Kenpo Competitors

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Korpy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I was wondering how many of you Kenpo practioners compete in combat sports. (and no point sparring does not count)

Even though I only recently started Kenpo, I have competed (in Kickboxing before Kenpo) and my teacher is training me to compete in Kickboxing, San Shou, and MMA.

List of what you have (or want to) competed in, your record, and your Kenpo style.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

You do realize, of course, that taking Ke?po is possibly the worst possible use of your time if you want to compete MMA and kickboxing?

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Not necessarily. Not everyone has to be generic MT/BJJ/Wrestling/Boxing.

MMA:

Ryoto Machida - Shotokan Karate

Jeff Joslin - Wado Ryu Karate

Charles Wilson - Kung Fu

Kickboxing:

Dennis Alexio - Kajukenbo

Benny Urquidez - Kajukenbo/American Kenpo

Don Wilson - Kung Fu

Oh and hey Yohan, dont derail the thread.

BUT ANYWAY

This is about Kenpo practioners who compete in combat sports.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I think you are being a bit misleading here. You had trained in Kickboxing for your Kickboxing fights right? Not Kempo. It comes across from your post that you are saying that you trained in exclusively in kempo and entered a kickboxing comp.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I mentioned (edit) I had competed in Kickboxing before Kenpo, and now that I am competeing in other sports such as San Shou/MMA with Kenpo. My teacher is very diverse.

6. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Yeh thats clearer now. Have you got a link to your Kempo school? Have you quit the kickboxing or are you still training there as well?

7. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Do you mean Lyoto Machida?

8. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

9. Yohan

Jeff Joslin:

He has a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti, and a 4th degree black belt in Wado Ryu Karate. He has also trained in wrestling and boxing[1]

Ryoto Machida:

Machida currently fights out of Black House with such fighters as UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva, former UFC Light Heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Charles Wilson:

We'll let his record speak for him as I can't find any details on his training other than that he fights with the "Double Tap Fight Crew."

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterID=14776

As for Dennis Alexio, Benny Urquidez, Don Wilson, these guys were career kickboxers with a number of years in sports training. To say that their success was due to training in the styles you have listed is patently ridiculous. It was due to a number of years in kickboxing training, and I guarantee you it was with kickboxing coaches. Until you can come up with some kind of evidence showing that they were training in the styles you've listed all through their careers, I'm going to have to call you on the carpet at this point and say that you are blatantly wrong. Same with the traditional guys you've listed as MMA competitors. They train MMA. At MMA gyms for the most part, except for Jeff Joslin, who can actually attribute part of his success to Karate training.

Further, let's look at some of the top dawgs, the champs, the blue bloods who are running the sport:

Fedor: Sambo and Judo
    Rampage: Wrestling, MMA (most recently under Juanito Ibarra)
    Dan Henderson: Boxing, wrestling
    Sean Sherk: Wrestling, Muay Thai/shooto, BJJ, Combat submission wrestling
    Anderson Silva: Muay Thai, BJJ (AFAIK)

Need I go on? It's pretty obvious what styles and what styles of training are going to lead a person to success in MMA. There are some fringe guys who are having success outside of the umbrella of wrestling, judo, boxing, muay thai, and BJJ, but they are one-offs.

If you really want to be successful in competition, the best way to do it is with the styles I've listed above.

I won't derail your thread or your unrealistic expectations of your training any further. Good day.

10. Yohan

Who does your coach train Muay Thai under? It says he's "certified" in Muay Thai and American Kickboxing. Who's he certified to teach submission wrestling under?

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

He trained Kickboxing under Kenny Lapka. I forgot his Submission Wrestling coach. I know his Judo coach was Howard Harrs. (who ran his dojo in alsip, il)

Someone is being quite skeptical, eh?

12. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

13. KempoFist

This is not true

14. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Yohan, you're pretty funny. And I dont mean haha funny, I mean you're ridiculous. I didnt know you had to do Sambo/BJJ/Wrestling/MT to be an MMA champ or Kickboxing champ.

15. Yohan

Really?

Well yeah, I guess you're right. You could be training Wing Chun. :D :D

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying. I'm not saying you do, but statistically speaking . . . .

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Dude, stop derailing the damn thread, and just leave. You add nothing to it besides pointless, stupid hostility.

And you've go no room to talk "mr. kung fu"

17. KempoFist

Nah, that's not what I meant. Kenpo practitioners used to be well known for their presence in full contact karate and kickboxing circuits. Many still are, I see them at every local amateur MMA and kickboxing venue.

I am the biggest critic of superfluous nature of most Kenpo systems, but there are still those who put out their fighters and don't deserve to be grouped with the rest of the heap of fecal matter that is Ke?po.

18. Yohan

Really? That's pretty cool - I did not know that.

19. Yohan

LoL

:p :p :p
    :D :D :D

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Anyway.... :rolleyes:

Let's get back on topic.