Kali, Escrima, Arnis Debate

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Crucible, Aug 7, 2004.

1. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

question

when do all angles become one angle???

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

When the fat lady decides to sing :)

3. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

NICE! :) good answer

4. krys

krys Valued Member

I'd be more interested in knowing who is the best looking fma action starlet :love: .... any filipino Lucy Liu or Ziyi Zhang around? :D

5. Roman_Rapido

Roman_Rapido New Member

I think one "starlet" has started taking up FMA, Liela Kuzma. She's one of the host of "Eat Bulaga" (noontime variety show). She also co-starred in the arnis movie "Mano-Mano" (although she didn't do any arnis in the movie). I saw her doing some sinawali in one of the dance segments in the program. :)

6. Son of Escrima

Son of Escrima New Member

as i've gathered from the long debated topic of Kali and even Escrima/Arnis,

i'm just going to call it: Filipino Martial Arts. period...

i'd like to see the debate on this: Pilipino Martial Arts, Filipino Martial Arts et al... oh man, here we go again, is it "f" or "p".. haha.. any takers :love: ?

Son of Escrima (or Son of the FMA!)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  7. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Both, Filipino is the proper "english" spelling. People started using Pilipino in the 60's when alot of ethnic groups in the USA were trying to create thier identity and were choosing new empowering names for themselves. Pilipino was based on that 1. apparently there are no indigenous F's in any of the major languages in the Philipines, and 2. Pilipino could be broken down into "pili" to choose, and "pino" the finest. So, Pilipino as an identity meant people who choose the finest for themselves and thier community. The term was mostly used in the 60's and in the SF bay area. So if you see philam organizations formed in the 60's you'll see Pilipino(ie, PACE, Pilipino American Collegiate Endeavor), or if they're from the SF bay they might have it in thier name as well(ie, Likha Pilipino Folk Ensemble). For martial art purposes its pretty much personal preference. Our F's sound like P's anyways :D

8. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

One more thing about that, if someone who has Pilipino in thier organization title there's two things you can guess about them, they're probably from the USA or have lived here for a while(probably the SF bay) and they've probably done work in the community. Its not a common everyday term(though it looks like its spread), its mostly used by people who have been doing some kind of social or activist work in the Philam community. Probably student organizations or nonprofit work.

9. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Or you could say that Filipino is spelled Pilipino in it's native language in the Philippines and it's use outside the Philippines are by Pilipinos who were born and raised ? It's also a result from accents..." Hit the weepon pifty to porty times gardamet ! It always brings a smile to quote one of the manongs try to curse and murder the english language :D Sometimes it's funny to hear him explain some stuff with added sound effects Pak! Pak! Pak! Because of his accent we often wondered if this was His attempt at a common american expletive. And I heard there was another Manong they called Master hoops! Every move would be accented with HOOPS! HOOPS! , HOOPS! So out of curiosity I have heard the Americans say Bang! what about you blokes in the UK ?

The international cry for pain though seems varried . In terms of ouch, in tagalog it's aray! in Visayan it's agay! in Spanish it's ay!

Cheers. :)