Karate vs Judo

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Elitex, Sep 12, 2003.

?

Which martial art is better?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2003.
  1. Karate

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Judo

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Elitex is gay Do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Also, you need to bear in mind that when martial artists say techniques are based on science, they mean one of two things;
    1)They are carrying on doing things in exactly the same way as they used to, and using a very poor grasp of physics to explain why they are doing this, or
    2)They are doing very silly things because of misconceptions, half-truths and outright myths based loosely on science, in the same way that star wars is based on the films of Kurosawa.

2. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

I noticed all the bashing of Shotokan, which from what I have heard is a "Kata karate". Are we also talking about knockdown karate in general?
    Saying Kyokushin, Enshin, Ashihara, and daido juku karate is useless is kinda stupid.

Does Karate have any value ? Many Okinawan systems do, yes. Also Kyokushin and it's offsprings also have merit, ( I'm a practitioner ! ), although not as rounded as many Okinawan systems.

Are we Shotokan bashing !? Ummmmmmmmmmmm don't think so. However, an aquaintance of mine asked of another :-

' I want to learn a totally ineffective and discredited combat art that simultaneously damages your joints and helps to cripple you in later life ! Can you recommend one ? '

Too which the second aqaintance replied............
    ' Have you tried the deadly and mysical art of Shotokan ? '

Thanks Doctor Moose, good to be back ! The bjj dojo in the barrios was the pits but the instruction was first class...............and the booty !!!

3. UrAsJ

UrAsJ New Member

shotokan cripples one? o_O

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Basically guys, remember this: Shotokan is crap. It's made for kids, with no essence of real karate in it, it has spawned/inspried no knockdown variants of the art, it has little or no street relevance, it has no throws, you're put in stoopid positions that you're NEVER allowed out of, every time you enter the dojo you have to avenge at least one person's death, most of the time you're kicking and punching the air, you have a pointless guard, and anyone who dares say that it might work if trained properly is just in denial that they do krotty.

Unless you're taught by JCVD.

Oh, and we don't get to wear spandex. That's the worst bit imho.

:p love you all, guys ;)

EDIT: Crap - girls too... :eek:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Shoto-jihad!!!!!
    [​IMG]

6. Llamageddon

Funakoshi akhbar?

(if that's offensive can a mod please take it down, if not you can delete this message...)

7. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I know. Force of habbit, I guess.

8. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

Fine then let the battle lines be drawn! Knockdown vs Shotokan! Bring on your champions!

I'll go first

[​IMG]

Who amongst Shotokan would you have fight our man Hightower (Ashihara and Seidokaikan stylist)?

9. Llamageddon

Well, you see, that's not really fair really... we don't fight people over 72' tall. Working on the 'the bigger they are...' principle we wouldn't want to see them get so badly hurt. :p

But if I had to throw someone in there, it'd be Brennan, O'neill and Hall simultaneously. On stilts.

10. Moosey

Here is my champion!

Attached Files:

11. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  12. Llamageddon

13. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

All particapants, especially Shotokan stylists, are encouraged to attempt all manners of chi/ki blasts and no touch knockouts.

14. Moosey

So we have a resurrected thread from four years ago which has now descended into "my dad's bigger than your dad" testicle-waving.

What do you say, Naruto?

[​IMG]

Yeah, I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.