Karate vs Judo

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Elitex, Sep 12, 2003.

?

Which martial art is better?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2003.
  1. Karate

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Judo

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Elitex is gay Do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrAsJ

UrAsJ New Member

Again, Karate for striking and Judo for grappling..
    In a fight.. the better fighter would win. nuff said. :p

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

So... the Judo guy then?

3. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Obviously, this thread has been posted by an 8 year old yellow belt in karate and by and large shouldn't be taken too seriously. Karate has, with one or two possible exceptions and even then to some degree, has been found to be totally useless as a fighting / combat art. In fact, Taebo has more health redeeming aspects than karate. Judo, on the other hand can, with a few tweaks here and there be tranformed into a devastating fighting art, just look at Karo Paryisian. If you want to learn to punch - box, if you want to learn to kick - Thai box and if you want to learn to grapple then train judo / bjj / wrestling. If you want to be an all round pro fighter or recreational combat athlete then you'll need to train in all spheres. Karate !? about as useful as Taebo....................ha ha ha.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

Judo is so much harder than karate from a technical standpoint. An opponent doesnt need to do anything for you to punch him in the face, whereas you must control your opponent to throw them.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Welcome back Jaae, we've missed you. :D

6. Atharel

Atharel Errant

If you can use Karo Parisyan as an example, don't forget Ryoto Machida.

7. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Ha ha, I just knew someone would mention him. I saw him fight in Manchester...............................never threw a gyakazuki all night !!!?

8. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Machida :- Patron Saint of all Shotokan stylists..........................not ! Like every other MMA fighter, he trains boxing, kick boxing and bjj or variants. I'm actually a big fan of Machida, he's very technical but to the casual fan, boring to watch because he isn't an out and out action fighter. He's very defensive. Strangely enough, he had his hands up like a Kykushin fighter. Take a fighter like Filho who fights in K1. You see two attributes, a.) His Kyokushin influence and b. ) His boxing. Likewise with Aerts, Thai boxing and boxing skills. Before Pride became defunct, several promininent judo players went on to compete, many successfully. Do you think in order to become more rounded and deal with strikers like Fedor and Crocop, they a.) Did additional training in Shotokan karate or b.) Learnt to box ?

9. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

Jaae wins the thread.

Edit: Except for the whole proper grammar spelling thing.

10. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

My grammar is well rounded.................

11. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

In all seriousness, Judo, BJJ and Wrestling all more or less revolve around the twin foundations of the pin, ( Maybe bjj less so ), and position, although all have subtle differences, i.e. Judo and Greco are stronger in the vertical range, generally. Many MMA fighters will use their striking to set up their take downs and grappling set - ups. I've been hit in the head ' hard ' by karate fighters and dumped on my head by grapplers', guess which hurt me most !? The karate strikes affronted my dignity, the take downs knocked me into next week. When someone locks your arms and German suplexes' you, even on a mat it can knock you for six. There are no absolutes, however: If you train a guy in grappling and boxing with good coaches for one year then pit him against a Karate third or fourth dan, it's % 99.99999 ad infinitum that the karateka will wake up with with his head up his harris !

12. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

Last edited by Jaae : Today at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling

LOL

Unless of course the karate guy is a 1st dan in kyokushin and has a wrestling/jiu jitsu background (GSP vs Hughes)

I agree with you though. Its surprising how many don't. Its friggin 2007 and there are people still signing up for krotty and ATA TKD and thinking they are learning real self defense.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Frustrating isn't it, that regardless of how many people post long polemics on the internet about how what you do is no way as good as what I do, some people continue to make up their own mind.

Those crazy cats.

14. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

I'm a karateka and Jujutsuka with nearly 30 years training, ( It's a bad habit I can't give up, but I'm no longer proud of it.... ), who a few years back transistioned to MMA, wrestling and Thai.............there is just no contest. I have competed, WUKO, Semi and Knockdown but only MMA has all the answers, is realistic ( As near as dammit ) and has a pedigree far older than any Japanese ' art ' re: Ancient Grecian Pankration, yet you still get Shotokan / GKR diehards saying Karate has ALL the answers and Funakoshi was instrumental in the developement of ' this ' effective and ' traditional ' art of Karate..................guffaw, guffaw. I'd recommend serious students of combat read Steve Morris's Noholdsbarred dissertation on his webpages on how the Japanese ostensibly removed the ' essence ' out of Karate and left just a hollow shell. He is of course, correct.

I trained with him a few months back..............................he is still the business !!!

15. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

He leg kicked me in such a way, the shock stayed in my thigh muscle for what seemed an eternity and it didn't bruise in the normal way. I limped for a week................ouch !

16. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Is a polemic a Polish / Irishman or an Irish / Polishman............ ?

17. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

Right? Seriously, WTF are they doing?!

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Not all young Jedi! Some ITF TKD, Karate or Judo are they doing!

Mitch :D

19. UrAsJ

UrAsJ New Member

Are we talking about Judo vs Traditional Karate or Karate in general?
    I noticed all the bashing of Shotokan, which from what I have heard is a "Kata karate". Are we also talking about knockdown karate in general?
    Saying Kyokushin, Enshin, Ashihara, and daido juku karate is useless is kinda stupid.

Having bad experience with crappy TMA and then starting some real fullcontact fighting art does not give any reason to bash knockdown karate.

20. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Right, except it's usually only spelled with that extraneous "i" by BJJ'ers. It makes more sense to spell it "jujutsu" or "jujitsu."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.