Kata Form Names...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by odysseus, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

The 24 Chang Hon patterns (창헌틀)
    (The first spelling is how Master Hee Il Cho spells it, the second is how the ITF spells it)
    1. Chon-Ji 천지 Chon-Ji
    2. Dan-gun 단군 Dan-Gun
    3. Do-san 도산 Do-San
    4. Won-hyo 원효 Won-Hyo
    5. Yool-gok 율곡 Yul-Gok
    6. Joong-gun 중근 Joong-Gun
    7. Toi-gye 퇴계 Toi-Gye
    8. Hwa-rang 화랑 Hwa-Rang
    9. Choong-moo 충무 Choong-Moo
    10. Kwang-gae 광개 Kwang-Gae
    11. Po-Eun 포은 Po-Eun
    12. Gye-Baek 계백 Ge-Baek
    13. n/a 의암 Eui-Am
    14. Choong-jang 충장 Choong Jang
    15. n/a 주체 Juche
    16. Sam-il 삼일 Sam-Il
    17. n/a 유신 Yoo-Sin
    18. Choi-young 최영 Choi-Yong
    19. n/a 연개 Yong-Gae (I have a question about this spelling, see below)
    20. Ul-ji 을지 Ul-Ji
    21. n/a 문무 Moon-Moo
    22. n/a 서산 So-San
    23. Se-jong 세종 Se-Jong
    24. Tong-il 통일 Tong Il

(Ko-dang 고당 Ko-Dang)

As far as Yeon-Gae (연개, or Yon-gae ) goes, I think that Yeon-Gae is a more exact spelling than Yong-Gae is... the Korean name is Yeon Gae ( a famous general) and even though the "g" sound seems like it attaches to both syllables, it doesn't. So, in my opinion, the Romanization on the legacy site and the ITF Information site is a bit incorrect. (And if it's directly from the "encyclopedia", I'd have to say it may be a misspelling there as well.)

Plus, the term "Yong-gae" has a bit of a different meaning in conversational Korean... sort of like "hot young lady!" :D

2. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I'll admit that we used to pool our money together, buy his videos, and watch in awe. Especially him breaking those bricks with the fist. Amazing. I wonder if he ever upgraded them to DVDs.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I think he did... we have the videos but one of our students that recently ordered one (the Taegeuk forms) received it on DVD. They tend to be a bit pricey but are well worth it!