Kamatuuran Kali's Baston

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by tuturuhan, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  2. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

3. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

I have always recommended to students whether they prefer to train with a light stick or not....to pick up a heavy stick such as the kamagong or Bahi stick weighing approximately 500g, to improve their body mechanics not solely their grip. To teach them not to fight the weapon, but go with it. It also helps to build up strength and accuracy.

Another good excercise is to mark out points on a tyre stack or such like and again use a heavy bahi stick or similar to train, picking out your marked targets.

My preferred grip is the 'side thumb', using my middle and ring finger as the primory grip and the index and little finger to maneouvre (direct) my strikes with accuracy. It helps my speed to keep a relatively light grip until impact, but my middle and ring finger will always be locked in place to prevent a disarm.

When I spar, I always pick out targets, paticularly the boney areas such as hands, elbows, knees and colar bones, regardless of which sparring format I use....armour, padded stick with headgear only (no body protection) or Black Eagle with headgear only (Live stick with no body protection).

Regardless of format I always fight the same way and it has proved very successful for me having won 6 world titles, 5 European and more than 20 British. I always defend and evade and have been told in the past by a GM that I fight old skool even with the armour on.

To gain my junior instructor rank many many years ago, I had to go up against a claw hammer, baseball bat, pick axe handle and even wood (looked like a tree trunk) with spikes coming out of it, and your more FMA related weapons of heavy stick, long stick and various swords. This was also tested during multiple attacks (multiple attackers) at once. Often at gradings since mine, you will see the use of extendable batons and other martial art weapons perhaps associated with other Japanes and such styles etc... to see how they can counter or use completely different weapons to what they are used to.

Do I fall into the most people category. I would love to know if I am a 'good' or 'bad' eskrimador?????? Or do I need to go back to basics and learn how to hold a stick again????? :eek: :D :D :D :D

Love Lucy :love:

4. Pat OMalley

5. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Tuhan:"1) 44 years of practice...I was around before FMA spread around the world. In those days, there were only a handful of FMA teachers. Look at Remy's book."
    Pat:"There may have only been a handfull of teachers in the USA but not so in the PI andl nearly 30 years in the game if you like give me a bit of insight too."

True Pat, we are blessed with a very rich history of eskrimadors - The Ilustrisimo's, the Saavedra's, The Romo's, The Canete's, The Tortals etc etc The likes of GM Melecio,GM Islao, Tatang, Tatay Ensong, GM Momoy...the list goes on...to me these are our heroes and their memory should be honoured and respected - By implying that FMA was dead in PI it is not doing so.

6. Pat OMalley

I am sure he will tell by what authority he can state to us all how he knows we are all doing it wrong

Best regards

Pat

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Pat,
    He has shown some footage already, start at the 1st posting, and work into this.

I have asked for some footage of you and yours, have not seen it yet. I have none, so don't ask.

Your style is repeating it's self, you pulled this respect stuff with me...LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doce_Pares

"Doce Pares is the world's leading organization of the traditional Filipino martial art known as Eskrima or Arnis (stick fighting). Magellan's sword-wielding conquistadors fell to Maharaja Lapulapu who used Eskrima to defeat the Spanish at the battle of Mactan. Doce Pares traces its history to Lapulapu".

My comment to above about Doce Pares, sure it does...

Redonda, that is in the Doce Pares drills and 1-12... Or maybe it is the Redondo?

Repeating ones self in tactic's can get you. I believe you are in it for the skirmish. ;)

Gary

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Well Pat you have done it again, he has 44 years in the arts and you are about that old. LOL

The 2 sided sword cuts both ways. If you hold it correct and use it right the single edged weapon does also.

From what I have seen and the way the Doce Pares people hold the stick I understand where Joseph is coming from. True some hold it wrong big time. Since they say Doce Pares has a large part of the market maybe they do hold the stick wrong. To grip and not have the ability to allow it to function as another joint would, is wrong. And at times you don't want it to. But if you don't learn both ways who will change? I have been to many Doce Pares function seminars, and have read much of there stuff. I see 60% of the classes are children.

I respect some of the older more than you do, IMHO... Yet I think I am 20 years your senior.
    Agenda I believe so, but I said that once, then Lucy (wife) said "oh no" and who should know better!..NOt... One of the reasons they don't allow wives as character witness in the courts. Not objective/some even intimidated...(court say's that not me)...

If you are giving a class and 70 students are there, are most of them going to hold the stick right or wrong? Is the eskrimador going to hold it wrong, probably not. Your insecurity is very apparant, I have to tell you.

Here is a new poster with very good credentals and you want to treat him like a new kid on the block. Gang mentality as I see it. I have mentioned it before, and here you 2 go at it again. LOL Then jumps in another, and then another and back to the other.

Comical to say the least. IMHO

This whole deal about respect, really gets old why don't you give it a rest and give others some respect?

Gary

9. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi Gary

Mabuhay

Hope you are keeping well, and good to see you 'enjoying' the forum threads.

Respect - what is it really??? It is certainly not something that is DEMANDED by age, status, or ego, but rather, it is COMMANDED by by behaviour (UK Spelling), knowledge, etiquette, honesty...etc, etc, etc.

I do not need to defend Pat at all (he's a big boy now :D )...BUT, I do know him personally, and I can certainly say that he knows EXACTLY what respect is and is not. He will freely give it whenever it is due, and refrain from sharing it when it is not due.

Maybe, it is true that, inorder to earn respect, you have to first know how to give it???

Gumagalang (respectfully)

Peter

10. oosh

oosh Valued Member

"Here is a new poster with very good credentals and you want to treat him like a new kid on the block. Gang mentality as I see it. I have mentioned it before, and here you 2 go at it again. LOL Then jumps in another, and then another and back to the other."

Gary calm down man, you're becoming somewhat obsessive ;) I say let your personal issues go, because each thread keeps getting bogged down with it. Just so you know, I have viewed all of Tuhan's Youtube footage and spoken privately with him; While we might have different views historically, I can see the great passion he has for the arts.

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Geez, you don't consider this cool and calm and totally calculated, I am hurt. :rolleyes:

12. Pat OMalley

Quite frankley, your opinion to me is insignificant. As I have stated before you are a TROLL, but I will entertain your ego a little.

You see I do not care whether someone is 20 years my senior and 20 years my younger, when they come on a public forum and tell everyone that the majority are doing it wrong and therefore give the impression that by some will of god they are doing it right then I personally take a bit of time out to ask for proof. And also sign their name at the bottom using a title but refuses to respect the titles and spellings of individuals names that they are trying to use a credibal back up for their theories then yes I get a bit narked.

Ranting on like you do does not prove to us how this guy knows the majority are doing it wrongonly he can do that and I am sure if he is as good as you say he is, then he does not need you butting in regardless of whether he is an old or new poster.

Also you slating Doce Pares just shows that you infact act your shoe size and not your age and smack a little more of jealousy, so what if they are the biggest group in the world, they must be doing something right eh! Are they the best, of course not, no one can lay claim to that, Are they the oldest yes and are they the biggest yes again.

All I will say on your comments about Doce Pares is this. PROVE IT. SHOW ME. Like everything else you give comment on, you cant can you?

As they say in some regions Kali means to dig a hole, you just keep digging, who knows you may find some treasure old man.

Oh by the way, keep having a pop at my wife, it's a good tactic, for a child. grow up man. Act your age and not your shoe size.

Pat

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Pat,
    You are a name caller, have been before I got here, and still are. As far as calling people names and repeating your strike you need to give it a break. IMHO...

Again you are on the wrong track, if I wanted respect I would not be commenting to you about it. I made my comments because I wanted to, you are making yours for the same reason I would think, similar to others. I have no backers nor need any.

If you and your wife want to do the tag team match, I am afraid that my comments have to go to both of you. Simple.

Gary

14. Pat OMalley

Sorry busy at the moment so I cant feed the Troll:bang:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

RESPECT :D :D :D

16. Pat OMalley

Look a Troll with a pick axe handle:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

17. Pat OMalley

Attached Files:

18. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Pat mentions:
    Just shows how much attention you really pay to other posts you comment on. You watched the San Miguel footage of GM Kano that I posted, who the hell do you think was partnering him?

I mentioned:

I observed the video and liked the moves and noticed the style. I also said I did not listen to it (as before).

So at the start of the Video man in red, not you. During the video some give and take. Man in red, you. During the talking two persons one on right in red one on left in black. Either of them you?
    Very dark inside so I am not sure about those person's, I am going to let you tell me. But lets do it over at the proper thread. OK?

19. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

SiLENCE!!!
    GOD"S GONNA POST NOW!!!

Sorry, just got to let it out. :woo: :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  20. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

I will give you a clue.....Pat is the one that isn't Filipino :bang: and the only one that partners GM Kano in the footage.

Oh can I play tag today...my turn, I will be it.... :D

You post yours....no you post yours, no no you post yours....no no no no you post yours.... :bang: I got here first...I win. :D

Oh if only me and Pat could post together, I would because I do not have a mind of my own and different free available time to Pat. If only MAP would allow a double user name and twin keyboards, I have been asking for years to no avail.

I genuinly went out of my way to explain how I hold a stick as the subject was brought up and as there are other people on MAP that may actually want to know now the different ways to hold one, but it would seem I am the only one prepared to do this and your only going to slag me off for it. I assume I am holding it wrong then?

So tell me, how should I be holding my stick? Upside down? But which way is the right way up for it to be upside down? :eek:

Again, you are accusing without quoting:
    Please quote the area's where this has been done. I personally do not think asking someone to clarify their statments is ganging up on anyone and by asking questions it is treating him like a kid, you what? I did not realise that MAP was just be read and not to be responded to. There has been alot of questions asked and no responses given yet, maybe he is busy, so why do you feel the need to take over on his behalf.....if you want to, then you answer all the questions posed. Just let us all know who you are answering for. But I am sure with 44 years experience, he can answer a question for himself about how to hold a stick, especially as it was a subject he brought up, he does not need your help.

It is a genuine conversation and you are trying to make out it is something else as usual. All the responses have only been in response to what others have said...you say something, I say something, then you say something and I say something...you know what I mean....in conversation that is what happens. Well that is what I know as a conversation, your idea is I say something.....everyone else listen and please do not comment. :rolleyes:

Love Lucy :love:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007