Keeep Getting Ill

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pretty In Pink, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I keep getting sick after training. Can't avoid a cold or anything more serious. Twice in two weeks that I couldn't get to college due to colds.

What should I do?

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

How many days a week do you train...

3. Pretty In Pink

Recently not a lot. Once or twice really.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It is that time of year so bear that in mind. My family's all had colds and then all four of us got norovirus!
    You're in college IIRC and stuff can sometimes go through students like a tummy bug in a primary school.

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Do you mean "I keep getting viruses from other people at training," or "I keep getting gastrointestinal distress after a hard workout?" Because those are totally different issues. The former...take vitamins, get rest, and accept that wrestling with people is going to pass bugs around in early winter, and hopefully your immune system will adjust in time like it does for teachers.

If you keep having gastrointestinal issues after training, you may have irritable bowel syndrome and exercise is one of your triggers. That's my situation, but it can be mitigated with prescription medications (hyoscyamine or dicyclomine), dietary changes, meditation, etc. If you're having flu-like symptoms after training but you're not actually ill with a virus, see a doctor. My day-to-day quality of life dramatically improved once I went on a low dose of IBS medication.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

How is your sleep and diet?

An ostensibly healthy young man like yourself shouldn't be getting ill that often. I'd go to the GP.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Are you feeling run down and tired a lot?

Were you previously training multiple times a week weights and bjj?

8. Pretty In Pink

It's cold like symptoms. Diets not great, sleep about 6-7 hours a night.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Could simply be overtraining it weakens the immune system makes you feel bad and easily catch colds. Can take a few weeks to get over

Of course it's also the time of year for colds lol

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  10. David Harrison

Get some vegetables in yer.

11. Pretty In Pink

Damn man, hope you guys recover quick!

Smitfire likes this.
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You too man. We had a HORRIFIC 24 hours but all seem good now.

13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

This time of year is awful for it.
    If you go anywhere with a group of other people, the virus spread around.
    Change in weather, your body takes time to adjust and is a little weaker during the change.
    Extra viruses around
    Body weakens whilst it fights the viruses.
    Add any strenuous exercise..
    Etc
    6-7 hours sleep is ok depending on your body, but also quality of sleep can contribute.

I've been on a deload/reduced workout for about 2-3 weeks as I always feel I'm on edge of getting "something":.
    You know the aches, nose gets bunged up, a bit of a cough.
    I ease up, it goes away, I resume or up the training and back to the aches and cold symptoms.

It winds me up! Usually from September to December is the same every year.

Over training could be a factor if you were training more, but my unqualified perspective is its mostly environmental.

14. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

If you think it is viral, I’d try vitamin c and zinc. Plus hand washing, regularly but not obsessively. A sustained release supplement can help to boost your immune system, particularly if your diet is not good.

I find air quality can be an issue because of spending more time indoors and the air is dried out through central heating. Sore eyes, blocked nose and sore throat can be an air quality issue.

If you think your diet could be better, it may help to improve it and your hydration. Hope you are feeling better soon. There’s nothing more annoying than stuff getting in the way of training, IMO.

15. David Harrison

^^^ Yep, hydration is important.

I'm surprised at people talking about a season of constant illness. Fit people shouldn't be getting laid out by colds on a regular basis. Norovirus and the like, fair enough, but the fit and active people I know don't suffer in the winter beyond a bit of moderate sniffles every now and again. Brigid is on to something with central heating and air con though - the more time you spend outdoors the better. I went for years without a cold when I was training outdoors most days.

axelb likes this.
  16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Aww...look at all the UK residents talking about winter.....it makes me smile at how cute you all are.......:)

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Get the flu jab.

Also it's wintertime, that's when everyone gets Colds, (hence the name "colds") so if you spend your time in close contact with groups of people during this time, you will get more colds, then the average person.

It's also probably an outlier event, I won't worry about it, but I would get the flu jab.

axelb likes this.
  18. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

It’s all right for you, with your warm Canadian winters. You have no idea what real cold weather’s like.

Try coming to the UK in winter. The woolly jumper emerges from hibernation. Umbrellas are everywhere. And the less said about bobble hats the better. It’s fashion hell. You Canadians wouldn’t understand.

Frodocious and axelb like this.