Karate Check In

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

teh shotokannies are taking over :evil:

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

We were already in control ;)

3. Blade96

guess its no good to plan for world revolution then? :p

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

What do you mean plan ?:yeleyes::ninja2:

5. Blade96

touche

:p

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just realised I've never checked in here.

I'm Mitch, I'm an ungraded Enshin practicioner training in Loughborough.

I may do TKD sometimes too :whistle:

mitch

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

How's the enshin going, Mitch? How does the grading work? Are you aiming to get an enshin belt soon?

8. Mitch

Time is a limiting factor I'm afraid, I'm only really getting to train once a week so progress is slow. I'm really enjoying it though, so a bit of perseverance and it'll be time to test soon hopefully. I need to learn the kata and keep hammering away at the sparring.

I posted up a review of the grading process a little while ago, link here, which makes me realise I need to get my backside in gear and grade :D

Mitch

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Welcome to the chosen few, Mitch.

I knew you'd come to your senses at some point!

Also, Moosey: Awesome avatar!

10. Mitch

I've always been interested in karate given the historical links of TKD to Shotokan.

Enshin is like Shotokan.

But for grown ups.

Mitch :D

11. Blade96

two can play at that game :)

shotokan is related to tkd....but shotokan is for grownups. :p

12. DaChief85

DaChief85 New Member

13. Blade96

and da shotokannies just keep coming :)

14. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Hah and my sempai said Kyokushin took over from shotokan. lol!!!

15. Mitch

It did in the coolness stakes. Then Enshin took over :D

Mitch

16. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Then tell Enshin to come to the decent parts of Australia. You know the ones that aren't Sydney or Melbourne? :p

17. Mitch

I think you should be prepared to travel for your marsupial arts. What do you mean Australia's a continent not The Isle of White? :D

Mitch

18. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

19. cejames

cejames Valued Member

Okinawa Isshinryu: Isshin Ryu Karate was named on the 15th of January 1956 on the island of Okinawa, Japan. The master of this new eclectic style of fighting art was a gentleman named, "Tatsuo Shimabuku". Little did Tatsuo dream that his new style would become so popular with the military on Okinawa.

Shimabuku-san chose the name "Isshinryu" to represent all things that begin with one. He incorporated those techniques he felt would be fitting when confronted with real life situations requiring a person to defend themselves, their families, and loved ones. These techniques have proven to be the most practical in real life self-defense. Isshinryu techniques were not just tournament techniques designed to score points.

Before the formal naming of Isshinryu, Tatsuo taught from many styles especially Goju, Shorin, and Kobudo. He chose the very best techniques from these styles and, over the years, developed Isshinryu.

One notable change he made with karate was the change from a twisting punch to the vertical punch.

This vertical punch has become the trademark of Isshinryu Karate [Note: many use it now so it is not so special now]. Isshinryu's main objective is the perfection of the self through both physical and mental development [for Marines on Oki at the time it was more of the view on how to kick some butt]. This development comes from the practice of fundamentals/basics, kata, and kumite. The kata are a form of moving meditation as well as source of self-defense techniques. It is the development of self-confidence, self-control, serenity, and increased abilities to concentrate. It also develops higher morals, integrity and help practitioners to become contributors to society.

Charles; Yudansha ; Isshinryu Karate-do

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  20. Mitch

Not that I'm doubting you CEJames, please don't take offence, but I always thought Shotokan was the most commonly practiced karate style? Is Isshin Ryu that popular then?

Mitch