Karate vs Judo

Discussion in 'Karate' started by JHughes, Dec 19, 2005.

1. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

It depends on whether the karateka can keep himself distanced from the judoka. If the judoka comes to close to grap ahold of the karateka's gi then its pretty much over. The judoka throws the poor guy, takes the fight to the ground, puts him in either a choke or a submission hold. Overall I think the judoka would have the advatage.

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Ah, but all the time the judoka's trying to get close to the karake guy, the karteka will be punching and kicking and striking him. It's not as simple as walking in and grabbing the gi, even at close range, you can bet the karate guy will be punching away.

3. JHughes

JHughes New Member

If it was a sport like a competition then judo would win because it's got more moves based on sport rather than actual self defence.
    but if it was on the street then karate would have a better chance of winning because it's got deadlier moves.

4. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

I think being dropped on your head can be pretty deadly :eek:

Anyway on a more serious note, well sort of, are you really aiming to win or just get out of there in one peice ;)

5. JHughes

JHughes New Member

Since were talking about Karate vs judo were in it to win. yes being droped on your head is pretty deadly but then again so can your head being smashed against someone's elbow.

Do bear in mind that judo traditionaly is all the takedowns of karate.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Bullcrap. The name Judo has been around longer than the name Karate. Even though Judo throws are in the Karate kata, the Judoka actually practice them :rolleyes:

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Sorry i'm a die hard karate ka , but , i'm with freeform on this , my understanding is that judo came from jujitsu.
    Karate does have throws and take downs that are similar to some judo but thats all.
    Back to the question in hand i'll go for the non commital whoever is better at their chosen art would win (obviously i'm talking about the karate ka ;) ) :D

8. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

The karateka will have one or two shots with which to take out the judoka before he gets grabbed. When that happens, he'd better know how to grapple.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Equally the judoka had better be able to take one or two good punches - cos the karateka's gonna be trying to finish it quickly.

10. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

RFOL..man you are gonna get burned for asking a style vs. style question lol.... Its the skill of each fighter that matters... not the art. If both fighters are equally skillfull in their respective arts... then the luckiest one will win.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  11. Timmy Boy

Personally, my money's still on the judoka unless the karateka possesses decent grappling skills. Which, to be fair, some do. I just think it's pretty unlikely that you'll take out anyone with just 2 punches while they're rushing you unless you have absolutely awesome punching power. Look how easy grapplers in the early UFCs found it to close the distance.

12. Timmy Boy

What style you do dictates to a large extent your training methods, which in turn dictate to a large extent your skill as a fighter. Therefore the art does still matter.

13. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Well i cant say you are wrong but I believe in the end its the fighters ability to adapt and work with the strenghts of his/her art that makes the difference. I think if i agrue against you it will just be an endless cycle so in that case we are both right to a certain point lol

14. miagi

miagi New Member

you shouldn't really put one art against another, it depends entirely on the person

15. Steel'91

Steel'91 New Member

I was going to mention that same story, really, it depends on the particular practicioner, if someone from one style beats someone from another, it doesn't mean that style is better, it only means that that person is better.

16. CCG2

CCG2 Valued Member

I'd have to put my money on the judoka, since most styles of karate spar with the light/semi contact stuff and most judoka go at it full-contact. Even tho strikes aren't included in their training, they'll still be a lot better at what they do (takedown, submit) than a karateka who trained without full-contact.

I gotta agree with TimmyBoy. The karate dude'll land some shots on the Judoka b4 inevitably being taken down n submitted.

Now if it was a Kyokushinkai, it might be a lil different...

17. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

We can do all kinds of statistical/scientific/philosophy/theorical anaysis and debate to the very very death exhausting every single possiblity we can think of and conclude that Karate master will win, and yet he could still get beaten by the Judo master by something we have overlooked.

(Vice versa.)

18. Mat Subayashi

Mat Subayashi New Member

"Please do not be concerned with soft versus firm, kicking versus striking, grappling versus hitting and kicking, long-range fighting versus in-fighting. There is no such thing as "this" is better than "that". Should there be one thing we must guard against, let it be partiality that robs us of our pristine wholeness and makes us lose unity in the midst of duality."

Bruce Lee

19. freak

freak Valued Member

its hard to tell, if the judo guy is quick enough to get inside and grap him then he'll be at the advantage, but if the karate guy keeps landing kicks, knees and punhces to the guy when he is going inside to grap then he would be at the advantage....on another semi related topic, judo is the art that i will be cross training with my goju ryu karate, i will be starting up judo in july, i'm really excited.....sorry to go a lil off topic

20. kyokutsuki

kyokutsuki Valued Member

That post was a little silly or phrased wrong but we cant avoid the question. Every one ( well almost ) has made feesable point at which i'll atempt to sum up.

Define a master ! Exactly ! Every master is different as one could train more than the other or could have greater skill or dedication. And what is the definition for master anyways !

They both have 2 be equally matched! The problem is that it's never a fair fight between 2 people as no 2 persons are the same , wether its height, weight, reflexes or inteligence. As a little joke you could say that the judoka and karateka are identicaal twins, and that it would make it fair but the only problem is that they would know what eachother was thinking and so they'd draw !

Karateka's don't just strike !! (As paul hart mentiond) and to be fair judoka's dont just grapple! Mas Oyoma was an experianced Judoka and kempo practiotioner and incorperated loads of grapling, bars and locks 2 kyokushin. And judokas learn 2 punch and kick !

Fighting in competiton in both Judo and Karate are for improving your fighting ability, learning from your oponents, improving confidence and having fun. If you want to kick the crap into some 1 go into MMA or Street fighting, Judo and Karate are methods of self defence and you should respect each other !

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006