Karate Check In

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Anth Gaskell
    6th Kyu Green belt in shotokan
    sensei bob anderson
    peterlee, co. durham, england

2. xubis

xubis New Member

Dunno, let's spray something down there to flood em out ;)

3. HayabusaZero

HayabusaZero New Member

Cameron Lowe
    White Belt in Uechi Ryu Karate (I'm a n00b!)
    Sensei Bob Spoon and Sensei Chip Quimby
    North Shore Karate Academy, Beverly MA.

4. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Furiku Chan here. We have quite a few Okinawan Shorin-ryu karateka, but do we have any other American Shorin-ryu guys on the boards?
    I've been studying American Shorin-ryu for the past 15 years, but I'm still an Ikkyu. At the moment, I am unaffiliated with a dojo, however, when I get a little more money, I'm going to train with a few former students of my father's.

ASKA katas are much the same as Okinawan Shorin-ryu, but we take bunkai and other applications from all over the place. (We also take our weapons forms from all over the place.) Lately, our organization has been dipping into Tuite and pressure points for bunkai. You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff that can be found in the pinan/heian katas alone...

5. redbull

redbull New Member

Do you know of any good uechi schools here in miami Fl?

If not where is the nearest school to miami that one could train in uechi?
    Thnks

6. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Wado-Ruy. To me the color of your belt is not important. I'm planning to maybe change my art to Wing Chun Kung-Fu. Has anyone any experience on the matter?

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

You might wanna ask questions in a new thread. It'll save derailing this one and your more likely to get an answer.

8. PersonasBinar

PersonasBinar New Member

OSU

Andrew here, blue belt, Kyokushinkai (IKO1 for the politically inclined...lol).
    As well my ten year old daughter is a blue belt as well.
    "Daddy it's hard but I like it!"...*sniff* I'm so proud.
    AND!!! My six year old daughter, just completed her first class this weekend.

A prouder father you will never find!!!! :)
    Studying in Toronto, Canada.

Cheers all.

9. Mig

Mig New Member

:D Hi, mig here, My son was 6 when I enrolled him at the local Dojo and I lasted about a month before joining. The whole family is training now so watch out! :D It's contagious. I started in Anshin ryu but I'm practising Kamishin ryu now, 7th kyu.
    Kamishin ryu translates as 'school of the Divine spirit.'
    The style was originated in the mid 1960's by Kameyama Eiichi, formally a student of Kyokushinkaikan. You can tell I am copying that last bit can't you. Don't want to get anything wrong.
    :p

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  10. mani

mani Valued Member

COMBAT KARATE based on goju kai
    yellow grade

11. Rhineville

Rhineville Valued Member

Rhineville here,
    -Goju Kai and Goju Ryu (virtually no difference between the two)
    -Green belt
    -Studied under Dan Fletcher and Ryan Labranche (but I'm currently with Sensei Dan)

My school puts a lot of emphasis on openmindedness and the acceptance of others. We appreciate the sence of history that traditionalism gives us, but our sensei is always changing warmups and other aspects of class on the advise of personal trainers and other senseis.
    He teaches the traditional Katas, but loves to add things to them for tournament time.
    Besides that, we have hard workouts and spend a lot of class time on perfecting katas.

12. ranger

ranger New Member

hi ranger here, shodan, ishin ryu karate-jutsu.

13. HailMusashiKyo

HailMusashiKyo New Member

Bay Area. Shorin Ryu. The sensei I train under was taught by Grandmaster Sid Campbell. Shorin Ryu has many circular movements and can be translated as Shaolin Way, so thats pretty cool.

14. turonaga

turonaga New Member

im aki. my art is gensei ryu karate-jutsu

15. guran

guran Valued Member

Shodan in Wado-ryu/Shotokan (both at once? don't ask) :rolleyes:
    Shodan in Shorin-ryu Shorinkan karate & kobudo
    Nidan in Okinawan Shorin-ryu
    Currently studying Koshin-ryu (Kojo family style)

16. Dranel

Dranel New Member

Osu!
    I'm Dranel, I am a PTKF (Philippine Traditional Karate Federation) -JKA for 6 years and a Purple belt. But I recently move in to the JKA Orient and for now I'm a white belt. You see there are two JKA groups in the Philippines, Shihan Sasaki's (PTKF-JKA) in Manila and Shihan Takahashi's (JKA Orient) in Cebu.

I got inspired in studying martial arts,for my father has trained during his teenage years in the Philippine Yao-Yan in Manila (Also known as "Sayaw ng Kamatayan or Death Dance") especiallizing Jet Kun Doo during that time (I think they occasionally shift from one style to another as time goes by, but I'm not sure...I think they're into kick boxing now). Any JKA in here? From the Philippines or anywhere around the globe? Yohoooo?.... :D

17. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.
    http://www.uechi-ryu.com/oldsite/dojolist.htm#FLORIDA
    All the teachers of Uechi in Florida (that have chosen to be listed).

Good luck, hope you find a good school.

18. Cain

Cain New Member

Hope you enjoy the frums folks, any questions just holler ;)

Dranel - There are quite a few people from the JKA, you might want to check this thread -

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658

|Cain|

EDIT - seems you already checked in I believe member dirk dagger is the one your looking for in the phillipines [typo?] if I am not mistaken...

19. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Hello there! I began with shorin ryu, and moved onto shotokan. Then picked up aikido, judo, and a litle arnis. My current rank on both shorin ryu and shotokan is 2nd dan black (I stopped getting promoted because its too expensive). I'm from the Philippines.

Karate organizations here in the Philippines stay pretty loose. I meant loose in the way that nobody really seems to care if you are affiliated with any governing body like the JKA, WKF, IKF, etc. But they all care when you are registered at the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission).

Good for us since we can hold tournaments with any club at our discretion. Cheaper too.

20. ranger

ranger New Member

where are you in the Phils.? SEC registration doesn't matter much too. skills and lineage very much matter though. don't you think?

good day! :)