Karate: A problem solving approach to combat - Part 1

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Gyaku, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Introduction

Ok, so what is Karate?

I would like to argue that it is a systematic set of techniques and strategies designed and trained to deal with a variety of combative problems. I will refer to a mix of common combative problems and show how karate uses techniques and strategies to overcome these issues.

Problem: I can't get close enough to my opponent, his reach it to long.

Solution: Develop bridging techniques. These are a set of techniques that allow to safely close the distance between you and your opponent in a safe manner. Its outcome is to immediately make contact with your opponent whether, by grip, punch, clinch or other physical contact

Example: Kick with a driving front kick, as you move into his space start to throw your punch, it is VERY important that you maintain a guard as you move in. Second you MUST throw the punch as you move in range.

Tips: If the gap shuts down too much or you receive heavy resistance - apply a fast clinch and use the elbow and head butts as your range allows. If he is further than a standard kick, use a skipping motion to close the gap.