Karate vs Judo

Discussion in 'Karate' started by JHughes, Dec 19, 2005.

1. JHughes

JHughes New Member

Sorry but i have too ask. which would win between A master of Karate and a master Judo.

2. prowla

prowla Valued Member

At punching and kicking, the karateka.
    At throwing and grappling, the judoka.
    More likely though they'd both slap you about for asking such a daft question! :D

3. CrazyMoonwalker

CrazyMoonwalker Dancing with the devil

Ai ai ai..... style vs. style question...better start running man, that topic is taboo!

I think the Judoka will win easily if the fight goes to the ground, and most probably it will.

4. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

between karate and Judo? Kung Fu

5. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

take them both ,great combo.

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Define master

7. sasskia

sasskia New Member

Legend has it that Gichin Funakoshi's teacher, Itosu Yasutsune, was once challenged by a Judo practitioner. It is said he defeated the judoka with a single punch to the solar plexus. Then again, it is legend.

Seriously you can't really say which style will win. You have to look at so many factors. Obviously this has been debated to death, the old grappler vs. striker topic. I won't said what has already been said.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Man, I'm gonna have to unleash the giant squid! And you don't wanna face the squid right now - he's been kept in a goldfish bowl and fed only on 6-year-old black belts for the past two weeks, so he's hungry and grouchy.

Personally I think the karateka would win, because I do karate so it's clearly the best. However, if I did judo I suspect the judoka would be far superior.

...but of course... :rolleyes:

9. xen

xen insanity by design

two men had a fight, one won, one lost.

one man played 'chess' as a hobby, the other 'go'...

both had been playing their respective games for over 20 years.

who won the fight? the chess player or the go player?

10. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Judo guy cos he does a grappling art.

(Oh no! A clear and semi-serious answer!!!)

11. firecoins

why is always and old grappler versus a striker? why not the old strikers versus grappling? :rolleyes:

seriously it impossible to know unless you put a karate guy versus a judo up against each other. And still this would not settle the debate.

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The chess player because, according to chess players, fights always end up on the chess board.

13. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I can think of a better way to phrase this:

If you had to bet on one or the other in a fight, knowing nothing else about them who would you pick, the guy that did karate or the guy that did Judo? And why?

14. xen

xen insanity by design

*bows*

15. firecoins

whoever runs the slowest. Than get the hell out of there.

ok but the follow up comment will be you have to fight. The judo guy because I can he has no long range game but the kartate guy cause I will out grapple him. The answer is either one will do I will kick both their behinds.

okay, I am not that good at fighting but it makes no difference. I have a game plan for both.

I would choose to learn judo first cause it gives you a good grappling art followed by karate to get a striking game.

16. Paul Hart

Paul Hart New Member

I hope no one gets upset with this, as when I make a post such as this I get everyone who wants to argue. But here we go again.

Karate, in the onset was much more than a kicking and punching art. Mabuni Kenwa said in his 1939 book Karatedo Nyumon "The Karate that has been introduced in Tokyo is actually a single part of a larger whole. The fact that those who have learned Karate in Tokyo think that it consists only of hand strikes and kicks, and that throws and joint locks are only a part of Jujutsu and Judo can only be attributed to thier lack of awareness on this art." Those are Mabuni Kenwa's words, not mine. So where did these skills come from? Lets look at the history of Karate on the Minamoto side.

Minamoto Tametomo lost to the Tiara. Some say that because he was a great warrior and fought with great heart the Tiara allowed him to live but banished him to Oshima Island. After a short time he made his way to Okinawa. While there he met up with Ozato Aji, the ruler of Urazoe castle. He married Ozato Aji's daughter and they bore a son. His name was Shunten.

After a while on Oki, Tametome decided the peaceful Oki life was not to his liking. He left with many promises to return. His wife, being a strong willed woman, returned to the port he left from Daily. This port is now called Machimoto, which means the waiting port.

When Tametomo left he assigned guardians for his wife and son. This was the job given to Ushigimina. He would have assured that Shunten would have a proper Martial upbringing being in the Minamoto line.

There is also some proof that other Samurai the joined Tametomo and probably taught the Minamoto Bujutsu to these who sided with them.

To simplify this post, the Minamoto line, through Shunten ended up becoming the Motobu generations later. The Motobu we know taught the Oki Royal families and their protectors. It is through this that we get Motobu Ryu Udundi. This was an art that was taught to Bushi Matsumura, and some proof exists that Tode Sakugawa also knew this art. Matsumura after returning from his Martial studies in China added this with his knowledge of the Lohan arts to form the Shuri lineage of Karate.

So all styles that get their origin from the Shuri/Shorin lineage has as its forerunner Bujutsu which in the Minamoto line contained Aikijutsu.

17. xen

xen insanity by design

and assuming that both have similar physical characteristics and a similiar capacity to learn etc?

essentially, take all the variables associated with the men out of the equation and just evaluate what is left...judo and karate.

at which point the question becomes *drum-roll*

Which art is better for fighting, judo or karate?

is it not clear that each art will be of an advantage at different times during the fight...striking range...karate...close enough to throw...judo etc

from experience;

used to be a first dan shotokan guy who trained with us for about 4 years, i got up to 2nd kyu as junior in judo when i was 15 (before i drifted into other pursuits before coming back to MA's in my early 20's).

at our dojo, training includes sparring, randori-type grappling and ground fighting, the three aspects are studied seperately initially and over time the three stages of your typical brawl are worked on as a unit.

when the two of us used to spar, he used to anhilate me, his striking ability and associated footwork skills were at a level far in advance of mine, his BB in karate used to shine through as he bounced me off the walls. But if the exercise permitted moving to ground work and i could get inside his fists and the soles of his feet and get a grip of him then i was all over him and found it easy to take him to the floor with throws or sweeps...

it really is swings and roundabouts stuff...

(btw, groundwork in the street is not competition, the karateka may not know many fancy locks, but you can't hold a good lock if your choking on your own teeth...i'd say its about 50/50, but each art has its own ground stratergy)

and that quite simply, each art produces individuals capable of winning fights, who wins or loses on the day comes down to (all else being equal) the guy who has the best form at the moment the bout begins or the fight starts out in the street.

18. sasskia

sasskia New Member

Hehe, I just said grappler first because g comes before s. :p

19. KarateBizz

KarateBizz New Member

depends on the person..size, strength, training, etc...
    both are great martial arts...I don't really know enough
    to say who would win, but i dont think too many on this
    earth know either. But, it shouldn't matter, 2 "masters"
    of each art would probably have better things to do
    than fight each other. I asked the same question a few
    months back referring to Brazilian jiu-jistu vs. karate and
    got the same mixed responses. I would say..which ever
    art you are doing, just enjoy it...and if someone asks you
    a question like that, laugh, then punch them in the nose....ha ha ha...
    which i plan to do to my friend if he ever runs down karate again....
    BTW gents, he never did sign up for BJJ...ask you predicted.

later ya'll
    and have a good holidays

20. gutsglorydesire

gutsglorydesire New Member

For 10 minutes i kept trying to decipher that poem , then learned it wasnt one ..or was it.... :confused: :D

Happy Holidays to you too :)