karate vs kickboxing & taekwondo

Discussion in 'Karate' started by macoda, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

sorry for the double - just had to say... to not adapt to a farther out guard when fighting bare knuckle, CAN be done... BUT, it is taking away the advantages that a farther out guard provide, without giving you the advantages of the closer in, boxing guard. so it seems a strange thing to do - as ever fights are ever changing and dynamic, and nobody maintains a uniforn guard throughout, but there is a reason why most MMA strikers don't have there hands on there heads as a guard!

2. Shuri

Shuri Valued Member

Well, in our system we dont point our hands up toward the sky in our on-guard position... Our hands are pointed towards the opponent. Lead hand out in front about shoulder level and the other hand is on the same horizontal line as the lead hands elbow. There are reasons for this, but as with any on-guard they are enldlessly debateable.

But to block lets say a hook you would simply have to block deeper on the opponents arm... So with a boxing glove your hand can just raise up to your head and your good.

But bareknuckle your hand must come up and out making contact with your opponents inside forearm somewhere between wrist-elbow to keep the hook out of your face.

So i agree a further out block, but not a further out guard. Furthermore, the counter IMHO is more important than the block so as the block is initiated the counter should already be on the way to the target. Dont ever stand there and just block someones hook.......................

For them to throw the hook they present a big opening, IF you can counter correctly. If you just block the hook you will get another hook. Then another, and so on. Counter every hook and you will see less of them from your opponent(s). If you just block they have no reason not to throw a hook followed up with a combo next time... They will keep going deeper until they get you.. So block as you counter, dont just block.

3. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Aye, nothing like a good sweep....

...we used to use the old hook, quick sweep to get them off balance..boom!
    Nice

4. Xoxi

Xoxi Valued Member

You dont always see hooks blocked in a boxing match. Sometimes they are absorbed on the gloves, but evading and grabbing are also popular options

The other thing boxers do is overextend their shoulder and tuck their chin behind it to protect it. So an effective way to block a hook is to throw a short straight counter punch. Which I think Shuri was alluding to...

5. ClubNovaOmega

ClubNovaOmega New Member

anyone ever try something like:

block or dodge the hook, front kick to the shin and with the same foot wuicky kick their chin, then spin around with a sweep kick, keep spinning once more into a power step in straight punch to their side or side of the ribs then jump back to their front but right like against them almsot and lang with a big punch to the face and if they defend it do a big sweep. well i thought of that just now porbably would need memorizing.

hmmm if your strong maybe u can do a few fast straight punches right in on them aggresively and when they go to attack or something you duck to dodge and grab their shin and just pull it really far and make them fall and now u have their leg. i guess this would work best on someone with less foot movement.

6. Xoxi

Xoxi Valued Member

Nope. I'd just break my toes on the front kick and then fall over part way thru the spinning. I'm uncoordinated :D

7. stumblinthrulif

stumblinthrulif New Member

Hmmmm, I'd argue that any combination that needs memorising in that form is pretty worthless.

The ultimate aim of learning any martial art should be to create your combinations on the fly, adapting to each situation and instinctively knowing what needs to be done. A memorised combination of that size and complexity will likely start going very wrong after the first couple of moves - your opponent react in different ways, and if you're still going through your rote combo it will likely leave you in trouble.

What you describe would probably be a nice demo combination, and I'm sure would look very impressive. But I don't think you could use it in a fight.

In my opinion (and I'm not claiming to be a expert here), one cannot go into a fight having memorised 400 combos for different situations. Learn the moves, and how they flow together, and let the combos come naturally. Your body will remember the things that work and they will start to be triggered by instinct.

8. ClubNovaOmega

ClubNovaOmega New Member

ah just random ideas. but anyway no u wouldnt have alot of combos u have a small amount that way they are very fluent in you. basically it was supposed to be a combo where you keep switchin your area and throwing their brain off course.