karate belt ranking system in ur academy

Discussion in 'Karate' started by karatekid, Oct 12, 2003.

1. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

lmao lol yes dark i know i however chose to right that there and it has as much validity as saying the styles i have attended classes in and realy has no bearing on my knowledge or lack thereof should you think what im saying has merit it wouldnt matter wether i was the god of fighting or some 13 year old kid with a realy vivid imagination... its what is said that matters not where it comes from ...where it comes from just means sometime you have to pay for things you can learn for free elswhere from someone who dosnt come across as impressive:)

2. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

I love commas, why did take them away? :'(
    lol

I suppose, but some peple have to make a living somehow, martial arts is sometimes they only thing they can do really well.

3. sholo86

sholo86 Teoul Moon Kung Fu

Our schools (overseas) do not have belt rankings. We use GUP Levels 1 - 8 (I guess you can compare it to "belts"). You have to learn the basic stances and kicks, 9 empty-hand forms, 4 basic staff forms, nunchaku, and the broadsword. The first MA belt you will wear is black (1st DAN) if you pass the test.

Here in the states, belt systems are widely used. So, we adapted a belt system mainly for the younger students and their parents. For the students, these give kids a sense of accomplishment when they pass each test (level). For the parents, they want to see how their kids are progressing and these belts help identify the level their kids are in. Plus the bragging right (when they see their kids wearing a higher level belt among the students :) ).

I think, if it hasn't changed, we use white, yellow, green, orange, red, then black.

4. xubis

xubis New Member

White
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Purple+white
    Brown
    Brown+white
    Brown+2white
    Black
    dans....

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

My kempo system:

white
    advance white(half white/half yellow)
    yellow
    advance yellow(half yellow/half purple)
    purple
    advance purple(half purple/half blue)
    blue
    advance blue(half blue/half green)
    green
    advance green(half green/half brown)
    brown
    advance brown(half brown/half black)
    1st black
    2nd black
    3rd black
    and so forth

6. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I think i should remind everyone that this is about karate ranking systems, although okinawan kempo or kempo karate is also seen as being traditional karate for some reason.

7. rubix39

rubix39 New Member

Ours goes:

White
    Yellow
    Orange
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    High Purple
    3rd Kyu Brown
    2nd Kyu Brown
    1st Kyu Brown
    1st Dan Black Belt
    2nd Dan Black Belt
    etc.

8. Drealoth

Drealoth New Member

Kenpo:
    White
    Yellow
    Yellow, Advanced
    Orange
    Orange, Advanced
    Purple
    Purple, Advanced
    Blue
    Blue, Advanced
    Green
    Green, Advanced
    3rd Degree Brown
    2nd Degree Brown
    1st Degree Brown
    1st Degree Black
    10th Degree Black

Goju Ryu Karate:
    White
    Yellow
    Orange
    Blue
    Purple
    Green
    Brown
    Black (1st Dan to 10th Dan)

9. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

9th kyu plain white belt, novis

8th kyu white with one green stripe on tip of belt, shows up to class

7th kyu white with 2 stripes. Has learned some basics, and demonstrates interest in being in Karate

6th kyu white with 3 stripes. This is called advanced white which takes most students 1yr to 18 months to reach. this is the first certified rank in our ryu. Prior to this rank you barely egsist. This promotion involves several tests including kata, exercise, fighting, self-defense and written. It is also possible that at this level you have begun to study the kubudo requirements of our style and you may have passed at least one weapons certification which could be either basic Bo or basic Escrima.

5th kyu is green belt. this is the next certified rank and the student is expected to be very dedicated to the study from this point forward. Promotion to this rank involves more testing than previous ranks and certainly more kata and selfdefense technology must be demostrated. It is expected that a green belt have passed 3 or 4 weapons seminars also.

4th kyu is purple belt. this is what we refer to as the first rank of brown belt and of course testing is more advanced than before with expectations being very high. With this rank comes obligation and many things are expected from a purple belt.

3rd kyu is a brown belt with 3 black stripes on the tip of the belt and again this rank is earned through rigorus testing. Most of the kubodo should be passed by this point of which there are 8 separate seminars. Basic BO, Escrima, Sai and Nunchaku as well as advanced for all four weapons.

2nd kyu is brown with 2 stripes and this promotion comes at the discretion of your sensei, but usually takes about a year of consistant training after 3rd kyu to achieve.

1st kyu is 1 stripe on the tip of the brown belt and should not be expected for about another year after 2nd kyu.

When your sensei decides you are ready to begin the next phase of your training and he feels that you could pass the black belt test he removes the last stripe from your brown belt and you are now considered to be in testing for black belt.

Testing for black belt ranks takes at least 4 months to accomplish and includes, kata, exercise, weapons kata, self-defense empty hand and self-defense with weapons, fighting, written and extended essay and research paper.

Kyus are tested only by their own sensei and then black belt testing is done by a panel of senior black belts from the ryu.

the first degree of black belt is shodan (1st Dan) and from this point the expectations for promotion slow down considerably. One must be a shodan for at least 2 years before being eligable to go into testing for Nidan (2nd Dan). Nidan testing is as rigorous as shodan testing , but with more technology requirements as far as self-defense and more advanced katas.

The next rank is Sandan ( 3rd degree). This rank is for only the very few nidans who really work hard and takes several more years to be prepared.

Yodan (4th Dan)follows and even fewer karateka ever reach this rank. This is a rank of junior master and in addition to very intense testing a candidate for yodan must have proted at least one blackbelt from their dojo.

Godan (5th Dan) is a Master rank and as you might guess it takes many years and dedication to acheive this rank. and there are extremely few who ever reach this level.

Rokudan ( 6th Dan) is the next mast level. Maybe there are 2 or 3 of these ranks in our entire ryu which consists of about 150 blackbelts.

Sishidan (7th Dan) is next and there is only one in our ryu.

Hashidan (8thDan) is next.

Kudan (9th Dan) is really the highest rank possible that you can be promoted to by some one else.

Judan is 10th dan and there is only one possible in any system and this rank comes after a 8th or 9th dan decides to create his or her own system and then declares themselves to be 10th dan of their own system.

This is the overview of the ranking structure of the USA GOJU FEDERATION.

10. frodo

frodo New Member

belt ranking

white
    white- red tab
    white-2 red tabs
    red
    red-yellow tab
    red-2 yellow tabs
    yellow-orange tab
    yellow- orange tabs
    orange
    orange-blue tab
    orange-2 blue tabs
    blue
    blue- green tab
    blue- 2 green tabs
    green
    green- brown tab
    green-2 brown tabs
    brown- black tab
    brown- 2 black tabs <----- me
    black

there are lots of belts and stages yes but each take about 5 months to go through. so its not so bad

11. davjohns

davjohns New Member

white
    yellow
    orange
    junior green
    senior green
    blue
    purple
    junior red
    senior red
    junior brown
    senior brown
    black recommended white stripe
    black recommended green stripe
    black recommended red stripe
    first degree decided (2 yrs)
    second degree (3 yrs)
    third degree (3 yrs)
    fourth degree (4 yrs)
    fifth degree (5 yrs), etc. to ninth degree

I am a second degree in my third year. I have taught for the past three years.

dwj

12. ranger

ranger New Member

the color of our belts showing our ranking are ff:
    white
    green
    blue
    red
    purple
    brown
    black

:)

13. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

White, yellow, orange, purple, purple, green, blue, brown, brown, brown, black, rainbow!

14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

in our style (kamishin ryu) the grades go like this:

<white belt>
    1st mon <white belt one yellow tag>
    2nd mon <white belt two yellow tags>
    3rd mon <white belt three yellow tags>
    4th mon <white belt one green tag>
    5th mon <white belt one green tags>
    6th mon <red belt>
    7th mon <red belt one black tag>
    8th mon <red belt two black tags>
    9th mon <red belt three black tags>
    10th mon <yellow belt 1 black tag>
    9th kyu <yellow belt 2 black tags>
    8th kyu <yellow belt>
    7th kyu <orange belt>
    6th kyu <green belt> <me>
    5th kyu <blue belt> <me from 8th march hopefully>
    4th kyu <purple belt>
    3rd kyu <brown belt one black tag>
    2nd kyu <brown belt two black tags>
    1st kyu <brown belt three black tags>
    1st - 8th dan <black belt grades>

the mon grades are for the young kids as an insentive to stick in with the training. you can skip mon grades but not kyu or dan grades ie go from 1st mon to 4th mon. we can sit grades every 4 months if we have a certain attendance level.

15. turonaga

turonaga New Member

we have studnt ranking and dan grades. color of belt? white brown black. black having the greatest burden among student

16. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

belts

Our Belt system is:
    White
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue <- Me
    Purple
    Brown
    Red
    Black

There are also at least one intermediate stage (stripe) in between each belt with more intermediate stages the closer you get to black.

17. Knifes_edge

Knifes_edge New Member

Ours goes

(obi = Belt)

8th kyu White obi
    7th kyu White obi/Blue tips
    6th kyu Blue obi <<-- Me
    5th kyu Blue obi/Green tips
    4th kyu Green Obi
    3rd kyu Green Obi/Brown tips
    2nd kyu Brown Obi

BLACK GI AWARDED (EXTREME PHYSICAL CONTACT PERMITTED)

1st kyu Brown Obi/Black tips
    Probationary 1st Dan Black obi
    1st Dan Black Obi
    2nd Dan Red Stripe on pants/ Red Writing on Belt
    3rd Dan 2 Red stripes on pants
    4th Dan 3 Red stripes on pants / Red & white belt
    5th Dan WHITE GI AWARDED / White & Red Belt
    6th Dan Red Line through Black Belt
    7th Dan No change
    8th Dan Solid Red Belt
    9th Dan Solid Red Belt
    10th Dan Solid Red belt

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  18. Musashi Kyo

Musashi Kyo New Member

Amazingly enough there arn't alot of Black Belts our dojo's testing is every 3-4 months. The belts are...White, Blue(me), green, Brown, Black, red w/stripe at 6( highest instructor in my dojo) up to 10. This Okinawan Shorin ryu.

19. evil_max

evil_max New Member

Grading system in my style is

White
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Purple <--- Me
    Purple with white stripe
    Brown
    Brown one stripe
    Brown Two stripe
    Black 1st dan
    2nd dan
    3rd dan
    4th dan
    5th dan
    6th dan

Takes a long time to get to those levels though.

20. Picksey

Picksey New Member

OK, my wado club goes:

white (beginner)
    red (9th kyu)
    yellow
    orange
    green
    blue
    purple
    brown
    2nd brown (brown with with a white tag wrapped around each end)
    3rd brown (brown with a black tag wrapped around each end) (1st kyu)
    black... (1st dan...)

My previous club (also wado) went:

white
    red (9th kyu)
    yellow
    orange
    green
    blue
    second blue (purple with white stripe along entire length)
    brown
    2nd brown (brown with white stripe along entire length)
    3rd brown (brown with two white stripes along entire length) (1st kyu)
    black... (1st dan...)

(Looks like Spacepimp set a trend with those colours :) )

There's also a girl who comes back to train with us during the summer holidays, but her club in Wales has done some weird stuff to their colour system... they use red and blue belts for sparring purposes, so they aren't included in the grading system. From what I remember, they introduced other colours instead... but it all seemed a bit complicated to me...

I wonder how much the colour system depends on the style of karate, and how much on your club...?