Kata Contest

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hi all,

I'm entering my first Kata competion this weekend, and frankly, I'm panicking! We had a practice run in the dojo and I managed to pull off Pinan-Sono-Ichi to as best I could get it (which was pretty good as my kata goes), then got told we had to perform more than one kata! I didn't know this and panicked then did the next Kata wrong, which would have got me 0 points in a competiton. I don't think you'd get many points for mixing taikyuoko sono ichi and san at least ;)

Does anyone have any tips for entering these kind of things? I'd ideally like to know how to stop myself getting stressed about it, cos thats when I mess up most! Any advice you guys could throw my way would be welcome :)

Sarah

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Well, im off to a tournament as well. I go to them often. I dont think that there is a way that you can stop from being stressed. Just truct in yourself and your training. Dont over think your form just let your body do it and you will do ok.

-Chazz

3. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hiya K Girl and Chazz,

Good luck to both of you this weekend. Please let us know how you get on...

Melanie

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi K g, welcome to IYC.

I would reccomend you read the article on PMA on this site.
    I feel that the best thing for you to do would be; repeatedly viualise the event, viualise yourself performing the Kata, visualise yourself performing it as you would expect it to be done....flawlessly. Visualise the smile on your Sensei's face as you walk off the mat. You have to walk thru the who;e thing in your head. The time for physical practice of the Kata is nearly over. I wish you luck, but if you visualise effectively, you won't need it.

5. Ghostsuit

Ghostsuit Designer

Yeah good luck form me too hope you both do excellently.

6. waya

waya Valued Member

The only thing that works for me is to run through a few basic kata before doing the competition set and let those clear my head.... Then just not think at all and just let them flow. If I think about them at all I start running different forms together lol.

Rob

7. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

I have been in many competitions over the years and there was not one where I did not feel nervous and stressed.

There was once a young woman who lived in hard times when there was war all around. She met a young man and he was a great warrior she asked him to teach her to fight. There first lesson was on fear and how it affects your movements things you can normally do with your eyes shut become hard and your body feels clumsy. It is night time and to demonstrate he throws her a pebble which she catches no problem. He then picks up another pebble and says that if she does not catch this one he will not teach her anymore and he will leave her, she knows he will do what he says and try's to protest saying it is not fair as it is dark. He points out she managed to catch the last one without any thought, but now she has something to fear it becomes more difficult. Eventually she agrees, he throws her the pebble she stumbles as she try's to catch it but manages to keep a hold of it. She gets up with a look of triumph on her face. The man asks "what have you achieved". She says "I have conquered my fear". "No" he replies "you caught a pebble in the moonlight".

Cooler

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thanks for the advice guys, its certainly put my mind at ease. I can see now that if I can do it in the Dojo, then there's no reason I can't do it in the tournament so long as I keep my cool.

Good luck in your competition Chazz, let us know how you do!

Osu!

Sarah

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know I came third in the competition after! I took onboard the advice u guys gave me and was surprising calm, until i got on the mat in the first round and then decided to get nervous. I was certain I'd go out inthe first round, as my teamates had gone out already, and they're much more skilled at kata. But I got through the first round with a score of 17.7 after doing taikyoku sono san. Luckily I then made it through to the second round, and got 17.7 again. Unfortunatley, I drew with another person, and had to do another kata to get into the third round. I won the draw by 5 points, and went into the final round. By now I was a bag of nerves and started panick practising on the sidelines with my teammate. I went up and did probably one of my better performances, but came in third place. My sensei was really pleased, as it was my first contest, and he was judging so he wasn't allowed to help me beforehand in anyway.

Roll on the next contest :)

Osu!

Sarah

10. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Well done Sarah,

Cooler

11. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Well done Sarah - Knew you could do it kiddo!

Melanie

12. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Great job Sarah.

-Chazz

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Congrats Sarah

Next time you will win 1st

Well done.

Andy