Kamatuuran Kali's Baston

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by tuturuhan, Feb 10, 2007.

1. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

1. The counter strikes are designed to devastate the limbs.

2. The footwork allows the kali warrior to travel around the opponent rather than fighting in a straight line.

3. The movements are fluid and continuous.

4. Patience is the key. Dawat...to receive and aborb before the counterstrike you must have confidence.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_KEqcLGf8"]singlestick - YouTube[/ame]

Tuhan Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
    Grandmaster Kamatuuran School of Kalijin

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Thanks for sharing inad explaining the clip to us.

Mabuhay FMA

YBIFMA

Pat

3. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

You are quite welcome.

Best wishes,

From a female perspective: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1buhhQjTLU"]Kamatuuran School of Kali - YouTube[/ame]

4. Pat OMalley

Aha! Yes I have seen this clip via the FMA Forum and this young lady speaks very highly of you. I do beleive she will be in the UK and Europe very soon.

Great clip, thanks

YBIFMA

Pat

5. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

Pat,

Gura Michele Bautista has been with me for over 14 years now. She is one of several women Guras in our system. She teaches her own class in Oakland, Ca

I too will be back in Europe in April. I will be teaching seminars in Rome for the Taramani School and for Sifu Zorbas Jkd School Athens. Stop by if you are in one of those two cities.

Best wishes

6. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

you guys are in oakland? is it possible to drop by? i'll be in san leandro for two weeks.

7. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

Sure...we have Guros/Guras teaching classes in Oakland, Livermore, San Fransicco, Union City, San Mateo and San Jose.

Where are you presently located? Send me your information. I will also be teaching a 3 sectional staff seminar on Feb 17th, in Union City.

8. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

Hello Tuhan,
    I don't want to sound disrespectful but I just wanna know how much CMA influence was incorporated in your FMA system?

Respects.

9. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

There is no disrepect...it is a valid question.

Yes, I have 30 years of tai chi chuan. It does affect my style. However, my teacher's teacher FLORO VILLABRILLE, talked about learned Americano, Franciais, Italiano styles. In other words, we don't close our eyes to techniques that will help us to win in battle.

In the Phillippines, we know that the Espara y daga, long stick and short stick was adapted by from the european "cutlass and dagger". We know that the word "Escrima" comes from Europeans commenting on street fighters in europe. The word is mentioned in European fencing manuals as early as the 1500's.

The world is small...the internet and video allows us all to see things that others could not in earlier generations.

So yes, your eye sees the influence of Chinese martial arts, European marial arts and World Marital Arts. Good question...

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    Will that be at Sigung Jeffs location?

Edit:
    Are you familaiar with the staff of the Chinese, the "Gun"? I am thinking you are the Tuhan who teaches GM Ben Largusa/Villabrille Kali???

Regards, Gary

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  11. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

Gary,

No...I do not teach at Jeff's Kajukenpo School. Though, I have visited his school. Jerry Corpus and Cheyenne Corpus, (under Master Emil) are my nephews.

Yes, my teacher was Ben Largusa. You might have read some of my articles on Manoy Ben and my method "Kamatuuran Kalijin in Black belt Magazine, Inside Kung Fu and Filipino Martial Arts. Thank you for asking.

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Tuhon,
    Thank you for responding. I was talking to GM Joseph Bautista about the FMA that was taught in his school and in Sigung Jeffs school. He mentioned only Doce Pares?

I read the web site at Sigung Jeffs school and thought that he had some Kali going? I have read that there are several of GM Largusa students that teach in the No. CA area. I am in the Sacramento area, at EGMAA, Owner/Sensei Pat Kelly.

Regards, Gary

13. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

Tuhon Pat,

Looks like one of my Gura's is going to stop by your student Damien's class. Thank you for recommending her. I look forward to meeting you one day.

14. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

15. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

So, how do you grip the weapon? The way you grip the weapon is important to how you focus and control the strike.

1) Most people simply whack with the weapon. They use the power of their muscle to hit as hard as they can. Yet, are they actually doing damage? No...they can't gauge how to increase the velocity or decrease the velocity of the strikes. If they did they would understand "timing". They would know how to regulate the power of the strike to the varied actions of their opponent. In other words, knowing to use the appropriate about of "stroke".

My grandfather was an escrimador that came to Hawaii in 1910. He was a master escrimador and a master pool player. He understood that each stroke must be honed in escrima and in pool. Sometimes you hit very very softly, fluidly and precisely to do damage and sometimes you have no choice but to stroke hard.

2) Most people can't hit with accuracy and focus the major targets of the "head, hands or feet" as they are moving. Most people today, "hit stick against stick" a watered down version of the real thing. Even Remy Presas and Juny Canete talked about how dangerous it was to practice striking directly to the hand. They both decided to use lighter sticks, striking stick against stick, and created the use of armour to make modern FMA into sport.

3) Most people can't "change up" to redirect the strike as their opponent changes his movements. In sport, these guys stand there "whacking" each other never thinking of defense. What if you didn't have armour?

So, what is your grip? I can tell how good you are by how you hold your stick.

16. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Tuhon,
    Thank you for the invite, I was going to come over and take you up on it, but I came down with a stain of Flu that was not in the shot I got a month ago. Bummer.

Regards, Gary

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Gripping

Tuhon,

I am glad you have taken to addressing about this simple but complex issue.
    Similar to striking "the hard and soft" issues of how you should hold your fist.

I have a pretty good disagreement with a few, about how you hold the stick or Baton or Muton.

I have swung a hammer for a full time or part time money source for over 50 years. Those who don't know how to hold a stick I just hand them a heavy framing hammer and tell them to swing it. They learn quick. Or cramp up. LOL.

Gary

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  18. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member

Gary,

Yes yes yes!!! They don't get it until they hold the weapon. It's not enough to watch...you must feel it.

As such, most stylists are stuck using only the light 28 inch stick.

You have learned alot in using the sledge hammer. You have learned to hold it in a way that maximizes its heaviness. You have learned to hold it in a way in which you do not hurt yourself. You have learned leverage and control.

It takes deep reflection to learn these things. More importantly you learn them by using the tool, the instrument or the weapon in actual daily "life".

19. Pat OMalley

That's rather a bold statement. How do you know MOST people simply whack with the weapon? If someone is a begiiner or has no knowledge of the FMA, yes this could be true, but most people who train in FMA and have a good grounding from their senior afficianados do know how to hold a stick, it is after all the very first lesson they learn. To say MOST people (if you are refering to all FMAers that is) do not know how to hold a stick is a bit unfounded and rather critical of the majority of the practioners and their Masters.

Most people today hit stick against stick in order to presrve their training partner, it is not a watered down version of the art but rather a safer mode of training and keeping your training partner active. So let me ask you. When you train someone do you hit them constanly on the hands, body, head and legs?

Surely if you do this with any degree of power you will lose more students to serious injury before they have even got a half decent grounding in the art?

Or do you gently stroke these target areas?

And would this not by your own assumption of stick to stick hitting also be a watered down version of the art as you are not contstanly practicing you proper stroke and power?

Grand Master Remy Presas (who was also a notable fighter in his time) developed the stick on stick training method in order to help preserve students, he seen that the hitting to the hand and other targets was one of the reasons the art was only practiced by a very small minority and in order to help preserve a dying art he developed a safer way to practice the art without actually taking anything away from it.

Now Grand Master Dionisio Canete was instructed by General Ver to formulate a sporting aspect to the art during the formation of NARAPHIL, he was instructed to develop both the rules and safety equipment for a sport version of the art which he done very successfully. But remeber in those days the euipment was only a crude version of what you se now, The Head gear is very much like it use to be but the body armour was more like wearing just a couple of sweat shirts (I know I have fought in it) and there was no hand or arm protection and the rules were even more crude than they are now and many people were put in hospital during bouts.

The invention of the sport in no way detracted from the art, but rather it was intended and is used to help promote the art to the masses. Even GM Diony will tell you that the art and the sport although they use the same principals are different. The sport is a sport, it is meant so you can train certain attributes in a safe environment but has not and was never intended to be something that watered down the art. It helped to civilise the art to a certain degree and put an end to the so called death matches that still happened in the 70's and 80's in the Philippines.

I knew GM Remy and I know GM Diony very well (he arranged my wedding) I can can honestly tell you that GM Diony's application of the art is by no means watered down (ask Master Inosanto), neither was GM Remy's and if you watched both of them in action in full flow you would see that what they do, would not be allowed in any version of the sport, for they both do or did teach the full effective fighting skills of the FMA.

Again you say 'MOST' people and you try to compare it to them being in the sport. The sport is just that a sport, it is only representing a very small portion of the art as a whole and yes it is true, many play within the rules and sometime the rules do not give a good representation of the art as we know it, but if they stuck true to the art then they would be disqualified in the first round. Sport FMA is not the Art FMA but sport FMA helps to promote the art to the general public.

There are only two types of people who critisise the sport, either those who dont do well at it, or those who have never taken part in it. But if you use the sport as a training tool regardless whether you try to win medals or not you can learn some very important lessons from it and some of your attributes will be developed to a greater degree. But as I have said, The sport is not the art but rather a tool for training and a good way to help increase awareness of the art.

Well that depends on what I am trying to acheive at that point in time.

No offense here, but by what authority and with what evidence can you state that most FMAers and their Masters and Grand Masters (if that is what you are trying to refer) are doing it wrong?

Best regards

Tuhon Pat O'Malley

20. tuturuhan

tuturuhan Valued Member