Karate Check In

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hello to all the karateka! This is the Karate Check In thread.

If you study a style of karate, tell us about it here. Leave your name, style and grade, and where you study :D

I'll start the ball rolling. I'm Kgirl, and I'm a 5th Kyu in Kyokushinkai Karate in the UK. Kyokushinkai roughly translates to The Way of Ultimate Truth, and was founded by Sosai Mas Oyama. As a karate it places particular emphasis on ful contact knockdown fighting, kata's, breaking and a strong mental spirit.

Osu

2. karatekid

karatekid MOOOOOOOOOOOO

freestyle karate
    yelloe belt(third belt)
    british martial arts academy- Hackenthorpe

3. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

HOWDY HEY ALL!! I am Bokata of course. I learn under Master Chris Spruiell, 7th dan, and I train in Knoxville, TN.

Style: Isshinryu

Isshinryu History: Isshin Ryu Karate was created on January 16, 1954 by Tatsuo Shimabuku. He combined his knowledge of the Shorin Ryu and Goju Ryu systems to create this style. Isshinryu roughly translates as either One Way, One Heart, or One Mind. Isshinryu philosophy is that of least wasted effort, both in terms of economy of motion and simplicity of technique. Isshinryu is known for its vertical fist punch.

4. Cain

Cain New Member

I am err.....Cain ;)

Studying karate budokan which is based on Shotokan, it was formed in Malaysia, it's been about 3 years since I have been studying in it, I can't count kyus.....well it's 5th or fourth kyu or something....damn does it matter? :p

|Cain|

5. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

My name is Paul I am better known as ARRANMAN on the web.

I study a style of Karate called Jiyuseishinkai which is a splinter group from Kyokushinkai. My previous style was called Karate Jutsu Kai. Jiyuseishinkai means in Japanese " Freedom of Spirit". My Grade is 1st Dan Jiyuseishinkai and 2nd Dan IKO.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

6. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

Hi, I'm Rig and I study Shukokai Karate under Mal Hudson.
    I've only recently started back training and I'm a 9th KYU, I used to train many years ago under the same excellent instructor and attained the rank of 4th KYU but I had to stop training due to `medical issues' with my first son when he was born. Thankfully my son medial problem have improved and he's just started training.

7. FrankCefalu

FrankCefalu New Member

Studying Karate, the style, Kempo. Currently a yellow belt :p.

8. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Greetings,

Uechi Ryu Karate here,

Currently 6th kyu (we start from one and go up).
    I learn in Florida with Sensei Robert Otto 6th dan.

Regards.

9. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I am a Shodan in USA GOJU under Master Kelljchian, 10th dan and founder of the USA GOJU FEDERATION.
    Master Kelljchian received his masters from Peter Urban who received his from Gogan Yamaguchi.

10. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

d_rza
    Goju-ryu karatedo
    4th kyu (orange belt)
    Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
    Goju-ryu was founded by Chogun Miyagi (Miyagusuku). He encorperated hard snapping techiniques of early Naha-te with the softer flowing techinques of chinese martial arts such as tai-chi and kung-fu. Goju means hard/soft, but most say it should be Jugo as techniques mainly start soft and snap into hard strikes. Goju isnt the only style that encorperates hard and soft techniques, actually every karate style does and many other martial arts.

11. logan32

logan32 New Member

Hey all Logan here I am 3rd dan Tang Soo Do. 1st dan Shotokan.
    4th Kyu Akido. My Instructor for Tang Soo Do was Fred Scott my Shotokan instructor was John McCleary. Instructor for Aikido was Yukio Utada. Been involved with martial arts for about 18 years.

12. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

Actually or politically???

I studied Shukokai and Kyokushinkai

Both styles broke off various times.
    So every time there is a break off there comes a new name and new diploma and new patch...yadda yadda yadda.

But a Kyokushin heart is a Kyokushin heart regardless of the new package.

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  13. Afro

Afro New Member

her my real name is Alex Hook
    im 15
    i study Kyokushinkai
    im a 7th que(second blue)
    and i study in the fokelstone dojo under sensai Phillipe Fiolet and i was instructed by sensai Barry Bergin before his back caused him to retire from practal karate
    Osu
    Afro

14. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Mike Flanagan
    2nd dan
    Shinseido Shorin Ryu
    Leeds, UK

15. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Hi
    sho dan in shotokan
    Reykjavik Iceland

16. Mike Clark

Mike Clark New Member

Mike Clark
    Studying Goju Ryu for 22 years
    Still learning and have respect for all other styles.
    Southampton, UK

17. Blackbeltmike00

Blackbeltmike00 New Member

Hi

Kenpo Karate ( Bill Packer's style )
    Colorado

18. kirkwood1916

kirkwood1916 New Member

Jim Kirkwood
    3rd Dan, Traditional Shotokan Karate.
    Hamilton.
    Scotland.

Have been training for many years, and have trained with many Instructors,
    still looking for perfection.

19. fhotchki

fhotchki New Member

I recently joined Kyokushinkai dojo in Holley, NY, 10th kyu. My 6 year old son joined and after watching for a few weeks I decided to join as well. Felt a little akward at first as I am 35, overweight and have no ma experience. But I am really enjoying it.

Osu

20. Coyote

Coyote New Member

Avery Gray-Leckrone

My wife and I train at the Institutes of Karate in Wooster, OH. I am currently shodan in Awase Kenpo Karate, sankyu in Awase Kenpo Jitsu, nanakyu in Awase Kenpo Kobudo (Tonfa & Iaido), and hachikyu in Kenko-na Kenpo.

Awase Kenpo Karate is an eclectic school based on a blend of Okinawan Seito Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do, Chinese-Hawaiian Kenpo, and Japanese Kenpo Jitsu. It was developed (and is still taught) by Soke Herschel Schenk (Hachidan) and was internationally sanctioned by the SKKI/CBBA in 1983.

Awase Kenpo Jitsu is a sub-style under the umbrella of Awase Kenpo Karate. It is a blend of Jujitsu and Aiki, applied when you and your opponent are in physical contact. Dai-Sensei Larry Sampsel is the head instructor in this style and his focus is more on effective street self defense, less on tournament and point sparring.

Awase Kenpo Kobudo covers all of the weapons taught by Soke Schenk. Originally, it specifically incorporated bo, jo, nunchaku, tonfa, sai, and kama. In recent years, he has expanded the curriculum to include Chinese broadsword, fan, and cane. Iaido has traditionally been taught as an entirely seperate style, although most students also consider themselves to be students of kobudo. Instruction in any weapons program also entitles the student to practice bukido, a point-based weapon sparring similar to chanbarra.

Kenko-na Kenpo is a form of AKK which has been adapted for health purposes. The movements are slow and graceful, with an emphasis of control over all of the body's movements. Although the techniques are the same as in AKK, there are no closed fist techniques, no self-defenses, and no katas. Kenko-na is NOT intended as a form of self-defense, although studying it is certainly useful to a student in any of the more traditional systems.

Having said all that, I have been studying MA on and off for about 14 years (admittedly, mostly off.) I took about a year of aikido in high school, but I dropped out after breaking my foot after practice (not IN practice.) Since then, I've taken a number of self defense courses, and studied a bit on my own, but I've only been a student of AKK for about 3.5 years.

My wife and I train together and hold, currently, all the same belt rankings (with the exception of iaido, which she does not study), although she's getting ahead of me in keno-na and I'm moving ahead a bit in tonfa. We were the first husband-wife pair to test together for shodan in our dojo.