Kenjutsu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by waya, Feb 25, 2002.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

Kenjustu is the combative art of the Japanese sword. It normally begins with the sword already drawn with an agressive intent.
    Teachings of the systematic use of the Japanese sword first began about 800 A.D. and since then there have been over 1200 Ryu documented.

Many exponents of kenjutsu began to question if a higher understanding could be achieved through practice and study with the sword. These kenshi (swordsmen) developed the art of the sword (kenjustsu) into a way of the sword (kendo). To signify their advances, they coined the name kendo. This divisive move began around the middle of the 14th century.

Kenjutsu is considered a classical bujutsu (art of war or martial art), having been well formulated prior to the Meiji reformation (the classical/modern dividing line). Classical kenjutsu ryu (schools) tend to be quite secretive of their techniques, being very closed to outsiders. Classical kenjutsu ryu are the closest to classical warrior training in the modern world. Examples are Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, and Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu.

Kenjutsu wear is traditional, consisting usually of hakama (split skirt trousers), keikogi (a heavy weight jacket worn tucked in) and obi (belt). As a rule, there are no belt colors in kenjutsu, but only titles; Deshi (student), Renshi (instructor), Kyoshi (teacher) and Hanshi (master).

Kata (prearranged forms or exercises) are the usual way of learning the intricate motions required. Initially one practices solo, but later pairs or multiple kenshi kata are performed. The standard practice tool is either a bokken (simulated wooden sword) or an actual live blade. Actual cutting, and thrusting of the blade against water soaked rolled mats and bamboo poles, called tameshigiri, give the more advanced exponent practice in actual impact of the live blade against a target.

to look this and the other Japanese sword arts up go to http://www.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de/~k2/budo_english/iaido/node1.html

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Is Iado a seperate system, or part of Kenjutsu. I think I have the name right. Art of drawing?

3. waya

waya Valued Member

Iaido/Iaito is the art of drawing and bringing the sword into a combative position in minimum time. It usually involves a cut as the blade is drawn, and from what I understand it is ideally a fatal strike from the beginning.

4. khafra

khafra New Member

The katori ryu looks like it has some really nice katana/wakizashi and naginata techniques. Any way for me to learn those without going to Japan, convincing an ancient sensei of my sincerity and character, and joining a clan of Samurai?

5. waya

waya Valued Member

There are a few instructor's in the various sword arts in the US, but I don't think there are many. I know of one that is in the Bujinkan that also teaches Kenjutsu here but I haven't been looking lately. I will see if I can find some info for you.