Kata Form Names...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by odysseus, Aug 31, 2007.

1. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

I'm a bit confused.... when I researched online.... the spelling of the forms are much different than the forms on our student cards my sifu signs....
    Heres a list of the forms:

Chon-Ji
    Tan-Gun
    To-San
    Won-Hyo
    Yul-Kok
    Chung-Gun
    Toi-Gye
    Hwa-Rang
    Chung-Mu
    Gwang-Gae

I asked him if it was tan-gun or dan-gun and to-san or do-san... he tells me its with a t... and thats how its spelled either way.... he seemed almost ****ed that i asked him this question... i said to him that the cards had a typo because all the research i have done has pointed me to the correct spelling...

second question, if its tkd.. i shouldn't be calling him sifu because thats chinsese in nature which means father/master... what should i be calling him any ways? also he makes us all call his junior blackbelts sifu as well... (he has blackbelts which range from 7 to 18 years old...) I don't believe he is a mcdojo because he works the hell out of everyone in the class... and they all compete on a regional level... my sifu is one of the coaches for chuck norris' full contact karate championship....

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Maybe he's just a bit eccentric!

3. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Its the same with karate sometimes applications are called completely different things, I'm often referring to Google thinking there must be be something I'm missing out on, to find out its a technique I know but use a different name for.

Kata as well.

There's (to name a few)

naihanchi/naifanchi/tekki
    Bassai/Passai
    Seisan/seishan/hangetsu
    kushanku/kosoku/kanku

More or less the same Kata just different name/spelling.

Not sure if this would apply to TKD though.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  4. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

Still doesn't answer my two questions....

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Why does the spelling matter providing the tutelage is good as you say it is?

I would be quite happy learning a punch named Im-a-big-fairy-tsuki providing it were effective.

One of my sensei is dyslexic and theres plenty spelling mistakes on the grading syllabus sheets, doesn't mean she is any less good at what she does.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

The problem is that Romanizing Korean is not easy, especially when there are 3 or 4 different "official" Romanization systems as well as a lot individual styles of Romanizing. For example, the Korean letter for "d" and "t" can be the same thing.
    Take a look at post 14 on TKD Terms thread for how I Romanize them (along with the Korean). Check out the WIKI article on Romanization... it's pretty good, and so is the "official" site.

My advice is not to get hung up on the Romanized names... and if you want to check them, check the Korean spelling.

7. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

Blimey, there does seem to be a bit of confusion, Thomas has already explained the ‘T’ ‘D’ issue far better than I could.

You have used the word Kata in this thread (which is Japanese), the ITF patterns are usually called ‘Tul’, although ‘Hyung’ (form I believe) is also quite common.

You’re right ‘Sifu’ is Chinese – is your instructor from China?

The equivalent is ‘Sabum’ (Instructor) or often ‘Sabum nim’ (Instructor, Sir - I believe is a loose translation).

As people have said don’t get too tied up in the terms (what’s in a name?) although I think I would find the use of 3 different languages odd.

Rob

8. Moosey

You want answers? You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

9. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

I'm just wondering why everything is so ass backwards.... sifu for example.... its an american freestyle version of tkd.... but why doesnt he go by instructor or sabum.... i guess if i was studying kung fu i would call him sifu.

10. tort

tort Valued Member

a few years ago i was thinking of moving to denver, colorado; while there i checked out a free style karate school. the instructor insisted that he be called sifu, professer, or sir and got royally mad if he was called sinse. being that this was karate and all you would think that the later would be correct?.

anyway after checkingout the school and meeting him i felt that he should have been refered to as "JACK of the four legged kind!"

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

My favourite is Jethro Tull.

*Stands on one leg, official flute-o Sogi*
    "Let me bring you songs from the wooooood!"

Mitch

12. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

i dont think the spelling of the names is realy a big deal after all in the uk youll find it hard to hear a standard accent. ITF have theyre way of spelling and pronunciation. Hee IL Cho's AIMAA spell them diferently. its the same as the Kup/Gup its horses for courses realy.

13. Mitch

I had real difficulty understanding/hearing Mr Perros's Welsh/Italian/Korean at the theory part of the last grading, so no surprises if pronunciations differ.

As long as the result smacks someone who cares eh? ;)

How're you going 'hoose? Still enjoying life on the dark side ;) ?

Mitch

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

At risk of irritating all the TKD guys, I wouldn't want to advertise myself as a sabum either. Peope always assume you've missed out the 'd' in a typo. :Angel:

15. Mitch

Yeah, but I always think you're JTwitchin', in a nervous sort of way, so it works both ways :p :D

TKDItch, scratchy scratchy ;)

16. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

That is because Hee Il Cho doesn't know the proper names....

;)

(kidding, only kidding).

Thomas explained it well. The spellings are only equivalents of korean characters.

Although the sifu thing is a bit odd.

17. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Oi!

I didn't choose this user name. I used to be jwt but when I lost the passwords for that address (after about 2 years off the forum) and reregistered from a different IP (having to use a new name because my chosen name was taken - by me) Kickchick merged everything under this name. Personally I'd prefer to go back to the initials.

Mods? :Angel:

18. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

supose it makes soem sort of sense to that particular person. n saying that IAKSA kickboxing in the UK is based on and primarily taught at first by Lau Gar Kung Fu guys notably David Bapist. Sifu in king fu to just the instructor in kickboxing can be a tricky transition sifu sounds more important than Mr

19. Moosey

You need to :saz: or :Aegis: (this goes for anyone who wants to change usernames)

20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

With the way he does them (and with his kicks), it doesn't matter how he spells them! Then again, he was doing them back before a lot of us were even around at all... :)

By the way, as far as I know, this link has the "official" ITF spellings.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007