Karazenpo: the Confusing History

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by DAnjo, Jan 7, 2007.

1. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Wow MAP is back up again.

Gary, John's book is about Kajukenbo, not Karazenpo. There are a lot of people that the book does not mention because it had nothing to do with the main thrust of the book. nothing sinister there.

BTW, I remember the Karazenpo website saying that they were coming out with the Karazenpo manual with all of Gascon's original techniques in it. It was supposed to come out in 2006, but that has come and gone and no book. I have no doubt that Gascon's book, if it ever comes out, will have a lot more of what you're looking for.

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    Sinister LOL good word, perfect for the situation. Right hand dosen't seem to know what the left one is doing. If you look at the Family tree that was posted, regarding Walter Godin, who is the biggest name right now in the UFC ??? Chuck Liddell, He is in the lineage of Walter Godin. Hmmmm Seems like that is something that would have been a good point to make after all these years??? Politics you have to love it. LOL

I'll check with Mike Rash and find out about the book. It would be a good question for John to ask Sonny, Sonny wants to talk to him. They really should talk IMHO...I can e-mail his number and the two of them could get together. Clear up a few things.

Edit: Mike Rash has been very busy with his ailing Mother, I am sad to say she passed away on friday. I have been in contact with Mike and Joe. Joe contacted me about it this morning. This has been some of the reason for the delay regarding the book.

There is a situation;
    Last year some parties did not get together to talk about the discrepancy about certain individuals not having black belts and status has been inpuned. This situation will not go away. It will only become worse if it is not resolved.

Regards, Gary

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  3. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

I have that tape

On that same tape, he states that John Leoning was one of the instructors sent to the mainland to teach. That doesn't necessarily mean he was (or wasn't) a black belt, but he certainly had permission (and apparently a directive) to teach. He specifically said that Leoning was one of the instructors sent to the mainland to teach.

Now if this was 1958, and Leoning started training in 1948, wouldn't it be strange for him not to be a black belt at that point?

Leoning's school was the Poncie Ponce school, and Emperado stated that Leoning's school was the first Kajukenbo school on the mainland, correct?

Matt

4. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Yes, he named Leoning as one of the instructors that went to the mainland. But I'm not sure if he "sent" him or he went on his own. But Adriano Emperado stated that Joe Black, Tony Ramos, Jerry Martin and Richy Takamoto were his first black belts and they came from his second group. I'm sure by 1958 there were more promoted OR possibly the first 4 blackbelts came after 1958. :D Who knows for sure.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    According to Sonny Gascon, Johnny was a black belt when he came to the mainland. So we have a difference of opinions or facts vs Politics.

Here is the thing. Age..
    Sijo born 1926
    John Leoning born 1927

When were the rest born?

Gary

6. Matthew Barnes

I'm just going by what he said.

Well, I was just going by what he said on the interview, starting at about the 18'09" point or so, right after he says the part about how he developed good instructors to help Kajukenbo grow:
    That led me to believe that he sent them. He was mainly talking about 2nd and 3rd sets of black belts.

7. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well Halbuna wasn't a black belt when he came to the Mainland either as far as I know. It doesn't sound to me like he said "Black Belts" on the tape. Leoning eventually reached 5th degree before he died in 1977, but that says nothing of what he was in 1957.

8. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

Passing

To all on this thread,
    Professor Rash's mother just made the passing. Out of respect for her and him I think that posting on this thread should stop for a short period of time.

9. kalista65

kalista65 New Member

The following message is from Bruce Corrigan

This is not my logon – and I rarely make any contribution to any forum. However, I felt compelled since I keep seeing my name used for purposes of quoting things. I have no problem being quoted, but there is always a danger in being misquoted. These forums are like the newspaper; if people see it on a forum, they tend to believe it as gospel. With that, I will add my 2 cents for what it is worth.

1. There should never be a dispute between KAJUKENBO and KARAZENPO GO SHINJUTSU. Time has made these two very separate things. It would be just as absurd to have Shotokan members arguing with Shorin Ryu members. It needs to go to sleep. Also, all who dispute it need to take a break!
    2. Realize that all who are viewed as experts might not be experts. Verbal history changes over time. The story surrounding all martial arts systems has been largely verbal since they each began. Can anyone really remember the specific date they met someone, or promoted every person? Believe me, there has been a lot of backdating of certificates, denial of previous promotions, unfounded claims, etc. So who knows who is telling the truth or is accurate. Better yet, who really cares, and does it REALLY matter? Every person begins their own lineage. There is no need to look for identity if you already have it. If you don’t have an identity, you won’t get it tying your name to another.
    3. Today we have hundreds of schools teaching Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and MMA is the hottest thing. SO, who has the authentic MMA, and who is teaching it correctly. Better yet…. Who should judge? Same goes here – Sonny Gascon once said to me: “ this is America, everyone can teach what they want.”
    4. Realize, there is no “Authentic Way” the “way” has changed so much no one knows what is the first way. Hell, I learned each form at least 4 different ways. Funny thing is that each teacher told me this was the authentic way.
    5. About Sonny Gascon and Karazenpo’s beginning. I know for a fact he started with his own students around 1958, and I know he formalized the name Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu shortly after. I even have a copy of his original business license. I have my differences with SiJo Gascon, but no one can dispute his formation of what we call Karazenpo. So saying anything about his authenticity is total nonsense. Karazenpo is his, and he can do or say whatever he likes – because Sonny fears no one.
    6. George Pesare – Here is the man with the knowledge – he is the “lion” of Kempo. Old school knowledge, and knowledge put to the test. I have my differences with George also, but he is what I consider the major catalyst for Kempo in America. I know this is a bold statement, but count how many have descended from him in one way or another. I like to think that I began the “history revolution” of Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu. However, without George, we still wouldn’t know about Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu. When I met George, he didn’t know whether Sonny Gascon was alive or dead, but on the first night I met him, he told me Sonny’s name and paid credit and reverence to him. I have heard that there are problems between Sonny and George today. No matter what, I know for a fact that George has always shown respect for Sonny Gascon’s name, even to me, even when I was a stranger in George’s presence.
    7. Joe Shuras – He’s the real deal, and if he says anything….it is with sincerity. He may not always be accurate, but he is no liar and doesn’t have to be. I don’t want to even begin to get involved with KGSBBS politics, and I am beyond a doubt not associated with them nor wish to be. BUT if I had a vote, Joe should be the 9th degree.

OK, so who is responsible for what techniques and what forms? Who the hell cares??? Just do them, or choose not to….but arguing about it is fruitless. This method began almost 50 years ago. Who can say what was 20 years ago, let alone 50.

10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

OK, so who is responsible for what techniques and what forms? Who the hell cares??? Just do them, or choose not to….but arguing about it is fruitless. This method began almost 50 years ago. Who can say what was 20 years ago, let alone 50.

My same exact thoughts :)

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    I found this about Walter Godin.

PROFESSOR WALTER L.N. GODIN, 1937-2001

Following is a letter from Professor Eugene Sedeño, Sifu Michael Cataline's teacher, on the death of Professor Walter L.N. Godin:

On August 7, 2001 Professor Walter L.N. Godin passed away in Hawaii. Professor Godin was my first and long-time Kajukenbo teacher in Kaimuki and I will miss him.

Walter Leo Niakala Godin

March 21, 1937 to August 7, 2001

Born and raised on Richard Lane in the rough and tough town known as Kalihi, he had to fight almost every day, because he was going to the private school known as Kamehemeha and not Kalakaua. Godin's father, a Frenchman, taught him the art of Savate (French style kick boxing) at a young age. Godin, being the kid from Kalihi that he was, figured that his father was trying to teach him something that he had already learned in the streets. It was known as "shoe job".

In 1949, at the age of 12, his dad enrolled him in Judo to study under instructor "Rubber Man" Migami. In the 50's, Godin enrolled himself in the Kajukenbo Self-Defense Institute and began his Kenpo Training under Professor Adriano D. Emperado and his brother Joe Emperado. In the 60's, he flew to Los Angeles to teach martial arts with his brother-in-law Victor "Sonny" Gascon. Together, they founded Karazenpo-Go-Shinjutsu, which is presently taught worldwide.

He also spent some time in the Johnson Islands and trained every day for a year and a half with his very good friend "Brother" Abe Kamahoahoa. Increasing his personal knowledge of Martial Arts, he learned the deadly art of Lua from his friend Abe. Lua is a Hawaiian Martial Art that was designed for only one thing, total destruction. It was used only in Hawaiian war fighting and can cause loss of limbs, permanent crippling, mutilation, or disfigurement of the body. Brother Abe told Godin that he was not allowed to teach his art of Lua to anyone but his Ohana.

In the 70's, Aikido black belts Elaine and Shige Kurosawa introduced Godin to the Aikido Master, Koichi Tohei sensei, who then taught Godin the art of "Ki", which originates in the lower abdomen, Seika-no-itten, and Misogi, a breathing method.

Walter L.N. Godin, the founder of Keiki Martial Arts of Hawaii and Godin's School of Self Defense, went back to his roots by teaching at Palama Settlement, where he still was running and teaching classes at the time of his death. The Palama Settlement is where Sijo Adriano D. Emperado introduced the brutally effective Kajukenbo system in 1950 to the public in a "closed door" training program. The training that took place there is legendary.

In 1973, on December 16th, Grand Master William K.S. Chow handed down his Professorship with a 10th degree diploma and his blessings to Godin with Professor Frank Ordonez to witness this event. Godin was working on publishing a book on his life with Joe Emperado, "The Untold Story".

Regards, Gary

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi, I found this about Joe Halbuna, regarding black belt when he moved to CA.

Senior Grand Master Joseph S. Halbuna was first introduced to Kajukenbo in 1955 by Sijo Adriano D. Emperado's brother, Joe Emperado, at the home of "Lucky" Lucaylucay in Honolulu, Hawaii. He started his Kajukenbo training in 1957 with Ben Medero. Senior Grand Master Halbuna honed his art with many other martial artists, but it was Sijo Emperado who convinced him to devote his life to the martial arts.

After receiving his black belt in 1962, he decided to move to California, where he opened a school and has remained a prominent figure in Northern California.

Senior Grandmaster currently holds a ninth degree red belt with silver lining. He has taught baton and riot training to the police force and has certified police officers in the art of judo. He opened martial art schools in San Francisco and Pacifica, and currently works with cities to teach maritial arts in their community recreation programs. He also promotes many martial arts tournaments, including competitions in Hawaii and Europe.

Senior Grand Master Halbuna also founded the Unified World Martial Arts Federation (UWMAF). Stemming from his Kajukenbo training, Senior Grand Master Halbuna retains an open mind about all styles of martial arts. "I openly accept other disciplines as good and serving a purpose", he says. "I look forward to the day that all martial artists compete and practice fellowship openly and without animosity toward each other. I feel that I have taken significant steps toward this." When asked how he feels about martial arts today, he commented that "martial arts in the '90's seem too commercialized to me. The techniques are watered down so that schools will not lose students.

The emphasis has moved more toward running a business, rather than teaching an art. However, I do like the fact that, even through these times, there continues to be an emphasis on teaching respect toward the teachers, elders and fellow members." "If I can give message to all who practice any and all martial arts, it would be to promote fellowship and encourage everyone to get to know more people in the art for the sole purpose of becoming friends.

Martial artists should take care of each other, help each other and work hard toward becoming a strong family."

Regards, Gary

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  13. Matthew Barnes

Thank you.

Thank you - that was very helpful.
    Additionally, yes, he really was the catalyst for the history revolution of Kempo, at least with regard to the East Coast. If it wasn't for Bruce Corrigan, I wouldn't have known where to start when I began looking into history.

Matt

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi, I found this interesting.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Article originally written by Bruce Corrigan, hardway@karazenpo.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kempo History - Sonny Gascon, "Father" of East Coast Kempo

This is the story of one of the original developers of modern kempo- Sonny Gascon. His contribution to the system lives on in possibly more kempo stylists than will ever be known, largely because they themselves don t know the history of their root. What has kept this story quiet for all of these years is this Master's own desire to remain anonymous and not add to the historical and still present conflict which reigns among varying kempo groups. kempo's history has long been filled with unique, if not incredible stories. The development of this Martial Art is bursting with tales of infighting, migration, development, and unique personalities. Almost all of the founders in one way or another have been involved in some sort of dispute or controversy which spurred them to go out on their own. The most remarkable result from all of this is that we now have multiple forms or methods of kempo, all of which seem to have benefited the system as a whole.
    This article will address the migration of kempo to the East Coast of the mainland U.S. which occurred partially in the 1950s, and most strongly in the very early 1960s. However, we must first look at the development of kempo from Hawaii.

Any dedicated student of this Martial Art will be able to tell the legendary story of James Mitose, heir to his family's system. Mitose, born in Hawaii returned to Okinawa at an early age to begin learning the way of his family. Returning to Hawaii, Mitose is said to have been greatly affected by the wartime strife between the Japanese and the U.S. As a result, he became one of the very first Asians to open the doors to the Caucasians known as haoles. Additionally, it appears that Mitose pioneered the way for allowing women to enter the Dojo and begin training. Although his training was harsh, his training scheme and severity was no match for the brutal ways of many of his local students. As seniors of the school, their idea of training was very physical, and many times very bloody. They were always eager to learn anything and everything that was available - both in Mitose Sensei's school and outside. This openness developed by Mitose led to a diverse student population, made up of all races of Asian and non Asian descent. This was a very unique situation which was all but unheard of on the island of Oahu. Previous to this, Chinese trained with Chinese, Filipino with Filipino, and Japanese with Japanese. Those who were left, mainly "haole" trained with whoever was available. As previously stated, Mitose's school began the breakdown of these barriers. What few could see at that time, is that this breakdown formed the root for kempo's diversity and effectiveness.

Somewhere around the age of 30, William K.S. Chow decided to go on his own. He had been an instructor under Mitose, although not the most senior. With him, he brought a young Hawaiian born Filipino by the Name of Adriano Emperado. This was done not as an offensive act toward Mitose Sensei, but with his permission to assist in the spread of the arts of self defense. Chow was very wise in his selection, for he had chosen one of the most dedicated and most skilled of the students. Emperado brought with him a vast knowledge of the Filipino Arts, kempo, and most importantly the knowledge of the streets. Emperado soon took over the main instructional duties of the school as was appropriate to the time. He established a very tough and brutal regimen which few could last through. Whenever the students felt that they had enough, enter Master Chow to deliver the required beatings. This group soon became legendary throughout the islands, and many would come and seek instruction. However, few would last. Another significant influence at this time was "Nonoy" Emperado's younger brother, Joseph. Virtually unknown, Joe also added significant aspects in the development of Kempo. Joe essentially became the stand in for Adriano when Master Chow, and his older brother were unavailable.

During his training time with Chow, Adriano Emperado continued consorting with Martial Artists of all types and styles. He soon began a fastidious friendship with Joe Holk, Frank Ordonez, Peter Choo, and Clarence Chang, each an expert in a particular Martial Art including Korean systems, Kempo, Chinese Boxing (Kung Fu), Judo, Jiu Jitsu, and the Filipino arts. Meeting daily for three years, these young men in their early 20s would continue to evolve their Kempo to the point where it began to implement and employ empty hand leg and trapping technique of many systems. These were men of multiple backgrounds, representing the ethnic skills from many sources. Remember, at this time to reveal the martial secrets of one's race was almost considered blasphemous. However, this did not hinder these brave pioneers of the Martial Arts and they formed the first Kajukembo "Black Belt Society" which exists to this very day Their concern and challenge was defining a Martial Art to beat all Martial Arts. Their principle belief was if you trained to beat the Martial Artist, the street was no problem. Because of his level of skill, coupled with his dominant personality - "Nonoy" Emperado was elected as the leader of the group. In addition, Emperado wished to make this new evolved Kempo available to the general public. All students would be welcome, as long as they could tolerate the initiation and training.

Emperado began training students in the Nuanu YMCA. Later he would establish the KArate, JUjitsu/JUdo, KEMpo, and Chinese BOxing (KAJUKEMBO) Self Defense Institutes. Although kempo, Emperado's methodology soon became known as KAJUKEMBO to distinguish it from the rest. Emperado adopted the wearing of Black Uniforms to distinguish his students from the other traditional Martial Artists of Hawaii. Those early years produced a line of Black Belts which would influence the Kempo world as no one could ever imagine. Among the early pioneer group were Marino Ttiwanak, Sid Asuncion, Tony Ramos, Walter Godin, Joe Halbuna, Sonny Gascon , John Leoning, and others. The art soon spread throughout Hawaii and became known as the most vicious practice of self defense on the islands. Emperado's favorite saying during these years "the training isn't over until there is blood on the floor." Among the early students to begin spreading to the mainland was Sonny Gascon. Sonny, born in 1933, was the son of a Filipino sugar cane worker who came to Hawaii in 1926 in search of prosperity.

While Victor was a child, his father ran chicken fights in the back yard. There always were several old and young Filipinos which could be seen playing sticks during breaks in the fights. Victor especially remembers them showing the "dancing" footwork and empty hand applications. As a child, he thought they were just playing, but later he learned that this was serious martial arts and developed an interest in learning what he could from these secretive Masters. Sonny had an uncle by the name of Bernard who was a fairly renowned martial artist who began the education of the younger Gascon. All of them lived in two houses side by side, one house having 9 bedrooms and the other 3 bedrooms. Due to close proximity of the family, and the large size, an education in the Martial Arts of some sort was always available.

In 1945 , Sonny began the study of Judo from KAMAKUDO and "Rubber Man" Tagami at the local Japanese church. He studied Judo for 3 years form 1945-1948 in NOWANII eventually receiving first level certification. In the early 1950s, one of his neighbors by the name of John Leoning began Sonny's introduction the kempo system. Henry Papa, Julian Blacquerra, John Leoning and Sonny would spend days training in this system. Although not called by the current name at that time, they later would find out it was the Kempo of KAJUKEMBO. Since Victor was the smallest, it became very advantageous for him to become a quick learner to escape the inevitable outcome. Sonny's training would last about 4 years until he left for the mainland and enlistment in the U.S. Air Force. 1952 found Sonny Gascon attending basic training at Lackland Air Force Base. Later he attended advanced training at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. During this period, he shared his Martial Arts with his new found Air Force friends, and obtained a slight following of students. Although this fact has remained unpublished to date, it is one of the most significant occurrences in the history of kempo and Kajukembo - this was the birth of these arts on the east coast!

Later Sonny Gascon was assigned to the war zones of Korea attached to the 51st Fighter Squadron "Checkerboards." While assigned to the war area, Sonny became close friends with a local Korean houseboy. As a result, Sonny was introduced to the boy s Grandfather who began teaching him Korean and Chinese principles of Martial Arts. Since this training pre-dated the arrival of Tae Kwon Do, the system was one of soft, smooth movement more attributable to the Chinese Kung Fu Arts than anything Korean.

In 1953, Sonny Gascon was assigned back home to Hawaii. He quickly resumed his Martial Arts studies with the local boys of Kalihi. In 1956, he was discharged from the service and decided to move to Pasadena, California. Having grown up on the same block as Edmund Parker, Sonny renewed his friendship with this young Martial Artist, and the two would meet and exchange technique, along with celebrating many Luaus in the warm Pasadena climate. Later in 1958, John Leoning came to California and asked Sonny to become an instructor at the school he would be opening.

One evening, while working out, 3 Hawaiian instructors from home came to the school. The word was given to John Leoning and Sonny Gascon that they could not use the name "KAJUKEMBO" or the Kajukembo patch since they were not paying a required percentage to the home school in Hawaii. Sonny's response to this was to invite the Black Belts in for a "work out" - an invitation which they refused claiming that they were just passing a message along from home. This began Sonny Gascon s departure from the traditional Kajukembo system and his journey to become independent of Martial Arts politics. In 1960 Sonny Gascon removed the Kajukembo patch from his uniform and replaced it with the patch of the KARAZENPO GO SHINJUTSU. It was not by coincidence that the patch bore the image of Daruma, the founder of all Martial Arts. This was because Sonny subscribed to Daruma s favorite saying "to fall seven times, to rise eight, life starts from now" - Sonny was beginning something new. Since Sonny grew up in the Kalihi district of Hawaii, he was well known among all kempo practitioners of that time. One of his neighbors, and close friends would eventually become very famous and begin his own system - namely, Edmund Parker. Because of Sonny's close associations, he was able to continue obtaining the best knowledge from the myriad of stylists now in California. In those days, Sonny became legendary in the Los Angeles area and was frequently called upon to demonstrate kempo in early television shows, and Screen Actors Guild function. Sonny even made a guest appearance an performed a kempo demonstration during a 1961 Dick Clark s American Bandstand. Sonny Gascon was one of the few asked to officiate at the first Ed Parker Internationals, where Bruce Lee performed his famous one inch punch and Martial Arts demonstration.

Later, Sijo Gascon summoned his Brother-in-Law, Walter L. Niakala Godin, from the islands to help him run the school. During this time, Sijo Godin became a frequent sparring partner for Ed Parker's most famous student - Elvis Presley. Legend has it that Walter Godin had to be very careful not to unleash his true skills and hurt the "King of Rock and Roll"! Sijo Godin later founded Godin s Chinese kempo which exists to this day and is the only Kajukenbo school remaining in the Palama settlement of Hawaii - the founding place of Kajukenbo.

Sijo Gascon returned to his native Hawaii in 1969, but not before leaving a legacy of kempo which lives even to this day. Sijo Gascon is the person who brought the kata, combinations, and techniques now seen in many styles of kempo throughout the United States. If you are familiar with Kempo/Kenpo descriptions such as 1 through 5 Kata, Statue of The Crane, Combinations 1 through 26, etc., then you are a direct descendent of Sonny Gascon. Many systems such as Fred Villari's Shaolin Kempo, (also taught in Villari's Self Defense Centers, Master's Self Defense Centers, United Studios of Self Defense, and Masters of Karate dojos), and even portions of Professor Cerio's Kenpo are either directly or indirectly linked to this unknown Grandmaster. To this day, it is thrilling to see these forms on old film performed by the Grandmaster himself over 40 years ago.

Sijo Sonny Gascon is still very much alive and active today. Recently, he made his first visit to a mainland school since leaving in 1968. This visit was even more exciting in that he was accompanied by Sijo Walter Godin. Sijo Gascon had asked that this first visit remain somewhat quiet since it had been many years, and he wished not to offend anyone, however present for the visit were Professor Nick Cerio, Sigung Paula Pucino of Rhode Island, Master Bruce Corrigan of Virginia, Master Joe Shuras of Massachusetts, and Black Belts from around the U.S. including William Peterson (Virginia), Rafael Perez (Florida), Kathy Shuras (Massachusetts), Lou Faralan (California), Dennis Ocampo (Virginia) and Tony DeLalla (Florida). The visit included a tour of the United States Naval Amphibious Base, home to the U.S. Navy SEALS, and a tour of the largest Navy Base in the world as a guest of the Naval Station Logistics Officer and special forces members Shawn Riqueleme and Marty Riggs. Later, a testing and demonstration was conducted for the three greatest living treasures of Kempo - Sijo Gascon, Sijo Godin, and Professor Cerio. Never had there been this much experience and history alive in one area. Sijo ascon remarked that he was surprised to see his method of Kempo - Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu - so alive and flourishing in students everywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards, Gary

15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Gary, thanks for that last post. It was a very good read.

P.S. Thank you for posting the entire section without inline comments. Sometimes it has been hard to separate your words from the words of who you are quoting. However, your last post was very clear and easy to read.

BTW: Is the Lou Faralan mentioned the same Chief Instructor, Guro Marlo (Lou) M. Faralan that I know? If so he has two schools in the Pacific Northwest where he teaches. So I would say he also represents Washington.

16. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Same Lou. He lived in San Diego for a while when he was in the Navy.

17. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

It seems we have another side to fill in the blanks. Its all Ohana and should come together. My JKD world has the same problems and is trying to reverse itself. Kempo should try harder as well.

Off track. My family migrated to Hawaii in 1911. It's amazing to me that they were so close (but not involved) to this great thing that happened on Oahu. My aunts and uncles all married Hawaiians. I knew I had Asian cousins but I didn't know they were what Hawaii is today, a Hawaiian blend. Anyway I finally met them and I thought I'd share my visit with my Ohana.
    http://www.scientific-streetfighting.com/Oahu_North_Shore_Ohana.html

While there, I didn't see many martial art schools and I did get around.

Does anyone know if Clarence Chang is Korean? My cousins are also Chang but of Korean dissent.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  18. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Off topic.
    Does anyone know if Clarence Chang is Korean? My cousins are also Chang but of Korean dissent.

19. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I believe, but am not 100% certain, that he is Chinese.

20. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Actually, "Clarence" was just a nick name. His true name was George Chuen Yoke Chang. He was Chinese, born in Hawaii, but spent some teen years in Kwangtung Province, China.