Karate blocks ineffecient?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Adam, Jun 11, 2003.

1. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

The "best" block?

You must show me this, as the word best is used by egotists who want their heads to swell.

There are good blocks as well as bad ones, each block can be from any part of the body and all blocks are effective and efficient. The part that makes them so is something that lies between the ears...the brain. With basics and kata you are learning about the technique, you are feeling the technique, thus you become more attuned to the response. Just because the basics or the kata has full movements does not mean that they are less effective, what is apparent is the lack of openess from the students eyes and brains from not seeing what its really all about.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

2. paul paterson

Karate began as a system of unarmed self-defence, which allowed Okinawan farmers to defend themselves against soldiers of an occupation army. Even as karate blossomed into a formal art-form, Gichin Funakoshi, one of the early masters, continued to emphasize the perfection of defensive techniques before offensive techniques for the well-balanced karateka and martial artist.

Defensive techniques are, of course, of great practical value. Secondly, they require the use of basic blocks and can be perfected only by repetition. Finaly, the study of defensive techniques encourages the development of certain personality traits, namely calmness, awareness and, with persistent practice, a sincere humility.

It is a sad fact that not all students understand this concept of the real martial arts.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

My karate sensei always said that there are no blocks in Karate.

How zen is that?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address! ;)

Col

4. Ozebob

Ozebob Valued Member

Hi Paul,

Regards,
    Bob McMahon

5. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-I teach my students that defense is the most important aspect of a fight. Obviously offense is vital and there is some truth to the saying "the best defense is a good offense", but the loser is the one whose defense collapses first. I stress that set-point control, mobility, and angles of attack are the most important factors in defense. Parries, re-directions, and hard-core blocking is seconadary. I agree w/ the school of thought that believes that the basics are primarily counter strikes(grab and strike; usually to pressure points) and joint manipulations first and punishing/damaging blocks second. Though they do function well as pure block and counter with weapons, espescially kobudo. To me this is the groundwork of the grappling of "old school' combative systems that were the forerunners of modern karate, thd, ect. I do agree with Paul's statement about the importace of basics, but I feel there main value to most students is in teaching increasing power by using the hips; body control, balance, and coordination. This can help a student to develop the attributes that will lead them to technical and physical excellence. The bunkai of PP and joint manipulation gives more advanced practitioners more layers to grow from. IMO this is where many of the MMA, cross training, and progressive movements are kind of missing the boat. Too many are too quick to totally dismiss this vital area and they suffer for it. I am part of that movement, but I choose to not discard my roots or my base. There are reasons that these were handed down. For there value.

6. paul paterson

Ah...the history of karate as taught by the so called experts, I claim to no nothing but my eyes are open and my heart is full of life. When people dictate to others then they shall fall and weak will run, yet I take Ozebob's poit, slightly out of tune Yes but who is wrong?

Osu.
    Paterson.

7. kakushidi

kakushidi New Member

Adam,

Some very efficient blocks can be inefficient if used in certain ways. For example, many karate systems have self defense techniques where you step back, and the blocking hand has to cross the path of the incoming kick or strike, and then move it out of the way.

IMHO, this is very inefficient.

However, lets imagine that a right strike is coming in. For argument's sake it is a right hook with lot of power, and you need to block it.

You immediately begin a counterclockwise spin while shifting your body weight to your right. This can mean a slight step to the right, and if you have your right foot back, can mean moving the foot forward (1-2 feet) and to the right (1 foot).

While this body shifting and rotation is occuring, you raise your left hand so that the thumb points to the forhead, just a few inches away.

That is about 90% of the arm movement of the block. The power of the block comes in the body rotation. The key is to anchor the upright forearm to your body.

The same can be done with a kick.

Both are effecient. Each uses minimal movement of the arm, and leverages the turning power of the body. You don't redirect the attack as you do when you step back. You merely keep the attack on its original trajectory, so it can't be redirected to your new position.

-Kakushidi