Karate Is the Most Complete Stand-Up Martial Art and Combat Sport

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Arrow Karate, May 31, 2017.

1. Arrow Karate

Arrow Karate New Member

First of all, I insist on the ‘stand-up’ aspect of the comparison. I am not comparing Karate to ALL martial arts and combat sports. I am comparing it to STAND-UP martial arts and combat sports.

In a WKF style fight, you can 1.punch, although punches are limited to straight punches and back fists. You can 2.kick with EVERY kick Taekwondo brings to the table (except the axe kick). Still, you are not allowed HITS under the belt. BUT, what you can do in Karate that you can’t do in neither boxing, kickboxing or Taekwondo, is 3.sweep and score on a taken down opponent! This alone makes it the most complete stand-up sport.Also, because the matches have for final goal to score more points than your opponent, all the focus is on speed and not impact power. What this allows is for strikes ANYWHERE above the belt, including the back and the back of the head! You’re allowed using all four limbs, you’re allowed scoring EVERYWHERE above the belt, AND you’re allowed going for the legs with the sweeps, which I repeat are exclusive to Karate.

The traditional art also teaches many grabs, holds, self defense, joint controls and locks, all the punches from boxing, leg kicks. Karate has many forms, like Taekwondo, called Kata, that one performs while focusing on technical precision and breathing. Kata are also more dynamic than Taekwondo forms, making them more interesting to watch and perform.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am saying Karate is the best martial art there is. In fact, I am saying that there is no better Martial Art, only better Martial Artists.

I wrote a bit more on Boxing, Kickboxing and Taekwondo in the full article right here:

[Mod edit -- No free advertising. No directing traffic back to your own stuff. If you want to advertise, PM or email one of the Administrators.

But do please carry on with a discussion of karate, or any other martial art!]

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What do you mean by "karate?"

Shotokan?
    Wado?
    Kyokushin?
    Enshin?
    Kudo?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Goju ryu?
    Wado ryu?
    Shukokai?

4. Hannibal

Muay Thai has all that and more - you fail at your own comparison instantly

5. Mitch

In a WKF bout, can win by knocking someone out?

Do the forms teach precision and breathing, or is there anything more to them than that? How are they more dynamic than TKD forms? In what way more interesting?

Mitch

6. Hannibal

Not an auspicious star, but welcome to MAP anyway

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Welcome!

And now, conflict! :D (always in the spirit of friendly ribbing)

TKD forms are FAR more dynamic than 99% of karate forms, which are more boring to watch than drying paint (note that the ones done in competition are a select portion, chosen precisely because they were the most interesting ones, and over time heavily modified for increased aesthetic value and physical difficulty, making the remainder even plainer by comparison). Also you're not supposed to 'perform' kata, you're supposed to 'train' them, for which you need to know what you're doing, for which in turn you need solid training, both solo and partnered-up, with both basic and freestyle technique and application drilling plus sparring, such that you can establish a two-way feedback loop between form and application and constantly experiment with both to improve your own skill. Also, most (but not all) kung fu forms blow most TKD and karate forms completely out of the water in terms of dynamism and being interesting :p
    Behold!
    Behold twice more! :p

And as for modern WKF sparring, while it's fun, martially it's possibly the single worst sparring ruleset that still allows contact; though other karate orgs do shobu kumite a bit better, or at least did as of the last time I checked, with the JKF, the KWF, and the JKA for example generally being more hitty and smashy smashy even though they still heavily restrict the legal technique repertoire and leave 90% of karate unrepresented in the competitive arena. This and this > Anything that's happened in the WKF in the last 10 years :p

aaradia likes this.
  8. Hannibal

I don't think they're coming back.....

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

was it something somebody said?

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

JKD Kickboxing is better.

11. Hannibal

I concur, but it isn't technically a sport :)

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

No,but doesn't it qualify as the "most complete stand up" system?

Next to Pa Kua,of course.;)

13. Hannibal

Martial art AND Combat sport...needs both!!!

14. kandi

kandi Valued Member

My mcdojo is better than your mcdojo. In my dojo we are allowed to covfefe to the head.

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Oh....well then it'd have to be Kali.

Sorry,but if you were tweeting in my class you'd have to leave.

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

lots of "traditional" arts teach all this stuff too. doesn't mean it works.

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Yeah I'm really going to have to disagree with that.

18. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

I took a trial class. It has more techniques, certainly! And focuses on Western Boxing punches and footwork/duck/bob/weave etc. Not sure it has any wing chun punching? But I thought it lacked the hip rotation in Thai when striking as it had greater mobility? Can't remember if it had the knees/elbows/clinch which makes thai so ferocious! Thai fighters don't hit as often but they hit bloody hard! JKD kickboxing is probably better for MMA.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  19. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

As a lifelong Karateka please allow me to apologise for the OP.

For starters I wouldn't ever use the phrase "most complete stand-up martial art and combat sport" to describe any martial art (you're just opening yourself up to being laughed at as a joke). More so then try to mention the WKF ruleset when it comes to that, you're just being bloody ridiculous.

I train in Rykyu Tode Jutsu which has served me well over the years and is something I love doing. For me it covers everything I want it to from standing to groundfighting. That said I've spent a lot of time training here and there with folks from other disciplines to find weaknesses in my own techniques and expand my understanding of the underlying principles behind what I train in (you need expereinced and resisting partners to pressure test as much as possible after all). I can probably count on one hand the amount of karateka I know who have and will try other things to make sure their heads aren't planted firmly up their backsides.

Seriously though, why is it we get more ego pumped crackpots in karate than almost anywhere else? Makes the rest of us look bad.

20. Mitch

The OP was just casting stinky bait to try and draw people to his own site, which is difficult after we removed his links for breaking our ToS. As it is, he just leaves behind opinions, which are pretty clearly nonsense. :)

Van Zandt likes this.