May 19, 2004.

1. tengu

tengu Capoeirista "Paparazzi"

Does anyone know what kenpo jujitsu is? Are there a lot of strikes in it?
    There's a club just opened near me (spalding,lincolnshire,england), I really want to learn a grappling art, I would find it hard learning a full range of strikes,locks,throws,kata...I only have about 6 houyrs a week to train!

2. kempo-kid

kempo-kid Warning Dangerous

It all depends on the focus of the instructor. There are a lot of strikes as well as the throwing. Go along and see if it is for you

KK

3. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Hi

Depends if they are any part of Hanshi P. Browne lot then there are loads of strikes etc his system is very nice.

Go along and have a look ask some questions then go from there.

4. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

I guess it depends on your particular club

In my club we do strikes, locks, throws and kata and have short wrestling matches for fun but it's not really grappling as you would do in Brazilian JJ.
    Strikes we do: straight punch, roundhouse, uppercut, overhead, knife strikes to throat/ neck and elbow strikes. Some of the strikes are to stun the attacker so you can then throw them/ apply a lock. We do a kata of strikes in the yellow belt, then kata of kicks in orange and the kata gets more complicated the further you study the syllabus. I don't know about other clubs but mine is mainly focussed on studying kempo jujitsu from a self defence perspective.
    My class last night was being watched by two prospective students and this is what we did:
    warm up
    breakfalls drill
    working on various knife attack defences
    hip throw randori ending with a different lock per person
    Syllabus work
    cool down.
    With my syllabus, I have found that the further you progress, it all starts to fit together - that is, you'll learn a basic move for the yellow belt which later is developed in another move...it seems complicated and a lot to remember at first but does come together. Good luck with your new club!