Kenpo goes full "Circle"

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Griffin, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

First you must search for Ed Parker jr on you-tube....
    Theres only one short vid there right now so its short work...

Now, thats the evolving (return of i would say) of kenpo to bagua, In my opinion this has come full circle back to its roots.

2. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

in response!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wvJopYdu6w"]YouTube - Ed Parker Jr & Frank Soto Seminar[/ame]

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

That looks severely boring.

4. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Yes well they are attempting to show Kenpo techniques "melted" and simplified.
    So yeah no flash stuff for the Kiddies... :)

5. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

This examplified the circular aspects of the chinese martial art influences of American Kenpo when William Chow combined his family's kungfu art into the linear aspects of Mitose's Kempo Jujitsu in Hawaii.. The circular applications illustrated in this video shows how the kenpo arts can be used without the rapid fire attacks that is known in american Kenpo..

This is also the highlights the neijia aspects that a lot of people who practices kenpo has no idea of the effectiveness of the circular aspects when applied correctly

6. shaolinmonkmark

bagua-kuntao link?

i remember watching a rik ernandez video on self defense, he also does kuntao, and i see a link here. kinda looks like the same:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqu3s7lDrbo&NR=1"]YouTube - More Kuntao Movements 2 (Rick Hernandez)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP2fVirDG3A&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Kuntao Animal Aggression Combat Tactics DVD Preview[/ame]

always "torking the spine-neck-body":woo:

7. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Yes thats what i was getting at thankyou Kuntaoer.
    Seeing those other vids and checking out russian systema on you-tube ive noticed that others are catching on to the chinese mindset mixed with whatever techniques as long as they are circular/flowing and lead to a desired result..

Im suprised Am. Kenpo didnt get more popular back then, its not really heard of as much as karate or tkd yet it offers a better flow a and quicker results?
    Maybe renaming everything and having a large syllabus played a pert, looks daunting on paper having a name for every posture etc. Sure makes my shotokan katas seem a little easier LOL..

8. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Rick Hernandez's kuntao comes from his studies of Bagua and his training with Professor Vistacion who was a filipino kuntao and eskrimador along with other arts.. Professor Vee was known to have created 4 different arts during his life time.. He created Vee arnis, Vee Jujitsu, Vee Kuntao and one more that I can't remember currently..

Rick Hernandez is known as a very capable kuntao practitioner and his study of bagua when combined with the filipino kuntao shows how adaptable the circular attributes can be implemented if you really can understand the principles..

9. shaolinmonkmark

i likey!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=askQI8RUHCM&feature=PlayList&p=51DEED7A4DA4CFE4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=30"]YouTube - Vee Arnis Jitsu - David James - Professor Vee - 1993[/ame]

and:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-05WhMhov7Q"]YouTube - Rhode Island Vee-Arnis-Jitsu[/ame]

10. shaolinmonkmark

almost went to a rick hernandez seminar!

almost went to a rick hernandez seminar, but it was sold out.

11. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Yeah theres something about Bagua.

Obviously you dont need bagua to adhere to circle theories n stuff, stick arts teach the hands so much in this respect.
    Wow, certainly seems to have all been done before :( lol
    So its this circle of motion theory that has continued on.
    cheers :)

12. shaolinmonkmark

i like it!

i like the slow circular non violant moves, it just flows, like water!
    Realistically, i see this as only giving a martial artist more skills and techniques, and also the ability to "feel the opponent, use the momentum against them" type.
    Sort of like aikido, but more advanced for today's street defense.
    Griffin, glad you posted it, i want more info on this, pm me some more, as for kuntao, always love it!
    Kuntao is kinda of like Hagannah!:woo:

13. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Yeah exactly, the palm changes are packed with Aikido
    The animal forms with full bodied palm strikes to neck etc.
    :)

14. shaolinmonkmark

love this clip!

Griffin, check this one out!

pay attention at time:1:48 and 2:34.
    good gravy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA_AuE5Z0ZA"]YouTube - Ba Gua Zhang Fighting Techniques - å…«å¦æŽŒæ‰“法[/ame]

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I have to say I don't think alot of that. The guys throwing the punches are basically going with every technique to the point that they're practically throwing themselves around. Also many of the blows they're throing are being aimed into mid air about a foot away from the 'target'. Because of this its hard to tell how effective this stuff is, although some of the posturing is very impressive...

Also every technique seems be performed once the aggressor has moved within range and thrown a punch which is poor strategy.

If someone is in range and tries to sucker punch you they'lll probably succeed, action nearly always beats reaction, and that that holds true whatever art you do. Fence and pre empt!.

16. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Had to laugh at the heavy fellow being nicknamed "the kinetic dragon"... :rolleyes:

17. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Bagua aspects within the kuntao arts is top notch, it is just one aspect to this fighting art.. I am going back to these forms and functions as in the job that I have, it is frowned on for us to put bruises and whelps on our detainees and suspects.. These arts can be devastating, yet gentle at the same time.. They are good for controlling the centerline of the attacker and putting them at a distinct disadvantage while maintaining your own safety margin..

BTW: Kuntao is not like Hagannah, it is more devastating.. Plus when I went to train at a Hagannah class while I was in the states, I fell asleep with the sheer boredom... Turned out not to be my cup of tea,

18. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Kuntaour, Excellent point about damage control.

Awesome vid Shaolinmonkmark (check out "Cheng Bagua 8 major palms" on you-tube also :) The little guy has incredible fa-jing!!)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  19. shaolinmonkmark

why they use straight in punch

basically, in alot of kempo, and karate, we start with just a "Straight in punch".
    Why?
    So you can start to get the motions of "Techniques" you are working on as well as types of techniques to be engrained into your subconscious.
    Once you feel you have it down, you try different attack scenarios:
    example:
    opponent shuffles in with a 1-2, ie, jab then cross to head,
    or, a power uppercut, hooks, etc...
    now, usually, you want to get the technique down against right and left punch, so you are diversed on both sides, ambedextriousness comes into play, before you start to practice it with various other types of attacks, even practice against grabs!
    (that is how my dojo practices our techniques, and i know for sure, most all others do as well.)

Now, in the videos, they were going at about half speed, so they can show/and learn what the techniques they are practicing.
    In a real life situation , will it look "That Pretty"???
    Answer:
    hell no, probably wouldn't even be the whole type of parts within the technique, but parts and pieces of everything the martial artist has learned.
    I was stating, i like the circular flow, quick "Rendering the opponent like a rag on the floor" type of techniques.
    i feel this can only help a martial artist in his current techniques, by practicing some bagua, and myself, i likey.
    (different strokes for different folks, right?):woo:

20. shaolinmonkmark

check out frank sotos other kempo clips!

check out frank sotos other kempo clips!
    He is pretty good!