Karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by bodyshot, May 28, 2015.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

By that notion, does that make kata a convoluted cousin to the combination?

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Can that be practiced in a systematic routine of repetition from a detailed choreographed pattern used to preserve, assist, and aid ( in a more general or figurative sense)?

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Mr. Miyagi teaches karate. Cobra Kai ALSO teaches karate. So no. (Actually a real answer despite the movie reference).

So long as it's formalized and scripted instead of free-form. You see this a lot in Enshin and some other Kyokushin-derived styles (but not Kyokushin itself) where they ditch the traditional kata and instead teach kata that are sparring combos.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbXrpKHUoWI"]Enshin Karate- Black Belt Kata (Kuro Obi No Kata) - YouTube[/ame]

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

re: kickboxing: i may be wrong on the sequence of events, but as i understand it, kickboxing is a style (kickboxing), originated from a sporting ruleset (kickboxing competitions) that originated from another sporting ruleset (full contact karate) that originated from another sporting ruleset (shiai kumite) because some karateka wanted to beat the crap out of each other harder than the other karateka were doing :p

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

And they dug on sparkly trews.

Mitch

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I think it's more about creating muscle memory, but it definitely requires repetition, although the choreography is much less rigid.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Therein lies the difficulty as they are neither.

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Karate comes from Okinawa, originally a tributary of china, later seconded into the nation of japan. The origins of karate lie in cultural exchange with china that was later colored by cultural exchange with japan. The original usage of the name karate is Chinese hand.

So what really makes karate, karate is that it is kungfu ! :)

9. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Those are the type of technical answers I was really hopeing to get about this fake vs. Liget karate question I've had for while now. So I'm curious as to what you mappers think about american versions of karate, I know chuck Norris is favored as a system founder from the states but what about these podunk schools and gyms.

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

But if you go back far enough doesn't Kung Fu come from Indian monks, who were in turn fabled to have learnt their skills from training with the Hellenic soldiers Alexander brought there, among whom it was rumored a number of Olympic medalists served.

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Yes. And the ancient Greek arts were themselves based on the older animal fighting style of Hyborian warriors.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Crom!

Mitch

13. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Sorry to backtrack a couple of pages, but when you live in the opposite timezone to most of the rest of MAP, life is a perpetual game of catchup.

Associations/organisations are political. They don't exist to teach karate, they exist to maintain and control power. We learn karate from individuals. Their legitimacy comes from who they learned from/trained with and who those people learned from/trained with.

Of course they could be absolute rubbish, but if their training link is authentic then they are legit. And that's why karate is such a broad and varied church. It is the lineage back to Okinawa that confers the name.

And given that Okinawa had a number of relatively separate traditions called 'karate', and the subsequent global dispersal of karate post WWII, it's no surprise that one man's karate may be unrecognisable as such to another karateka.

14. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

If you adhere to the matsuyama koen theory, then yes.

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's a hell of a lot more plausible than the story of the yellow emperor.