Kempo vs Aikido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xanth, May 1, 2013.

1. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I'm looking for a local school to send wife and two daughters to, to learn self-defense. I want it from a traditionally oriented school (e.g. not mma). All my experience has been Korean based, so looking at two Japanese styles is new to me. Are there any thoughts or opinions on each style as being better or worse for a 35, and two 5 year olds? Of course I'm going to visit each school and take a look, but not having any background in these styles I wanted to ask the experts, the map members.

Ohana Kempo

http://www.ohanakenpokarate.com/

Aikido
    http://www.hendersonaikido.com/

Thanks
    Xanth

p.s. Yes I could attempt to teach them KSW, it would be violation of my agreement and they wouldn't be nationally ranked...but I could do it if I wanted. I choose not to, not only because of the lag time in my own training, but also the desire for them to grow within the art we choose as a whole, something I can't do here with the lack of a Kuk Sool presence locally.

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Without any knowledge of the specific schools involved beyond their websites, in general Kempo will provide skills that are useful for self-defence far quicker than Aikido.

3. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

The Kempo school integrates Kajukenbo into their teaching, Kajukenbo has an interesting history as an art that was meant to survive the "dangerous streets of Hawaii". I come from a very biased standpoint and also from a very personal standpoint but Kajukenbo is a great style haha. You can take that with a grain of salt. Kajukenbo is focused in Self Defense. They focus more on the Emperado Method, and our school currently does the Gaylord Method but they are both related and are great styles. I would personally recommend the Kempo school for your family.

4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Also, if you are looking at Aikido, have you considered Judo? Judo is also a Japanese based grappling art and unlike MMA, Wrestling, Boxing or Muay Thai you get to wear pyjamas (I assume that is what you mean by traditional). Judo is quite a functional art, and is one of the more female friendly grappling arts (individual schools may vary).

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

if i had to pick from those two choices, i'd pick aikido. but i don't know anything about kenpo.

6. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

For your kids I would get them involved in a fun sport based art (like judo) with plenty of resistant sparing, the possibility of competition, and of coarse lots of belts to earn

Getting them into the habbit of compliant drills at thier age will be a hard habit to shake

7. OselLing

OselLing Valued Member

Why not send them along to both and see which one they enjoy the most?

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

9. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

I'm with OselLing, it's your wife and daughters that will be training, so I think it's a good idea for them to decide which art they all want to train in. Take them to a class just to observe the training, and then grab an ice cream while you all discuss the classes.

Now whether they're receive proper self-defense training is debatable (it pretty much always will be), but what little I've seen/know about kenp/kajukenbo it'll probably be a better choice as far as self-defense is concerned, especially if it's competing with Aikido.
    I agree with what others have said, maybe look into Judo or some other form of soft combat sport (boxing, kickboxing, Karate, etc.) since these will give plenty of opportunities for sparring where they can develop their techniques during a fight situation; but also the sport element may stimulate your family more making them stick to it for life. Of course I know nothing about your family so it's hard for me to say what they will or won't like, but you should.

As for the martial art being traditional. If you're reasons are so that they learn morals and ethics during class, well I doubt that any of these classes will compare to you since your family. Also IMHO the moral and ethical angle is one of the biggest frauds in the TMA industry, it's good in theory, but really bad in practice.

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

You mention you are looking at Japanese styles?

From glancing at their website, I can't see anything remotely Japanese about the Kempo school!

That's not to say they are bad, but if you (or your wife and daughters) are specifically interested in studying a Japanese art, then I'd definitely go with the Aikido dojo.

If not then go check them both out (if it was me I'd check them both out either way)

Gary

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

With two 5 year olds, I think it's most important that they just enjoy it. Realistically, they won't be able to learn any practical self defense for a few years. Getting them into the habit of going to class, being physically active and just training in general is probably a good thing. I guess my biggest priority for the kiddos would be finding an instructor I liked and respected who knew how to teach kids.

Also do judo. The correct answer is always judo.

PS Lad Gorg, boxing is a soft combat sport!? Good lord man, what do you consider a hard combat sport? Dog brothers?!

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

13. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Hahahaha!!! I was more thinking of amateur bouts with all the protective gear and all. But yeh it's still a bit rough for 5 yo's xD

14. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Thanks all for the responses so far; by traditional I was thinking more along the lines of formal I suppose. The classes use language and etiquette appropriate to the history and culture of the style and most likely, wear traditional clothing e.g. pajamas. I do realize that at 5, the practical self-defense is not going to be there for a bit. I'm hoping that by sticking to one art, the muscle memory will help serve them later in life... do a technique long enough and the motions become natural and habitual.

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Your not allowed to informally show anything to your children?

And again the answer is Judo, its traditional, it can be very formal, and children love it.

16. Giovanni

i know that we all want to tell xanth to do what we think "the best" for his kid and wife is. i also had to tamp down the creeping thought: just tell the kid to do judo, and tell the wife to do brazilian jiu jitsu, both of which are in las vegas.

but the man specifically asked us to choose between aikido and kenpo. as someone who seemingly has a black belt in a martial art (signature), i don't think he's a noob.

xanth: why don't you just have the kid and wife try both aikido and kenpo? see which one they like best.

17. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Not to dis you Giovanni, as your post is quite sensable, but I cant help but wave my judo flag high...My daughter started judo at age 5 (now 8), and whilst her fighting skills are OK, her breakfalls are great, and they have saved her from serious injury more than once

Now that's what I call self defence

18. Giovanni

i'm totally with you bro, in all your thoughts about judo. i'm just counting the days that my 4 and 2 year old boys start judo.

but what me, you, fusen, etc. are into isn't seemingly what xanth is into.

19. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Kempo has a pretty negative reputation in the USA these days due to Fred Villari and "United Studios of Self Defense".

Quality varies WIDELY. Aikido schools are usually pretty good if they're associated with a recognized organization such as the Aikikai or Goshin. Kempo seems more practical at the offset, but keep in mind that many police forces specifically train in Aikido because it works (though it takes longer to be able to use it effectively) and it allows more non-violent options.

I'll echo what the others have said here: check them both out with the family and see what they say.

I suspect the kids will prefer Kempo just from experience of being a father myself. At 5, I doubt most kids could appreciate the subtlety and grace of Aikido.

20. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Honestly, I only say the Kempo school because I saw they integrate Kajukenbo. Both are great arts and yes Aikido would help have more non-violent options. Kajukenbo Cafe has some feedback on his school (I'm not quite sure if I'm allowed to post links to other forums but for the sake of the OP, here goes!) http://www.kajukenbo.com/cafe/index.php?topic=3492.0