Karate Check In

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

Karate Style

How many styles are there?
    I'm trying to remember which style i took but i can't :cry: .

anyway, to go off of my topic what is the most common style ppl study in the US?

2. Goju Dale

Goju Dale New Member

There are alot of styles of Karate. Some are

Goju
    Shotokan
    Shurei
    Wado
    Ishinn-ryu
    There are more, but their names escape me now..

SHOTOKAN, is probably the most taught in the USA

Dale

3. andybenw

andybenw New Member

Andy, 1st dan shotokan, but from ten years ago and just started training again.

4. Longshot421

Longshot421 Valued Member

Hi,

Mark (Longshot421 online everywhere)
    Ikkyu (1st kyu, brown belt)
    Renshikan Karate-do

Founded by David Akutagawa, a former pupil of Chitose Sensei in Chito Ryu. Shortly following the death of O Sensei, Akutagawa Sensei founded his own style (Renshikan), which is based largely on Chito Ryu but also has components from ****o Ryu. We have recently begun grappling as well as Takeda Ryu Aiki jutsu. So there you have it. I studied Judo for about 5 years when I was a teenager. For practical applications, there are definitely benefits to both striking and grappling, so I invite style purists to expand their horizons, while not compromising the strong traditions that separate Martial Arts from just plain ol' fightin'. :D

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

KGirl,
    any chance of making this thread a sticky?

6. Longshot421

Longshot421 Valued Member

I had always heard the "Big 4" styles of Karate (as we know it today) were Shotokan, Goju Ryu, ****o Ryu and Wado Ryu. But that's just what I heard. Oh, and I agree, I believe Shotokan to be the most widely practiced style.

7. Cain

Cain New Member

Good idea ;)

Done :D

|Cain|

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Hi. I studied Jiyu Ryu karate and got my black belt about four years ago. From what I've gathered, it's not a very wide-spread style and when I moved from Kent, I couldn't find anywhere that taught it. I tried a local Shotokan club but wasn't impressed with it so I let my training slip while I went to university etc. I've recently started Japanese ju jitsu which I'm really enjoying and I'm toying with the idea of crosstraining

9. sjmariota

sjmariota New Member

Hi,

Style: Shotokan Karate
    Grade: Sandan (3rd Dan)
    Association: TASK (Traditional Association of Shotokan Karate)
    Bedfordshire, England

10. NIKS

NIKS Baby banana killer :D

Hi I'm Nikki, style ****oryu, 1e dan (black belt), Sportschool Raymond Snel, Teacher Raymond Snel 6th Dan, Leeuwarden in the Netherlands.
    I began with the style Kyokushinkai but because I do a lot of national and international competitions I do ****oryu now.
    At the moment I do Hayashi ****oryu but in the future, in about a month, I will go perform ****okai.

11. Stick

Stick New Member

I study traditional shotokan karate, a blend of Okinawan and Japanese karate. Low stances and shotokan kata until shodan then more Okinawan kata and teaching after. I'm a nidan and run a small full contact dojo with about 25 students. We also study kobudo and the modern art of tsuejutsu. I live in Ontario Canada.

OSU!

12. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

my name is shotokanwarrior, u can guess what style i do. i'm an 8th Kyu, going for my 7th Kyu dis evening.

13. Gekko

Gekko New Member

I have 1.kyu in shotokan and I'm going for black in june. I also train with wooden weapons such as tonfa, nunchaku, bo, jo, escrima sticks and bokken. I'm starting with JKD in summer. Sorry to say, but Bruce beats Masao!

14. Gekko

Gekko New Member

Not trying to start a discussion or anything. I still like karate. It's so hard.

Language Please!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2004
  15. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

hmmm

Hmm do you mean this fella?
    [​IMG]
    If you mean so well good for you.
    But Bruce is dead and can't beat the worms eating him...

Regrads Kerling

16. Gekko

Gekko New Member

Right. Did I see you in the Shotokan summer camp at Tønsberg last year? I always see plenty of icelanders there.

17. Gekko

Gekko New Member

and Masao Kawazoe kicks ass. We have that picture of him hanging in our dojo.

I forgot to say, my sensei is Øyvind Weberg, 6th dan.

18. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Gekko

I didn't go last year but I will be there this summer. I have booked and paid for the flight so no turning back.

Hope fully I will see you there.

Regards Kerling

19. Gekko

Gekko New Member

That would be swell indeed. I've just started training again after 9 1/2 months with absolutely no physical activity. I have to condition myself to kick ass very fast if I'm going to have any hope of getting that black belt.

How old are you btw? I'm sure I'll be able to find you amongst those brave specimen that come from your country.

-Alexander

20. Cain

Cain New Member

*cough*

Your welcome to pm each other on the details ;)

|Caon|