Kaze no Ryu?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nickh, Nov 14, 2006.

1. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Anyone heard of Kaze no Ryu?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOP8m9JPA7E&mode=related&search="]YouTube[/ame]

Lots of sword stuff here.

Is it real?

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

...is it real?

*I know nothing abut EMA
    *it's not done with "aliveness" (the opponent is rather a dummy than a resisting opponent)
    *the style shows different weapons matching eachother
    *the style integrates grappeling with weapons

My first point sets the base for my comments.
    The second point is an indication that you will have a hard time judging the "effectiveness" of the techniques demonstrated in the video.
    My two last comments indicates that the system have a base in reality (IMHO; based on my experience with "real" WMA).

3. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I was NOT impressed at all. The sword work seemed very superficial, and the cutting was terrible. The empty hand work seemed to be the same way to me. That being said, it is almost impossible to tell a whole lot, especially where weapons are concerned, from a poor quality YouTube video. Of course, the fact that their site claims that their school is older than the oldest acknowledged koryu in Japan makes me pretty darned leery. Combine that with the fact that the only mention of this art comes from their web site, and you now have my personal opinion on it. It could be a legitimate koryu art with a proveable and storied history. It could be. :)

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Looks like someone has been copying too many Nihon No Kobudo videos. They also call it Ogawa-ryu. Check this thread out on the jujutsu section of MAPs forum.

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I couldn't help but laugh at the part where the guy in white(I'm assuming the instructor from the way he's portrayed) reaches for the student's arm to put it in a lock, and misses a bit, and then the student moves his arm most of the way there before the instructor grabs it and finishes the lock.

6. nickh

nickh Valued Member

So you mean the only genuine thing about that video is the music by Clannad? :woo:

7. Kogusoku

Do you mean that I have to go back, watch that drivel again and see if they really use Clannad's music now? :bang:

8. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

The one thing I noticed was the sword techniques. Some of the sequences had the hands very low while striking, which is a big no-no... it leaves one's head wide open. The soprano sax player had a nice tone, though. ;)

-Mark

9. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

Could some of the folks that have lived in Japan correct me if I am wrong?

My understanding of Japanese is that the term "ryu" is also pronounced as "nagare". When you use the term as part of a word, you use it as "ryu." But when you use it as a word on it's own, you use the term "nagare."

So why do they say kaze no ryu instead of kaze no nagare? From my experience, it seems that they are not Japanese and are trying to make a name up. But I would like the input of those with more experience than I.

10. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Kaze no Ryu means the "school/branch/style of the wind"....Nagare is a noun that means "to flow"..It's usage is different although the kanji used is the same.. 流 / 流れ。
    風の流 Since it doesn't have the " れ " after the Ryu kanji it can be assumed that one is referring to the school rather than the flow of the wind..Which would be possible if slightly awkward..
    風の流れ would mean the latter sentence.. But perhaps better illustrated with water..
    水の流 The school of Water... (Or, depending on context the school called Mizu no Ryu)...Although "Suiryu" would work better in Japanese....It's the same thing..
    And 水の流れ meaning the flow of water... Mizu no nagare.. Although I would agree that context is everything..
    The problem isn't really with the Japanese used..It's everything else...

11. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

Nice explaination, fifthchamber, much better than I would've given (my Japanese is very limited) :tup:.

I'll put my copy of Vaccari back on the shelf :O :D.

As an aside, how did you get the kanji to display properly in your post (different fora support different methods and it'd be good to know for future reference what MAP uses)?

12. fifthchamber

When I type it I leave a space between the 漢字 and the roman letters..This means that the interface accepts the Kanji as being standalone I think...As for how I type it..I used the Japanese keyboard that came with the Laptop I use...I'm not sure what else I can add to that..I'm not sure what you would do if you were using a western type keyboard but would guess the language capabilities on the new Windows systems are okay for most of the forums...
    Sorry I can't help with that much...I just typed.. :p
    Regards.

13. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

:D

Thanks for the further elaboration, fifth.

Methinks I should've paid attention to your location in the post header :) :O.

14. Kogusoku

Yep, they do work mate.

You just have to add Japanese into your language preferences and possibly use your rescue disc to install the fonts, IME etc. Works fine from a generic English ASDF keyboard.

簡単だよ! :D

15. fifthchamber

Hi Steve,
    Yeah...I reckoned so but couldn't say for sure either way because I have only used it here...
    Is the transfer as easy it is for the Japanese Keyboard?I would guess so, but would be interested to know what you do to change fonts..
    And I reckon you would be interested to know that I managed to find out what the missing bit we both had was....It's simple but I'm glad I remembered yesterday to ask!
    Regards.

16. Kogusoku

You'd be surprised how easy it is, but you do need your Windows XP recovery disc to install the correct fonts. Keyboard changes are nominal, as you write as you would in romaji.

And as for that missing bit, I am so glad to hear that man! Will contact you about that later. :D

*We Now Continue With Our Normal Programming*

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006