Katana Newbie. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by decker, Jul 24, 2003.

1. decker

decker New Member

I've been a very interested in swordplay since i was a child, and i finally purchased a paul chen katana and a wooden bokken. I beleive in respecting the blade and learning from it, not it teaching you (ie cutting yourself). I'm learning to use the katana for mental focus and discipline.

I was wondering if there are any good books or good websites that can teach me the maneuvers or steps.

I got a book from Barns and Noble about japanese swordsmanship. It teaches the basic stepping and basic stuff. I was just wondering if there was any better site out there or better book?

Thankx!

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

From what little I've seen so far, there is a level within swordwork that is impossible to achieve from a book. I bought a book on iaido before starting my training, and what I learned from the book is sloppy at best and completely wrong at worst. Your best bet is to find a good teacher and learn from them.

3. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

The easiest way would be to find an iado club.Or maybe even a kendo club or both.
    I think as far as wepons are conserned, for neone who is in experienced books r the wrong way to go.But they could beused as a resource later on.Just my own feelings there.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2003
  4. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I'm sure there are some sword clubs in Georgia, like they said, Kendo, Iaido, Kenjutsu, or Battojutsu would be a good way to learn to use a sword.

5. bishu-ronin

bishu-ronin New Member

i have to agree with aegis on the book thing. it is better to learn from a school and if you cant find a sword based school find one that would do private lessons. thats how i started then i got books to study...

6. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

or get a book or find a school that teaches Kendo, i totally prefer teh school idea...

especially with practice, in developing your skill practically you can't beat working with a partner and sparring. And Kendo is extremely fun, and pretty safe..

good luck,
    peace

7. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Yes find a school and good instructor. Because a books only make paper warriors.
    ANd while I pe3rsonally dont practice a Japanese Sword art I know some who do check out swordforum.com

8. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Books are okay to read if you already have a foundation in an art, but besides that, all they are good for is cutting practice.