keichu ryu karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ziseez, Sep 26, 2004.

1. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

can soemone give me any opinions on this style or maybe any info

2. Stick

Stick New Member

God bless you.

That's the response someone gave me when I asked...the name sounds like a sneeze. Besides that, when I emailed to ask questions, I was given a bunch of mystical talk and no direct information. From what I've been told on the net, it's a sport style of karate based on shotokan karate.

3. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

so tell me what all you know about it and how did you come to learn of it please.

4. R Strausbaugh

R Strausbaugh One Mild and Lazy Guy

If it's the style I'm thinking of, it was founded by an instructor named Karl Marx (not the Karl Marx) and is philosophically based on a Japanese belief system called Perfect Liberty. Physically, it seems to primarily resemble Shotokan, but also incorporates Cajun fighting moves which Sensei Marx learned while growing up (such as an Alligator Roll, etc.).
    Keep in mind, all of the above I'm posting from memory, and as such is prone to glitches. A web search should turn up more info.
    Hope this helps.
    Randy Strausbaugh

5. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

ur right,my sensei learned from him ( karl marx) and studied some other arts and created shisei ryu and my new sensei studied under him also was unmatched in the keichu karate system tournements i read, he also created his own style which is shin keichu ryu

6. Stick

Stick New Member

I emailed the grand master himself he wouldn't answer any of my very basic questions, when I asked which kata he taught, he told me that I'd have to buy the video tapes... :) Well, I didn't. I continued to ask around about him on different forums and former students were happy to post and send me pm's.

If you knew the answers to the question, why did you ask? Why not just ask your own sensei?

:eek:

7. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

I wanted to see some peopls opinions, Keichu ryu karate do is the first martial art system created from scratch, it has alot of jujitsu,judo, street fighting techniques, and some other stuff which i dont remember. It is said to be a harder style of the karates but people dont prefer it because it is not traditional they think, but it is over 50 years old.
    There are alot of world/national champions who trained in Keichu ryu karate do, its around 50 i believe, I know some things on it and ill probly ask more whenever i start.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  8. Stick

Stick New Member

Let me know what you think of it, I'm always interested in learning about other styles...I don't care if it's 'traditional' or not, effective is all that counts, when it counts.

PS: If you're able, let me know which kata they study.

9. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

I have not yet started it yet, im starting it on the 4th, from what I hear i like it because its a tough MA and I have a very good sensei.Kata wise I do not know.

10. Abraxas

Abraxas New Member

How'd you figure that? :confused:

11. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

i meant the first american,sorry

12. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Mkey your next sentence tells the opposite

So it's a stew like so many styles out there. Not that it's bad. Many call this MMA.

I always think it's odd when each generation of teachers makes a new style and stick some prefix to its name example "Shin".

Just my thoughts Kerling
    ps. Don't go KE on me and pull this a part and think of it as an attack on the style. The next gen teacher might dooing great things and so on.. just thoughts.
    pps. KE don't take offence to the above comment I used you as a reference.
    ppps. Thats it Kerling SHUT UP and go weightlifting.

13. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

i totally agree with you but the sensei which created shin keichu ryu is awesome and i see that he is a great teacher.

14. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

Keichu information

Hi! Here's my understanding of the Keichu system, much abbreviated:

Soke Marx created Keichu Ryu over a process of years, using his background as a trained boxer, streetfighter, bodyguard, bouncer, etc., to develop a self-defense system that then grew into a comprehensive, multi-faceted martial art. I'm a bit shaky on all the historical ins and outs, such as why there is Keichu Ryu and Keichu Do, but I do know that Keichu, as an entire system, was first taught publicly in Crowley, Louisiana about 45 years ago.

I've trained directly under Soke, as well as under some of his students, to black belt level. In the course of my training, I've had the honor to get to know some of the other Keichu black belts, and to oberve that there are some differences in the system, depending on lineage and how the system has evolved over the years.

As for kata: my understanding as a karateka is that kata is the fundamental means of tranferring any system to its students. Thus, it became necessary for Keichu to have its own kata, teaching its own techniques.

Keichu is not a system derived from another system. Soke did not take, for example, elements of Shotokan and change them more to his liking. Instead, many of his self-defense and fighting techniques were developed literally on the street, and tested over and over in real world situations.

Since Keichu's earliest origins were as a self-defense system for women, I have found that the self-defense techniques are realistic for small people facing larger attackers.

Although not all Keichu Ryu school share the same philosophical or religious worldview, most Keichu-Do schools are, to some extent, more judeo-christian than Asian in their philosophical orientation.

From http://www.keichudo.com:

Keichu-Do is a unique, multifaceted, diverse, and effective martial art system. Cajun born, the original "Soke" (or founder) Karl W. Marx based the martial arts style on elements of Karate, Judo, Jiujitsu, boxing, American wrestling, and street fighting techniques. It is a truly comprehensive system created specifically for Americans to enable them to protect themselves against the way Americans fight. It is not only an excellent self-defense system, it is a sport that is recognized world-wide by traditional martial arts systems. Keichu students continue to gain the reputation of being some of the best trained and most well rounded martial artists.

Our desire is to teach and inspire the young and old alike to attain their best in learning and perfecting the skill of martial arts. Keichu Do martial arts training is one of the best ways to prepare you and/or your child for daily life spiritually, mentally, and physically.

Most martial arts stem from a specific religion or philosophical worldview. Keichu is no exception. The style name "Keichu-Do" translates as "devoting oneself entirely to the way". Keichu students have always known that dedication is the key to success in any endeavor. Mr. Marx, as head of the Keichu family, instructs that this devotion has a higher level. His students are trained as good karateka, and hear the message of the Gospel. We are not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. While we gladly teach students of all faith backgrounds, it is our prayer that all will come to know the Peace of Christ.

Instruction in this program is threefold: physical, mental, and spiritual training. Keichu students are held accountable to the standards of the Dojo and to a high level of moral and ethical standards.

Some of the benefits of Keichu for the student: improved flexibility and agility; greater awareness of surroundings; endurance and aerobic fitness; coordination; accuracy and precision; confidence and strength; character development such as respect for others; diligence and effective work habits; self-discipline; focus and attentiveness; eagerness for lifelong learning; and, foundationally, Judeo-Christian ethics.

[OK, so this was a large nutshell...] :eek:

15. R Strausbaugh

R Strausbaugh One Mild and Lazy Guy

An excellent summary, though. Well done!

Randy Strausbaugh

16. Stick

Stick New Member

Does that mean they don't use shotokan kata?

17. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

Correct. At least none of the Keichu schools that I know of, either in the US or elsewhere, teach anything but Keichu kata.

18. KeichuStudent

KeichuStudent Valued Member

I train in Keichu Do which what we just call it, it used to be called Keichu Ryu but I guess Keichu Do was just simpler. But, I love this martial arts it's the only Christian martial arts around but like Rebecca said it open to all religious backgrounds.
    Right now I am only a yellow belt and I have been training for over a year now.
    I have learned so much, we learn boxing techniques,grappling more jiujitsu style, and lots of awesome karate kicks. Keichu Do is a very practical martial arts designed specifically for self defense but can be used for tournaments and my Sensei's have won a lot. But, Keichu Do is more than just winning tournaments and defending yourself.
    We learn to improve ourselves, spiritually, mentally, and physically.
    I wouldn't choose another martial arts over Keichu Do and I feel that I am becoming more and more well rounded in martial arts every day I go to the dojo.

19. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Last post in this thread before the necro:
    07-Oct-2004, 02:51 PM

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Any reason why they appear to be using the title Soke in the system?