keichu ryu karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ziseez, Sep 26, 2004.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm a pretty hardcore atheist and I somehow manage to practice consistently and vigorously without beating the snot out of kids for their lunch money.

2. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

I personally believe in god, pray etc. I also swear, drink alchohol and sometimes act in inappropriate ways, probably a surprise to many but I'm far from perfect. :)
    I leave my personal beliefs outside the dojo along with my baggage. I turn up, try my best to do what's asked, help my training partners as best I can and leave.
    Works good for me.

3. KeichuStudent

KeichuStudent Valued Member

I was just stating that I did ask, so I didn't ask him all those questions is that so bad?

If you would like to talk to him he's on Facebook and anyway thanks I did have plenty of questions to ask him.

But I guess I have more now to ask in the future.

4. KeichuStudent

No that was not what I was saying.
    I was saying in a world perspective learning good morals matters.
    That is a fact and part of why we have so many foolish kids hurting others.
    I was both the bully and the victim so I would say from my own experience, that it is important to teach kids why it's wrong to fight in a manner that is unnecessary.

I believe you can teach kids discipline without God which happens at my dojo also. Not everyone is a Christian at the Karate studio I attend.
    I am just saying for me personally it adds something more in that I am practicing respect to God and to my fellow peers and teachers.

5. KeichuStudent

Your misrepresenting my point but okay that was not my intention.
    But my intention was that martial arts is a good way of adding discipline,respect, and compassion to a child's life.
    Learning right from wrong is definitely necessary and can keep a young kid from doing something horrible.
    Don't you think it is better to learn that early rather than later in life?

6. KeichuStudent

Hey Hatsie, no one is perfect especially myself I am not perfect and if I said I was I'd be a liar and a bad one at that.
    I am not going to pretend I don't swear sometimes(mostly when I'm upset)
    or act inappropriately sometimes. But I do my best to follow God better despite the highs and lows of life. It isn't always easy but I feel that God has spoken to me. If that makes sense, without God I truly believe I wouldn't be here. There has been many times where I was protected when I could have been murdered or raped. I have been extremely lucky despite being in unfortunate environments.

I do the same thing you do in the dojo and we pray and remember why we are at Karate. We are there to learn to defend ourselves, our loved ones, and to be peaceable as much as possible with people. But if it is necessary then defending ourselves and others is a priority.

7. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Yes I know what you mean, if your open to him you can feel him. I'd say in general he's looked after me with the big things in life, but he's also kicked me in the nuts more times than I can remember for the 'small stuff' ie. acting in inappropriate ways. Lets just say he's not waiting for judgement for me, I cop it almost instantly!
    But I don't preach to anyone ever, anymore than I like anyone preaching to me about not believing in god.
    But fwiw most people that know me wouldn't believe I'm a believer I don't think. As a senior once said to me at cell, ' life's too hard without him! Why not take the easy way?( believing)
    What may not impress you is I'm not a bible believer, I'm more a 'based on a true story' bible believer.

Any more god talk by pm though, I like to leave my beliefs outside even the 'virtual' dojo.

Cheers