Kendo Question

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by benkei, Jan 17, 2008.

1. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Hi guys, I am interested in giving kendo a shot and was wondering if you could help me out with some answers. Most of my training in swordwork to date has been of the informal variety through a couple of iaido teachers I know and also through my training in Buko ryu. From what I have seen of kendo it looks very vigorous and the randori and shiai appeals to me alot. What I am worried about is the cutting style. It looks very "tappy" for lack of a better word. I am used to full blooded attacks and anything less just doesn't seem real to me. If I take up kendo I want to take it up as an actual pursuit in swordsmanship, not in a sporting manner cutting in an unrealistic fashion.
    I don't mean any disrespect to kendoka with what I have said, I'm just trying to put across what I've seen. Can anyone shed some lght on the subject for me please?

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi Benkei

believe me all the "taps" in kendo feel like depth charges. All of the cuts are executed using the inent, technique and body momentum as one in an instant.The fights are intense demanding all your concentration and spirit.
    I would highly recommend the art.

I do not train in kendo myself but have cross trained with high grades. My own art is aiki ken and I have found that kendo swordsmanship is much more pragmatic.

regards koyo

3. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Seconded, especially the 'depth charges' bit.

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

If you are going to take up kendo in addition to the other gendai and koryu budo that you are doing, make sure that it doesn't pollute your other arts. In kendo, the left heel is raised of the floor a lot, the tenouchi and kiri-kata are different.

Just be mindful of what you are going to have to adapt yourself to.