karate gi for judo ?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by MingTheMerciles, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

I have done judo , brazillian jujitsu and sambo and currently a brown belt , so I am wondering , can I use a black karate gi for the above mentioned martial art ?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's all going to depend on two things:

1) the attitude of your instructor... some won't allow anything but white gi's... others don't care and you pretty much get the blue/black/red gi's showing up.

2) is your gi a heavyweight gi? If it's not...with the top being the heavy weight type and weave... and the knee's sewn like they are on most judo and BJJ gi's... It's not going to last very long.

In Judo and BJJ your gi takes a huge amount of abuse. The gi could quite literally get ripped off of you during a move. lol. So double check if it's got a similar weave/quality/stitch pattern as a judo or a BJJ gi.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  3. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Rrrrrriiiip!!!

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Even with a heaviweight karate gi, the sleeves'll come off. The joins aren't reinforced in the same way as a judo gi.

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

We used to have a competition to see who could rip the sleeves off the karate Gi's ....didnt find any that lasted too long!!!!

Get a judo Gi wear white and if you train in dingy old halls it will gradually turn grey !!!

Good luck

Smurf :D :D

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Only if you hate your gi and want it to die.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We do grappling in the Karate that I do and the armpits on my Gi have completely gone.
    When I can be bothered (when my Karate go literally falls off probably) I'm going to get a Judo gi, cut the embroidered badge off the Karate one and sew it on the Judo one.
    Karate gi's just do not hold up to grappling very well.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It's the reason that I doubt that Judo would be very effective on 't43 5tr33t' - you'd just go around ripping people's clothes off their backs! :cry:

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

getttin' done for attempted rape. :D