Kempo vs. Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Ziggy_789, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Ziggy_789

Ziggy_789 New Member

What would potenially be a more efficient form of fighting/self defense? Shotokan Karate or Kempo?

I am 6'4 fairly built and can get flexible enough for most kicks

Thanks

2. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I would suggest you check out the local Kempo and Shotokan schools in your city, The systems themselves vary from school to school. There are a lot of variables involved, the two most prevalent being who teaches it and what kind of audience its being taught to. I know this is probably not the answer you are looking for but belive me when I tell you it's the best answer to your question. Don't get too caught up in the name of the style, go see for yourself which one you like best. When you get to either school don't forget to ask if you can try out a couple classes for free, as this will help more than just looking alone.

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I'm a little biased (what was your first clue?) and don't want to say anyhting bad about a style with which I am not familiar.. but... I would suggest the Kempo is more efficient. It is a modern style based on study of motion and physiology and constant analysis of techniques.

More important is the quality of instructors that you have access to.

KenpoDavid

4. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

What style of kempo??

BTW as i am EXTREMELY biased but i say kempo(even though my name is joe karate, i study kempo, don't ask)

5. xubis

xubis New Member

I am biased towards shotokan, so far, none of us have gave him any good advice ;)

6. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Having practiced shotokan (and few other styles) I think it's no matter wich style you choose be shure it's tought in a hard self defence manner in the school you choose. Many schools are invested in one part of the style (kata , kihon, kumite) so that I think will matter more than the style you choose.

I after going to international training camps you start to notice how things are trained and the developement of the students, they are always a reflection of the sensei and his teaching.

So my advice is to look at the standard of the practices and try to guess wich is better (for you).

Regards Kerling