Katas

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Light123, May 9, 2008.

1. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Impractical Rules

One of my early tournament experiences had rules similar to this. Basically the only valid target was your opponent's torso. I was warned for throwing a punch to my opponent's head, despite the fact that there was no contact what so ever. After this my opponent proceeded to cross his arms over his chest, and start kicking at me repeatedly with the same leg, balancing himself on the other. I stayed just outside his range, timed his kicks, stepped in, caught his ankle, and shoved my hand skyward, dumping my opponent on his pride. I was disqualified for sweeping a supporting leg. I smiled, sat down, and decided from then on to only compete in tournaments with rules that allowed for actual martial art competition to take place. Light or no head contact (thrown shots allowed), medium to heavy body contact, sweeps and take downs allowed, no knee or joint attacks, point and non-stop divisions. You don't have to fight UFC style to have a little bit of friendly competition. :cool:

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Do you have any suggestions for me to practice sparring?

Did i mention I am visually impaired?

3. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Use Your Strengths

TT4- The more you tell me about your circumstances, the more I feel that you need to focus on taking it to the ground. IsshinRyu uses a lot of throws and locks from what I've seen. I'm sure you could spar well this way. As to performing kata, I think a rolling stool, similar to the ones doctors use in exam rooms may give you the mobility and turning capabilities you're looking for.

4. Light123

How do you know about isshinryu?

5. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Knowledge Is Power

I've been a martial arts enthusiast for most of my life. I read a lot. I have friends who have studied various styles. Google is my friend. I am far from being an expert, but I do consider myself quite knowledgeable about martial arts. I always try to keep my mind open and my cup empty. :)

6. Light123

Ah, Bruce Lee philosophy. What do you teach?

hey! today I tried something new. my buddy, who doesn't study MA, was holding me up from behind and i did my kata like that (standing) WITH the turns. Wat do you make of that?

7. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Tools For The Job

Bruce, The Tao, Yoda :p

Here's some info on where and how I train: www.iron-body.com

Here's a link to me: www.bentmonk.com

I teach Shaolin Adapted Realistic Techniques...Shaolin A.R.Ts for short. This is a combination of martial, chi kung, and fitness training that I can use to tailor my student's training to their individual goals. For example, I currently have a student with mild cognitive impairment, slight mobility and dexterity issues, and degenerating vision. He is one of my most motivated students. He trains hard. One of his goals is to use his training in competition. Due to his circumstances we decided that he would train for a grappling only event. I do not train BJJ, but I have a friend who is an amature MMA fighter and is helping with his training.

It's cool that your buddy was willing to help you out, but wouldn't it be cooler if you did your own thing under your own power?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  8. Light123

I have power? You mean I can throw fireballs? :D

Welllll, um...i don't know...What am i missing? :confused:

9. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Soul Power :)

It's Chi, not fire. :p

I meant that it was cool of your friend to hold you up so that you could do your Kata, but I don't know how this could help you with your goals. When adapting something as complex as the martial arts, it is not important that everyone do their techniques the same. What matters is that every one's techniques are effective.

10. Light123

I'm not sure what my goals are or if I even have any in MAs. It just seems like pleasure. Butsometimes i do wish i could get in a real fight at least once in my life but i know that must be avoided. have you been attacked before?

11. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Ugly Business

Training for the pleasure of training is great. I have not been attacked, I did once try to help a friend who was in trouble. I ended up in a two on one situation. I got some bumps and bruises. It could have been worse, but they were more interested in my friend. I have been into all things MA since I was a kid and saw Kung Fu on tv. I decided to train as a way to lose some weight and find a fun alternative to traditional physical therapy. I decided that since I would be studying MA instead of just working out, I wanted my techniques to work and work well if I ever needed to help myself or a friend again. As long as you are enjoying what you are doing and find value in it, that's all that matters. Many of my most dedicated and successful students have no wish to spar or fight at all. I've just seen a few disabled people who went to a MA school looking for self defense and were shown ineffective techniques for their individual circumstances. Given my personal circumstances and experiences, I thought I might be able to help. :D

12. Light123

I had a course in self defense last semester. I'm not sure how effective the techniques are. I wasdoing them from the ground. The only technique against a standing opponent I wasshown is a takedown where I grab the heel with one hand, pull, and push on the area above the knee with your forearm. I don't think it works. I did it on a resisting friend and he can stick his other leg back to keep his balance.

13. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

The Common Sense Technique

I see what they were going for in theory, but it feels like they made it up on the fly without testing it themselves. I can't comment objectively on what techniques I feel may work for you, since I can't actually see you.

As for myself, my balance is weak. I have a strong upper body. I train to make my punches as powerful as possible. In a real situation I will get one maybe two shots in before my opponent retaliates. I have to make sure that my shots are hard enough to stun or knock out my opponent. Because I lack a solid base it is very difficult for me to take down or throw an opponent. They have to be stunned, preoccupied with my hands, or seriously off balance for me to execute a solid take down and finish. I still have a long way to go. I was training with my MMA body a while ago and hit him squarely in the face with a nice three punch combination. Instead of being stunned, as I went for the take down, he shook off the shots, dropped to one knee and planted a stiff right jab into my solar plexus. Air left the bod, I hit the deck, Wes said, "Nice combo dude.", and helped me up.

I also use my brain. I don't go to places where trouble may be. I rarely if ever travel alone. I don't start trouble. I am considering getting a conceal/carry permit. I love to spar and I love to spar hard, but on the street I'm going to worry a lot more about staying alive than I am about how much like Jet Li I look. :D

14. Light123

I'm pretty sure they made it up.

I've wanted to learn MA ever since i was a kid. Isshinryu is my first real MA. My dad was a 5th or 6th degree black belt in FMA and was very dangerous. Someone told me how a bunch of people were making fun of him and a guy was trying to take my dad's gun. The situation was making my dad mad, so he said to the guy who was trying take his gun "Try it again." so the guy started to reach for his gun, but with the speed of lightning dad fired his finger at the guy and th nextthing you knew the guy was out cold on the ground with his arm still out.

My dadsaid I should start FMA because i am part Filipino. But there are no FMA here that I know of. My dad wouldve taught me if he had the tim, but he's gone now. He is a fallen hero to my state.

By the way, I have relatives in Louisville. ;)

15. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Family Style

It sounds like your Dad was one tough customer. FMA is quite effective. The knife and stick work is awesome. If you're ever going to be in town, let me know. We could hang, talk training, work out. I'll do the same if I'm going to roll up your way.

16. Riq P

Riq P New Member

Hi, Would you be able to perform your katas while in water? Wading chest deep in a pool would perhaps overcome your balance problem and allow you to do the turns.
    If this works you could also perform some sparring while in water, lifesavers and lifeguards are trained to do releases etc in water, I've tried it it's fun.

17. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Aqua Fu

Good idea. Zero impact on the joints and tendons, no harm if you fall. It will also give you some idea of where your center of gravity is and how to be more stable when you're out of the pool. Nice one RP.

18. Light123

My dad WAS a tough customer. His favorite thing was pressure points. he taught most of my family.

It wouldnt be too much of a problem if you were rolling here. But in Louisville, it would probably be difficult. But how do I know you're not a...thing? (no offense meant.) ;)

I can stand up in water! Yeah, if i start falling I get lost (visually) though. I sould try that next time i'm in a pool.