Katas !!!! Ba Sai Dai

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Martial7, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Is that the association that Sensei Ohta formed because he was annoyed that Andy Sherry was elected KUGB chief instead of him?

Profanity removed. Please do not swear - Gaskell

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  2. Shotowarrior

Shotowarrior New Member

No actually, Ohta Sensei formed the JKAE partly for the wishes of the late Enoeda Sensei, whom was a great friend to Ohta San. He wanted JKA Karate to be spread throyghout the UK. Now the JKAE is bigger than KUGB partly due to KUGB clubs joining JKAE as the KUGB are in a time of dissbanment. Now do not dishonor my Sensei in that feeble way. Arigato!

3. Cheap shot Moosey, but well prepared ...
    ... as if you were so uninlightened ... or not?

Regardless of perception as to why these things went on the Karate is good, the Cheif Instructor is (in my oppinion) phenomenal and I'm inclined to agree with Shotowarriors response ...

Not convinced about the KUGB 'being in a time of dissbanment' thought, having said that I did hear that Sensei Christopher has started his own EKGB affiliated Association with some other KUGB guys. Anyone else heard anything like that?

Has to be said tho' (to get back on target) there are considerable small differences in Bassai Dai, between the 'JKA way' and the 'KUGB way' especially since they share quite a close history.

I'd be inerested to see any other variation or versions of the kata from Association to Association or Style to Style if anyone has an insight?

Cheers
    J

4. Paul Herbert

Paul Herbert New Member

I would argue that the KUGB was Sensei Enoeda's lifes work. I would also argue, infact I know that he wouldn't want JKA Karate spread throughout the UK at the expense of the KUGB. He would of wanted both promoted together as they were for so many decades.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

oops - sorry!

Apologies - I disagree with your explanation but agree that it was a cheap shot on my part.
    I genuinely wondered if he trained at the club where they do that course each year - I'm guessing it would have been before the kugb/jka split?

Have seen a couple of differences between shotokan clubs - i.e. some start with the same 'upright' opening 'salutation' as in jion/jitte while others start with the hands roughly in front of the belt knot.

6. nashi no ki

nashi no ki New Member

I learned a very different bassai dai, I think. Thats just because of difference in style.
    I learned it as advanced kata, because we use much slowmotion kamae in this kata. Which is thought to be very difficult to interpet when you're still in your kyu's.

7. hidden_cloud

hidden_cloud New Member

little late although...

alright... so this topic seems to have been dead for a while... but Bassai Dai has been one of my tournament kata and I have worked it for a long time. Its also known as "Penatrating or Breaking the Defences" So that kind of gives you an idea that the movements should be big and your attention should be strong

8. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Bassai Dai...this brings back sad memories of my ****o-Ryu days.

You see...I studied there for 4 years or so, and eventually made brown belt. I grew very close to my instructor, and began teaching classes for him and working with his other businesses. It got to the point where I'd get a phone call, and he's say, "I can't make the advanced class! Go wear my gi, grab a brown belt from the back, and teach class!"

Good times...but the problem was that because we were always busy, he stopped teaching me advanced "Black Belt" kata. At one point during class, I asked to learn "Bassai Dai", since it is required for Shodan. He said, "It takes too long...I'll show you later...instead, I'll show you Rohai."

While I no longer study Karate, I've ALWAYS wanted to learn Bassai Dai just out of principle.

May you achieve
    Satori

9. TalkMartialArts

TalkMartialArts Valued Member

10. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

A great set of videos - that 'JKA Version' link deserves special mention as a source of reference. Excellent :)

11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Well add it to the Karate Links sticky then! ;)

12. TalkMartialArts

TalkMartialArts Valued Member

13. CNYMike

CNYMike Valued Member

Apologies for not having read all of this thread. But I thought I'd drop in a quick answer:

No, Bassai Dai shows up in Shotokan, ****o-ryu, and other styles with the same roots. Altogether, I think there's somethng on the order of two dozen "Bassai" kata, although most go by the Chinese name, "Passai."

****o-Ryu has three of the series in its curriculum -- Bassai dai, Bassai Sho, and Tomari Bassai. I know Bassai Dai and I learned Tomari Bassai, but my memory of the latter is somewhat hazy.

Regarding the length of this kata ... well, next to some Chinese forms, karate kata barely exist! When you've done a Tai Chi form that takes 20 mintes to run through once, a karate kata that takes two minutes and cycles through the "H" pattern twice is nothing to whine about.

So don't whine about it! :)

Hope this was informative and helpful.

Hormat,

Mas Mike

14. Martial7

Martial7 Valued Member

WoW

i cant believe a thread that i started has lasted almost a year. thanks 2 everyone for giving their insights. i wont be practicin this beautiful kata no time soon, atleast not till my pins and screws come out. i got frustrated and took it out on a metal beam. lets jus say the beam won!!!! gotta wear this cast 6 weeks and then hopefully back 2 competitions!

15. CNYMike

CNYMike Valued Member

You're welcome. Hope your leg gets better soon!

16. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

For that comment I've read back through the thread - it is amazing as a chronicle of what I've learned in my art since your first page. I thank you for that :)

I'm just about getting the hang of it now :D ;) and a certain Mr Gaskell has still not seen our official translation to nunchaku :woo: :rolleyes: :bang: :D

Look after that leg Martial7, and learn ALL the lessons from that episode. My teacher says that in bone vs wood, the bone will lose... A metal beam :eek: :cry:

17. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I know, I know! I have already mentioned trying to get up to your Weapons class, and I will see when I can get there (funds will decrease dramatically soon, when I buy the new toy :D).

I will see that translation!

18. Martial7

Martial7 Valued Member

Thanks family !!! its actually my right hand that i had surgery on but either way i appreciate it everybody. oh and for an update i have learned all three Bassai katas! where my kanku dai fans at ??????????? :cool:

19. Dirk Dagger

Dirk Dagger I Love Kelly Hu

The Bassai Katas in Shotokan Karate basically means "To penetrate a fortress." The Dai and Sho in its affix means Long and Short respectively. Or was it the other way around? ( I only know how to do Bassai Dai as a requirement for the 2nd Kyu ranking exam)

Anyway, the very basic principle about the kata is the importance of the "hip twisting". Every movement requires this kind of action in your hips as to every shotokan kata in general. In terms of Bunkai or application, one can always put basic karate and good imagination for the kata. But what is note worthy is the shuto uke followed with a "grapple and twist" of the opponent's arm followed by a very devastating knee level yuko kekomi and kiai! Just fantastic for self defense.

Then again, there are many variations from this kata. I believe Shorin Ryu have their own version of it. As to what is original? I am not a historian so I won't discuss it. But the way Shotokan Karate performs this particular kata is on my own opinion is better.