Karate Check In

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Welcome on board :)

2. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

I've been on this Forum quite a while now, but I'm much more of a reader than I am a contributor (trying to change that) so I figured I'm come here and tell a little bit about myself.

I'm Andrew Kennedy presently a Nidan in Shogen Ryu Karate. Shogen Ryu being based off of Matsubayashi Ryu, taught by Taba Sensei in Okinawa. Taba Sensei puts a lot and I mean a lot of emphasis on natural body movements, both in kata and in kumite. Plus that man has some of the ugliest knuckles I've ever seen!

3. BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981 In the House of Draven

BlueDragon1981

Goshin Jutsu Karate - Brown Belt
    Shotokan - White Belt

Have been in and out for 17 years. Currently on longest period out due to raising 4 kids on my own and before that college. Life has got in the way but i plan to return. Money and time limit formal classes. Kids limit my practice time... but one day I will return.

4. Ancientharp

Ancientharp klutzy thread assassin

Grats to everyone with the new belt levels!

I am an orange belt in goju ryu, but I'll be grading for green in a couple months. I've been sick for a little while, so I'll need to ease slowly back into training. (looking forward to it! yay!)

5. batmanrulz

batmanrulz Banned Banned

I'm Elizabeth currently a shodan in Shotokan. Before that I did Gokan Ryu

6. Llamageddon

Welcome to the best place on MAP ;)

7. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Hi batmanrulz
    How was GKR where you live? and how are you enjoying Shotokan now? no flame on the GKR question, just curiosity, they have a different reputatiion here compared to other parts of the world.

8. danny4114

danny4114 Valued Member

Hi all i'm dan and I am living in Aberystwyth atm :)

Studying shotokan, just started :D

I have about 4 years experience in Tang soo do but there wasn't a class up here :( So far though i'm loving shotokan :D

9. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

HERROO

I'm seiken steve.

I train shukokai under sensi Chris yates and Sensi Steve Yates.
    I'm a 3rd kyu. I like to punch things and people.

I was a forth kyu in gojo ryu once and i miss it a lot.

10. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

It's addictive..... i'm an example of a hopeless case :hat:

11. Aad

Aad Valued Member

Shotokan karate for 2 years now. I'm green belt, 5th kyu, and taking exam for my blue belt in a month :cool:

12. Llamageddon

welcome on board :)

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Welcome to MAP! :hat:

14. Aad

Aad Valued Member

Thanks. This is a really friendly community :)

15. Meibukanadian

Meibukanadian Valued Member

After a smattering of judo and a sprinkling of wado-kai, I now have 5 years+ of Meibukan Goju Ryu under my fresh nikyu (brown) belt. And loving every moment of it!

16. Moosey

Welcome to MAP! :D

17. yuen

yuen Valued Member

I'm Andrew
    Currently Brown Belt in Shotokan Karate

18. Moosey

Welcome to MAP, Andrew.

Tell us a bit about yourself - how did you get into karate? Enjoying it? Gearing up for the old black belt yet?

19. yuen

yuen Valued Member

Hi Moosey

Well I started Karate at 9 and at first I didn't have a feel for karate because my parents wanted me to do it. Then after 2 years of training I stopped for a while (for 3 years). Then one day I told my dad that I want to take up Karate again because I didn't do much sports at the time apart from badminton. My dad was actually pretty happy of what I said to him and I started training again the week after. The first few months was quite tough for myself as I have forgotten almost everything I was taught (katas, japanese terms, etc). Now I love Karate and have been training by myself almost everyday :D

I think I will be taking my first dan in 1-2 years time as I still have a lot to learn. :)

20. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Welcome yuen , where do you train ? , doesn't have to be too specific if you like , just a general area.