Karate History Project - Pilot Study - Introduction of new kicks to karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Moosey, May 3, 2007.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Song Duk-Ki added high kicks into his version of Taekkyon in the late 1970s. The Korea Taekkyon Association (headed by Lee Yong-Bok) follows Song's system.

Shin Han-Seung (Song's number one student) wanted to keep Taekkyon to its roots and omitted high kicks from his teachings.

The fact is Taekkyon didn't have high kicks before the rise in popularity of TKD. I have this in an e-mail from a Korean Taekkyon instructor (living in Germany), which I am desperately trying to find.

2. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

A video of Shin Han Seung performing a form he apparently developed:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bVr7x18xnQ"]YouTube - 4 formes de Taekkyon par le Grand Maître Shin Han-seung[/ame]

Additionally, his student Kyong Hwa Jeong developed an additional form with more high kicks than this one. I will post it later.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks for that video. Hmm, I really need to find that bloomin' e-mail.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I pointed this thread out on the TKD board because I thought we might have some input to make, not as a place to discuss cross-polination of kicks within a Korean cultural setting.

As guests on this forum please can we keep the discussion here relevant to the original post. I can see how we're tangentially related here but if you're not advancing the point of the original post perhaps we could take the details to the TKD board.

Mitch