Karate: Applying Kata - Part 2

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Gyaku, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

In my previous article I suggested that karate was a problem solving system of fighting. The analysis and application of kata follows the same pattern. For the purposes of this article I will use Sanchin kata as an example.

When Jigaro Kano developed Judo, one of the key elements that he noted was that throws are generally only effective if the opponent has been properly off-balanced. (Kuzushi)

Thus when faced with the task of throwing an opponent, a karateka should also ensure that suitable off-balancing occurs prior to the throw. One method of doing this is to tug sharply at your opponents sleeves in time with the throw. To pull this off you need a degree of tension in the body. Training in Sanchin helps you do this.

Let’s take the opening movement:

Description:
    The opening movement is made with closed fists with moderate tension. The feet are used in a semi-circular manner. You breathe out with the final part of the movement. You try to sink into your legs as much as possible

Application:
    With tension you off-balance your opponent by pulling them firmly and sharply towards you, second, using the circling step you to sweep their leg off the ground. You must sink in low and stay low, preferably get your hips lower than his.

Essentially, all the points in the performance of the kata (sinking of weight etc) should apply to actual usage.

2. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

My brother did this to me as we did a practice. He first grabbed me on my shirt around moderate strength then pushed me on either shoulder to make me fall back a bit so my foot would rise then my brother jerked me in, it turned out a lot easier to make me off balance when my momentum was moving back and then into a sudden jerk which sped up my momentum quite a bit.

That's the key is to speed up the person's momentum, to get get em' down even if they were a bigger guy that you want to throw.

But good description :D

3. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

He also realized eventually that any learned technique must be practiced at reasonably fast speeds to be more effective.

Most instructors practically emphasize kata too much in the training regimen because it is pretty and not all that hard to do. Kata is an effective training tool for laying the foundation of any TMA skills. But for real advancement you have to spar at realistic speeds just as the old Kodokan guys did.

4. Pete Ticali

Pete Ticali Valued Member

Leaving the dance, and entering the Kata

Gyaku
    Excellant observations!
    Most persons who deem Kata useless do not understand it, or weren't properly taught what Kata is. They were taught the dance (movements) but neither understand the Bunkai, or ever discovered that the fluid movement shows how to incorporate their entire body into the technique.

You are correct about the Judo throw and the off balancing. Karataka using Judo and vice versa.... What if I told you a missing element in that technique might be considered Aikido? Most Judoka might learn to apply pressure to off balance the opponent (backwards). They "push" extending their arms to a full locked out position. THis is not a good position to throw..... but the Judoka knows that every action has a reaction. Rather than being "pushed backwards off balance" the opponent resists and thrusts forward, only to have the Judoka "collapse" his/her straight arms and use the opponents momentum to easily direct the energy over their hip/shoulder/outstretched leg etc. etc.

Not a bad explanation for a Goju guy....... LOL ( I began as a Yudo practioner in 1963) Getting back to your initial post. I seriously doubt may people still know what Bunkai is... no less actually understand the theories and multiple uses of each Kata movement. It reduces their sparring to chaos and whose the best / fastest jock. Sparring is a very useful & necessary by product of Kata, but the "One Encounter-One Chance" of self defense is better served with the "conditioned response" of an advanced Kata. Beginning Kata teach you "how" to move. Advanced Kata holds many unrealized applications. There are many principles there yet to be discovered by the bulk of modern martial artists.
    Just my .02

Pete Ticali

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006