keichu ryu karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ziseez, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

The USKA as far as I know is no more,(not that it matters) but thanks for the link, ill read it tonight.

2. KeichuStudent

KeichuStudent Valued Member

3. KeichuStudent

Anyway guys thank you for the chat it was very educational and I definitely will think about more details of my Karate from now on :)

I really have to go right now but I will respond back later if I get the chance.

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

This post was caught up by our filter and has been left behind. I approved it but thought it should be highlighted so that it's not lost altogether.

5. KeichuStudent

Thanks Aegis don't worry about it though you can delete if you like :)

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

KeichuStudent,

Good luck with things and enjoy your practice. Please understand that we've seen many people get caught up in utter tosh and we also don't want to see people training in unsafe environments.

Weapons are serious, not something to be mucking about with and something that requires correct training. This type of training requires the correct mindset to transmit the teachings in a responsible manner.

Accidents can and will happen.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53303

On top of all that if you wish to study traditional Japanese swordsmanship or in this case swordswomanship :) then I'd imagine you would want to learn how it is used in actual traditions that teach this? This requires study in such a tradition, you can't do it any other way really.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. KeichuStudent

Thanks Dean I appreciate it and I feel that I am in a safe environment with my current dojo.

I know that I wouldn't even consider trying if I didn't feel that when the time comes my teachers will train me correctly. I have a long way to go before I reach weapons and a lot of maturing in martial arts and being disciplined about how I use the techniques taught. I can imagine thank you for the article and I would definitely not want to see anyone get maimed accidentally or not. I just want to learn it, I already know how to use a bow and I feel swordsmanship is something I would love to learn and master.

Lol swordwomanship sounds pretty funny but I feel that my instructor will be able to teach me all there is to know. My teacher Jeff Crothers I know has a lot of skill in weapons, and he has done a great job teaching me and my classmates.

I know he uses swords, and teaches us the basics of swordsmanship.
    Though I won't truly be learning until I reach a much higher belt.
    I am satisfied with my teacher and I know he will train me well.
    I like this video of him it is a little older and not about swords but definitely great still.

Anyway I really got to get some sleep I have had a long day working in a lab on genetics.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j21Z9Nobe2k"]Jeff Crothers Grand Champion Weapons Kata - YouTube[/ame]

8. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Are you saying you believe this article is correct? If yes, did you read the entire article even the section on the "Controversies"?

It says Mr. Marx claimed he had two PhDs but later recanted that he eanred those PhDs when he was called into question by the Bullshido investigation.

There were also some other interesting claims that were later found to be untrue and unsupported.

Did you even read the article in link that Dean posted earlier in the thread?

9. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Can you tell us why you like that video specifically? In other words, what makes this "great" in your opinion?

Also what is this supposed to be showing as far as skill in the weapon and can you point out some specific examples in the video?

10. KeichuStudent

Peter, I am not interested in the"controversies" surrounding Soke Marx.
    Yes I did read it but what bothers me is why you keep coming around to this?
    I care about the integrity and honor of my instructor and Victor Marx.
    I feel that because Soke Marx has never trained me personally I dont consider what he did and said a huge priority. By the way he died and I would appreciate not having to talk about him negatively any longer. It's really cruel actually whatever he may have done. God forgives people and loves them, I find it interesting that we as people are far from perfect yet we judge the most. As far as I know my current teachers and the martial arts I take has been a great experience and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Victor Marx and Soke Marx were not close until later in life because of how Soke was when he was younger.
    I feel that Soke was a good martial artist, I know that Victor Marx is a great martial artist and I feel that Soke taught him well.
    That to me is what matters not what Soke said or did in his past, it really is off the point now.
    The article was good because it showed a detailed version of what Keichu Do is about.

I liked this video because it shows my teacher doing his Weapon Kata very nicely.
    I mean I doubt I could do that without cutting myself, he's doing one of the higher belt Katas with his weapon of choice. I can't really say with expertise on weapons but Mr. Crothers is definitely doing his best as always, I am still a yellow belt and I haven't gotten that far so I can't tell you everything you need to know.

11. Dean Winchester

Unfortunately this will keep popping up, from your perspective all you can do is ensure you have an open mind and that your opinion is based on good solid information. That will require you to be interested in these controversies.

Peter will be looking at this from the point of view of if what the late Mr Marx built his system on is questionable then some of what you are training in will also be questionable.

FYI he's not a Soke and never has been, many people fall into a similar trap due to ignorance of the specific connotations the title suggests, he's not the first and won't be the last.

Don't get too hung up on it either, or what some may say, all you can say really now is that he was mistaken in his use of the word. While it does suggest he didn't understand certain things the important areas are the background of the waza, their intended context and the training methodology used. The gentleman is no longer here to defend himself so there's little point in digging it all up, especially at this present time.

I can understand Peter's views because for some of us the idea that there are individuals misrepresenting the arts and misleading their students really boils our blood.

I do wonder at the sword work your system delivers though, Japanese swordsmanship is a rather specific thing and while you can't generalise too much with it you are either doing it or you aren't. If you are then you will be studying a tradition that goes back some way and has a traceable and verifiable lineage. The teachings of lineage wil be transmitted via a ryu which is something rather unique and not just a "style".

12. Dean Winchester

Here's a few clips of Japanese swordsmanship.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2oLZ5afsQ&sns=em"]Araki Ryu Gunyokusoku (Iaïjutsu & Sojutsu) - YouTube[/ame]

Go to about 2:40 here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQB5Lc1C_a8&sns=em"]Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu - Part I | 天真æ*£ä¼é¦™å–神é“æµ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7LDXpAohjQ&sns=em"]Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu Kenjutsu Official Budokan Demonstration 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

These traditions go back hundreds of years, now that's not just "sword fighting" I'm on about I mean these specific traditions can be traced back from headmaster to headmaster. With some ryu things may get murky in places but overall it's a verifiable and continuing line.

13. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

If you want to overlook what appear to be significant issues and view your training through rosé colored glasses that's fine. However it still doesn't make them go away and people have a right to scrutinize this information and frankly current and prospective students should have an expectation that they are not being lied to.

As far as the weapon kata, my question is what criteria are you using when you say "it shows my teacher doing his Weapon Kata very nicely". What specifically is the kata demonstrating ?

Are the higher belt Katas interchangeable with different weapons? In other words, can someone do the same kata with any weapon they choose?

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I would suggest so as I basically saw yoko geri being done with kama...which is pretty weird to be honest and is indicative fo that horrible modern trend of all flash no fight

15. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Mr. Marx may not be around to defend himself; however his son appears to be possibly carrying on the system and may (or may not) be carrying on some of the same things.

In all fairness, I'm not sure what the son's specific role is now. Is he the new "soke"?

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I might also add that as far as "modern" karate systems go I have certainly seen a lot worse

17. Dean Winchester

I thought a similar thing watching some of the clips.

18. KeichuStudent

Well Dean I have read the controversies and that is all I can do for now.
    My teachers have never misrepresented themselves to me and that all the information I need now. If they do well I will address it if it comes to that.
    Viewing my teacher with my own eyes and my other instructors is enough for me.
    If I am curious about something then I will ask my teachers and I know they will do there best to give me a full answer.

Thank you for the videos there always fun to watch :)

Do you feel that Keichu Do misrepresents martial arts?
    I don't but that is I suppose just my opinion and I feel strongly about it.
    I am just as curious as you are about the sword and I will probably ask my instructor about it. I only know Mr. Crothers and Victor Marx both can wield a sword and there level of expertise. The only reason I haven't asked earlier is simply because I am not at a level to get to pick my weapon. I know we have Shinai but I don't know the full extent to how my teacher wields the sword. I only witnessed him using it one time and it's been awhile.

19. KeichuStudent

No Peter he is not, I hope someday you will meet him in person.
    There are very few men I could see as more honorable in this life.
    Believe me in my experience I have seen some awful men and I have pretty good intuition when it comes to trustworthy people.
    Despite his past which I only describe as truly terrible but God has blessed him is an understatement.

20. Dean Winchester

:)

Now read this following bit carefully because I'm not accusing your teachers of anything here.

That you know of.

This is the problem with being a n00b, you don't have the relevant knowledge and experience to make any significant judgements as far as technical issues go.

You don't have any background knowledge. For example Japanese swordsmanship, I keep going back to this because it's part of what I do, has certain tell tale signs that once you get some time in you can spot. This makes it easy to spot someone with no training at all. However there are those out there with lots of students but they haven't had a days real training in their life.

They manage this because the students don't know any better, you can't expect them to either.

Notice I haven't said your teachers are frauds, I'm pointing out that you may not be in a position to spot problems if they were there.

No problem.

I don't know enough about it to make that call. There is enough in its background to make me view it with critical eyes.

Again the above comes back to my comments about knowing what to look for.

Don't be worried about asking questions about your art or your teacher's background. There should never be a problem with answering such things.