Ken suburi

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Graham, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Graham

Graham Valued Member

Anybody know of any resorces for ken suburi, e.g. books, web sites, video clips etc.

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Here's a good place to start mate... Plenty of Iwama Students to pick their brains.

3. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

theres plenty out there, try aikidojournal.com you can order the weapons videos or dvd
    or www.bukiwaza.com
    www.iwama-aikido.com (for mpegs)
    just seach the web theres so much out there

4. Dave Humm

Aikiscotsman, I visited - http://www.iwama-aikido.com/
    Can I ask you a couple of question relating to the videos listed there?

1) The first thing I noticed was, the person doing the techniques appears to be iniciating, IE he is making very much the first move, is this typical of Iwama-Ryu ?

An example of this was the "shomen uchi" clips, I don't think I actually saw Uke make shomen uchi once.

2) In the various Suwari Waza clips most if not all the time the person doing the technique does not rise onto his toes, he stays in Seiza, is typical another Iwama-Ryu ?

Thanks for your input mate

Dave

5. aikiscotsman

Hi dave,

well the shomen thing is something if brought up before, If you get the chance to read BUDO there is a section in it about attacks.
    Osensei never saw Aikido as a self defence only, as in you never wait to be attacked. So in the book it says that all basic shomen tech start with tori iniciating a strong shomen strike to ukes face, then use his response to make tech. after that you have varations like shomen uchi komi where uke attacks shomen down on toris head(the most used one in aikikai) then theres different varations on the two depending on movement. So yes they are different the one you do is what doshu/tohei chose for the honbu sylabus

6. Dave Humm

Ta mate... makes sense.

Thanks.

7. aikiscotsman

Also as i was saying about being attacked, you never really wait you always try to influence ie offering part or moving into a postion that limits uks attacks and maybe leads him into your space(you no what im on about)
    When i was in japan sensei would do alot of shomen and make it important that you learn a good strong attack to ukes face with a strong kiai. the sawari waza i dont know which one you looked at, it may be a mistake on the vid, we sit in seiza first then up on toes as soon as you move uke or tori so maybe if he is remianing on toes it could be bad habit

8. aikiscotsman

where r u based about graham?

9. Graham

Graham Valued Member

I'm an aikido beginer, in England.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Mitsugi Saotome has some sword videos (two that I know of). He also has a jo video. You can order them through "Aikido Today Magazine."

The book "The Structure of Aikido" is all about the sword.