Keeping it interesting.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kframe, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm not being condescending, but you work the average 8 hours per day. The same time the majority of the country work.

As I said , there is nothing wrong with dropping martial arts, but you aren't answering my question. How clean is your diet, how good is your hydration and how well do you sleep?

You can ride your bike like an Olympic athlete, but fail in your nutritional needs or your rest, then the biking is for nothing.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Drop martial arts for an extra 2 hours.

Implement family activities that involve physical activity. Go for a family walk, or to the park, or practice sports outside if you have children. There are numerous things you can do to implement more physical activity throughout the day and include your family in it (or not), you just have to sit down and think about what you can do.

If dropping the weight is that important to you, you'll figure out ways to get it done. All we can provide here on the forum are ways to go about doing it based on scientific evidence and personal experience. It's up to you to implement them.

3. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Look I have been following the same eating path since I started loosing weight. Primal. I try to be very good about my diet. Easter not withstanding apparently.. I drink plenty and get about 7 hours of sleep a day.

Wake at 5am ride the bike, get kids meds, go to work and then practice.

4. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I don't really want to drop martial arts. I guess I just wish they were more of a work out. I really do have a desire to learn how to fight.

5. Ero-Sennin

Not if you increase your physical activity throughout the day! You can have a diet of 10,000 calories of Twinkies, but if you burn 11,000 calories a day you'll still drop weight. You're just going to feel like a turd physically during the process. :p

6. Ero-Sennin

I didn't want to drop MMA training when I was younger and started college, but I had to work 40 hours a week to pay for school and I just didn't have the time. Priorities man, priorities.

7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Im going to see if i can swing a personal trainer visit each week. Cant do it full time as they are expensive but maybe they can help.

8. Ero-Sennin

If you do go the personal trainer route, don't go for the workout as much as for the information they can provide. When you contact a gym let them know you are seeking information on weight loss techniques involving both increased physical activity methods and exercise techniques. This is important because personal trainers tend to push their clients through a workout 3-5 times a week with recommendations instead of really emphasizing why they are doing certain things. For most people, a PT is a quick fix and motivational tool instead of a source of information. It's important to let the gym's coordinating staff know this because they will have PT staff that are more geared towards informing clients than others.

Your sessions should involve discussion on scientific data associated with increased physical activity and exercise, and exposure to different methods of exercise. Don't be surprised if your PT says, "let's just go for a walk for the hour and I'll discuss why physical activity is important." ;)

I did this for my brother a little while back, so don't think you're doing something strange by telling them you're not looking to be pushed through a workout each visit.

9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Thanks for the laugh.

You don't want to deal with inefficient training methods but you are relying on one of the most inefficient training methods available - high volume medium intensity cardio.

I burn more calories in a 20 minute bodyweight circuit than you do in a 90 minute cycle, but what can I say, I just don't have enough time in the day to deal with inefficient training methods.

This is your thread, what do you actually want out of it?

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Holy, I honestly don't know much about body weight work outs. I know I did them in my former mma class and I remember being very sore and tired but my monitor telling me I didn't burn much calories. I can track the amount of calories burned in my high volume medium intensity cardio. I cant see how that is inefficient, however can you provide some evidence that it doe not burn as much calories as body weight exercises? The only point of reference I have is my monitor which at that time told me my output was a lot lower then my cardio days.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm doing the T25 programme at the moment, which is body wight stuff and aerobics essentially. For comparison I burn 500 to about 650 calories in a 25 minute session.

Mitch

13. holyheadjch

Ok, so step one is to ignore your heart rate monitor's calorie count. It's probably not accurate and most people forget to update their weight, leading it to overestimate more and more over time, but even if it was accurate, it's not the whole story.

High intensity interval training has been shown to lead to greater losses of fat even though fewer calories were burned during the period of exercise itself. Most people attribute this to the much greater 'afterburn' (formally: Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC)) you get from high intensity training. The results of one such study are here: http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html but there are many more - to summarise, high intensity exercise burns up to 9 times as much fat per calorie burned as endurance training.

I used bodyweight circuits as an example, because that's what I tend to use when I do HIIT, but the same applies to any form of high intensity training.

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

15. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Ill look it up. Thanks for the suggestion. Is it more of a beginner or intermediate or advanced work out?

A friend suggested I try insanity but I don't know enough about it.

16. holyheadjch

I don't think you'll have a great time with insanity, it is very tough and most people find it too much if they don't already have a really good base. Plus - why pay for something you can get for free on the internet?

The crazy 8 circuit is a good place to start in terms of bodyweight circuits.

You might want to try hill sprints - find a hill that's 50-100m long and as steep as possible, then after warming up, sprint up it, walk back down, rinse and repeat. You do it on a hill because the gradient means you can't actually run that fast, which reduces the risk of injury and it also reduces the pressure on your joints. It's horrible, but it works really really well.

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Mitch, I looked up t25 and it looks interesting. Are you seeing results? It includes a free resistance band, do all the work outs require a resistance band?

18. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Firstly I want to apologize for getting ****y with you guys. You came in to help me and I crapped on it. Im sorry. Im going to take your advice and run with it.

I found some interesting Bike intervals on youtube. Even found some beginner/intermediate/advanced intervals. Going to try the beginner ones tomorrow morning.

Regarding t25, I am having a hard time confirming if you require equipment to do it. I have seen people say you need no equipment and others saying you need a pull up bar(not that I can do them) and a resistance band or dumbbell. Can anyone confirm if you require equipment on T25?

19. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Did intervals this morning.. I found a template online and followed it with some modifications. The one I found was odd, 12 seconds sprint with higher resistance, 8seconds lower resistance and slower pace. I upped the recovery to 12 seconds. I had a 5min warmup and 3 minute cool down.

Total ride time was 21minutes.

What do you think of this interval guys? Where can I improve it for my next interval session?

20. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Sounds like an interval to me :D

More importantly, how did it make you feel during and afterwards?

If I were doing this, I'd keep a record of how long each section (sprint/recovery) was, how many sprints I did, and how long the total work took (like you have), but also: what resistance setting I used (for sprint and recover), and what pace I did during both sprint and recover (is there a minimum RPM or something?), and how I felt after (some qualitative scale: 5-great, 4-alright, 3-meh, 2-pass out, 1-death).
    Then next time, I might aim for one of the following as an 'improvement on last time':

1) slightly shorter recovery period
    2) more repetitions of sprint/recover
    3) higher resistance on sprint
    4) higher pace during during sprint (record as minimum RPM or something)
    5) feeling better afterwards (using your scale)

I hope this helps; I can see you're frustrated, but I can also see you're persistent and determined, so stick at it and you'll find a way!