Kenjutsu in London

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Nykout, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Yes, I know that studying Koryu Bujutsu is basically a lifelong activity, but I was wondering what I can achieve during 2 years of training and gathering knowledge. That's why I asked those previous questions.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If I were a koryu teacher, I would insist on students being shodan in something else first.

Just as a student filter.

3. Dead_pool

Koryu arnt primarily about modern day SD.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What makes you think a teacher would even accept you on those grounds?

I'm not saying some won't but it's certainly something a lot would keep in mind.

Two years in a koryu is nothing, remember it's not about the student.

5. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I am not talking about self defense, I am talking about the sense of training such a complex art for only two years. I currently cannot decide between a Koryu Bujutsu school and Bujinkan Ninjutsu school, that's why I am asking those questions.

6. Dean Winchester

I think Ellis Amdur does something similar but insists it's in a grappling discipline.

7. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Sensei Delaney approved of my inquire to study Koryu Bujutsu in his dojo, so in this case it's not about getting in. But if you say two years is nothing for Koryu, then Bujinkan is my option. Still, I would be really grateful if somebody could pinpoint some of the technical differences between those two arts.

8. Dead_pool

That would make sense, like a replacement for sumai/sumo

9. Dead_pool

Koryu and bujinkan arnt the arts being studied, there just names of types of schools.

A bit like saying technical college, art university, or school for troubled teens.

10. Dead_pool

What are your aim(s) in studying MA?

11. Dean Winchester

Ok I'm trying to be nice.

I'm not speaking for Steve now but please keep in mind that a reply to an email is not admittance. It's a bloody long way off.

Even being invited down to do kengku (observation of training) isn't admittance.

12. Dean Winchester

Which ryu?

Koryu is just an umbrella term and the Bujinkan is an organisation that has a number of combative systems associated with it alongside a hybrid art that is based on those systems.

13. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Ok, to be more specific, what are the major differences between Araki Ryu Koryu Bujutsu and Bujinkan Ninjutsu? For example, in which of these schools there is more stress put on weapon usage, and in which on empty hand fighting?

14. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Well ok, forgive my overinterpretation then.

15. Dean Winchester

In the Bujinkan honbu they have a tea break during training.

In Araki-ryu they try and kill you with tea.

Both are comprehensive systems, you need to get rid of this distinction between weapon and empty hand. In most cases if weapons are present alongside unarmed then it's a wholistic system. Things are intergrated.

16. Dead_pool

The bujinkan doesn't teach ninjutsu.

Araki ryu (from what I've read, S Delany will know much better then I) is taught, exactly, and specifically in order to propagate the school.
    You are secondary to the schools aims.

In the bujinkan, you are the main focus, grades are given for effort, and no one really fails.

Make your choice well!

Or just do a martial sport, and take up a koryu later on, when you can dedicate your self properly.

17. Dean Winchester

Dead Pool's last suggestion is a good one.

18. Dead_pool

Have you thought about kendo, or fma, or email, all of which are more sparring centric.

19. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

If there really is no point in doing a Koryu for only 2 years, then the choice is obviously Bujinkan. Unless Bujinkan also requires way more time than just 2 years. Does it? And just to make sure, it's not that Bujinkan Ninjutsu is in any way "inferior" to Koryu Bujutsu schools?

About your last suggestion Deadpool, thank you, but my martial art dedication is Capoeira and Karate. It is something that I feel is necessary in my life, and to those martial arts I will always devote most attention. I of course would very much like to get experience in other arts, but it will never be to such an extent as with my main two.

20. Dean Winchester

Inferior in what way?

There are huge quality control issues in the Bujinkan and a lot of, well to put it bluntly, useless teachers.

There are some very good teaches too but you need to take your time and do your research.