Karate-Do Kyohan

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alexander, May 25, 2006.

1. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Yo dudes.

I did a search through the forums and I haven't found a result for this...

One of my friends recommended getting Gichin Funakoshi's Karate-Do Kyohan. I usually would buy something like this to get the views of the founder of one of the systems I study, but so far three things have been stopping me.

The first is that I've read a lot of secondary sources, like martial arts journals, that generally seem to be one hell of a lot more useful than most of the popular books on the martial arts.

The second reason is the very mixed reviews that it has on amazon.co.uk.

The third and final reason is that my friend tried one of the kata applications on me and it failed. Completely. I wasn't even resisting and it didn't work. The application was for a choke, where one of the defenders arms comes down and the other comes up to smash the attacker's arms out the way. Basically the effect was a dull thud and little else. I find that ironic as I've heard a rumor that Funakoshi was choked in the Shotokan - unable to defend himself - against a Judoka who was with Motobu (who, contrary to Funakoshi, orientated training around Kumite rather than Kata). So the third reason is I'm not sure it will be that useful to me.

But...

I have an open mind. Anyone care to lay aside my fears?

Cheers guys!

2. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

I don't know anything about Karate-do Kyohan, but just felt like I should point out that it's entirely possible your friend was just doing that move incorrectly.

3. Alexander

True. I think a twin strike like that probably is supposed to be targeted at pressure points along the arm. However thats another reason why I'm skeptical.

I think that in a real situation where someone is grabbing your neck (or collar), your going to have so much adrenaline rushing through you that your fine motor skills are going to go to hell. So relying on a move that is dependant on pressure points is pretty non-sensical to me. At least if you want to be able to learn the move quickly. I've no doubt that some people can learn to strike pressure points in a real fight but that would take at least ten years to get to grips with. I'm more interested in moves that work because of their sheer simplicity.

4. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Weston Martial Arts

At the end of the day you have to remember that it is only a book, and there is only so much you can learn from them in martial arts, (or any physical skill).

Yes they show you the starting position, and then the finishing position, and sometimes an intermediate position. Its the bits inbetween that make the move, and no amount of clever writing, sketching or even photos can help that. Its those lost nuances that make techniques work.

As a guide to karate, to its history, its core purpose and techniques, then I would recommend that book.

As a guide to learning karate, I would say, stick with your Sensei.
    The book will help remind you of your lessons already learnt, and help you to expand on that.

5. Alexander

Cool. Thanks BushidoUK.

With regards to its History what does it go into? I'd quite like to learn more detail about the connections and contrasts between the different styles of Okinawan Karate traditions, like the evolution of the Shuri and Naha systems. Id also like to know more of the events that took place in the early years of Funakoshi's teaching. Would it go into that sort of thing?

Many thanks,
    Alexander

6. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Weston Martial Arts

to be honest, it has been over a decade since I read it, my instructor lent me his copy for a while, and now I live the other end of the country.

I cant remember how much detail into its history it goes into, all the historical books seem to merge together, a sign of age starting to creep up on me perhaps. :D

All I can remember is that it stood out.

7. Alexander

Thanks for the advice dude.

8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

There's some info on funakoshis teachers and his thoughts on karate , there isn't much on the evolution of naha te or shuri te , but it's still worth reading :Angel: