keichu ryu karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ziseez, Sep 26, 2004.

1. KeichuStudent

KeichuStudent Valued Member

I know that my teachers aren't liars and I know that they would not knowingly misrepresent or give faulty information to there students.

I would suggest you meet Victor Marx and the other instructors before you judge them.
    Or at least talk to them if your so interested in the legitimacy of Keichu Do.
    It's far to easy to judge because you don't have enough information either to make a well informed decision.

Keichu Do reflects what I want to learn and my values as a Christian and especially the discipline I wish to instill in myself. I am by no means dissatisfied and maybe I don't have as much experience but that is why I am learning and Keichu Do is for me.

Thank you for your help and stimulating conversation, I will keep what you say in mind.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Something I did want to ask actually.

How does Christianity fit in with your Karate?

Is the Karate a vehicle for the teachings?

3. Dean Winchester

Does this bear any resemblance to the sword work you have seen?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZj2MriOYE&sns=em"]The Kata - "Musashi Kokoroken" - YouTube[/ame]

I ask because I notice the gentlemen has dedicated it to Mr Marx.

4. KeichuStudent

Christianity fits into my Karate because I am not doing martial arts just because I can.
    I am doing it to be a better warrior for God, and to learn what God wants me to be and not people. We pray before and after Karate and we read scripture from the Bible from time to time to better understand what God wants of us.
    The goal is not to hurt but to protect our loved ones and those who are defenseless.
    We do fight but we fight to protect others and to keep potentially deadly situations from occurring if possible.

It can be a vehicle for the teachings for people who want to walk in Christianity.
    But it doesn't have to be for people who do not want to learn it.
    Keichu Do is for all people no matter their religious beliefs.
    I came to Christianity before I knew Keichu Do was where I should be.
    But, I was always was a very scrappy, hot tempered girl when I was younger.
    I got in fights with boys a lot in school and it seemed like a lot of altercations came my way.If only I had, had Keichu Do before all of that then maybe I would have handled those situations better lol.

Anyway though, I have gained a lot of confidence and peace training at my dojo.
    I have learned a great deal in this past year and I know I will learn so much more.
    I feel good about it and everyone has a sense of teamwork and just happy to work on getting better.

Some of the strikes are familiar especially that overhead blow I have seen my teachers do. I have never seen this video which is pretty cool and I wonder if the gentlemen knew Soke Marx personally.

5. Dean Winchester

Thank you for that detailed reply. :)

I've always wondered about Christian Karate and the few people I have spoken to simply couldn't give me much of an answer.

I shall be blunt that clip was awful, I'd wager he has very little if any training in a traditional school of swordsmanship.

6. KeichuStudent

I try lol
    I wonder why they didn't, maybe they were afraid of getting judged.
    People really don't think highly of Christians but that is just what I have seen.

I never said he was good I just said the kind of strikes are familiar.
    My teachers were obviously a lot more skilled but I recognize what he's doing at least.
    Either he knew him or was a fan of Soke I guess but still it would be nice anyway to do a video and dedicate it to you no matter if his techniques weren't that good :p

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Dear Thor!!! That was simply horrible!

8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I must admit , I fail to see the need to bring any religion into the dojo , surely it's just a distraction from training ?

9. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Keichu- You have handled the criticism of your teachers better than others I've seen twice your age. I think this reflects very well on you and your teachers.

I am wondering how karate training shows you Gods will for your life?

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Never seen that version of Chinugui before (at 1:58).

Gary

11. Dean Winchester

I got the feeling it was more that they hadn't really given it much thought.

Raising the sword above your head and swinging it around does not a cut make. :D At the end of the day there's only so many angles you can swing a blade at.

A dedication is a nice thing to do I agree, it's nicer when you take the time and effort to do something correctly and to the best of your ability. It doesn't matter if you suck what matters is that you are taking the responsibility of that dedication seriously.

If someone were to perform Mass but made a mockery of Holy Communion because they simply wanted to do something to make themselves look good then it wouldn't mean much would it?

When I practice I bow to Kamindana, now there are certain Shinto aspects to that but my main thoughts are that at that moment in time my practice should respect the past masters of my art, the ones who paid literally in blood and sweat to develop the system.

I don't practice for looks I practice as we all do to develop my art but also to honour those who went before. I start pratting around and it's not respecting that.

I class making stuff up as pratting around too.

12. Dean Winchester

Bloody hell! Wouldn't fancy that!

Certainly not done as nonchalant as that.

13. Dean Winchester

^ This.

It's nice to actually talk to someone without them going "you haters you all suckzz, step on the mat yadda yadda yadda."

14. Dean Winchester

And he just had to put the name Musashi in there didn't he!

15. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I agree

16. KeichuStudent

Well for me personally, I don't consider following God bringing in religion.
    To me it is a personal relationship with my creator and knowing it's not enough to do martial arts just for myself. In our dojo it creates respect and in your perspective it would be good so students learn morals. Especially kids need to be disciplined and taught the value of respect and have compassion for others. So it is necessary if we just all did martial arts without respect or care for others. What would happen is martial arts would be for the bully not the victim who seeks self improvement and to handle hard situations.

17. KeichuStudent

Thank you Dave I appreciate that alot :)
    My instructors and God expect me to be a better example.
    I am still working on that, but I know I was meant to be in Keichu Do.
    Its funny you should ask, I didn't know it would be.
    I had a dream of meeting one of my teachers and training even before I started.
    It sounds odd but its true and I know God is preparing me for something.
    I know God wants me to love others and I know the lord desires for me to exercise restraint when it comes to my temper. Believe me I couldn't do it without God.
    I look forward to learning more all the time even when it gets rough.
    I recently got hit in the face by a stray elbow and I managed to laugh it off .
    I'm sure I will have some other more painful injuries but I'm content knowing that Keichu Do is part of Gods plan for my life.

18. KeichuStudent

Hey Dean I did get around to asking my teacher about swords.
    He did compete in Shinai tournaments :)
    I feel satisfied with his answer and he took first in a recent competition not sure if its over yet. But he took first in mens sparring so far that I have heard.

19. Dean Winchester

That means very little as far as sword work goes.

Shinai tournament could mean anything from Kendo to some homegrown competition. Eitherway it will be somewhat removed from traditional Kenjutsu, iai etc.

I'm sorry but your lack of knowledge of the subject is getting in your way, don't wish to sound harsh there.

Simple questions to ask him.

Which ryu-ha has he studied?

For how long?

Under who?

There is a big difference between a traditional system and something that has been created for competitive aspects or fun.

Now of course people can engage in modern sword systems, nothing essentially wrong with that. However if they are teaching then they need to be clear on what it is they are teaching.

It all comes down to the students knowing exactly what they are studying. Personally I think as long as you enjoy what you do and understand what it is then all is good.

The problems start when a student believes they are studying the use of the Japanese sword but those teaching have no actual connection to a system or tradition that transmits this.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  20. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

So are you saying that without introducing God (or religion) into martial arts we would end up with a bunch of bullies in martial arts?

If yes, that's not been my personal experience in 20 years of martial arts training.

Have you experienced (or observed) this in any other martial arts training?

On that same note, do you believe that kids can be taught discipline and taught the value of respect and to have compassion for others without God?