Kali, Arnis, Escrima, which style is best?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Hazmatac, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

And why?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

absolutely

4. shootodog

btw, it just occurred to me that this is in the western martial arts section. why?

5. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Mispost, do not know how to move. Feel free to move it if you like.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

OP your question is like saying. "which is better - a car or an automobile"

7. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Well, for sheer economy and quickness I will have to go with "car." However, "automobile" does have a certain ring of culture and refinement to it...

Decisions, decisions. :thinking:

8. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

*grumbles* I still like 'Iron Horse'...

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Joking aside, they're all three generic terms; meaningless in and of themselves. Each just refers to a practice that's Filipino in origin. Not to a specific set of techniques. Hell, my own school of Doce Pares began with the term arnis and then shifted to using the term eskrima.

Wanna guess how much the curriculum changed?

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Are they all synonymous then? Like "car" and "automobile"?

11. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Bah, our system changed its name from "arnis" to "kali," and since you don't get the confusion of spelling between escrima and eskrima, clearly "kali" is superior.

:p

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Kali. The name is easier to write and spell.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

However, arnis and escrima are easier to search for online ;)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Unless your school uses the spelling Eskrima.

Oh the confusion.

On a side note when I had my belt embroidered the young guy in the shop thought I had it wrong when I asked for Eskrima with a k.

Take up boxing, so much easier.

15. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Informative :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  16. shootodog

escrima, eskrima. how one letter led to a bitter feud between grandmasters.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Essentially yeah. Early on, I used to hear distinctions like "arnis reflects more Spanish influence, kali is from the Southern Philippines and involves more blade work, eskrima is more influenced by Western fencing." But those are all generalizations that don't hold up for a New York second under scrutiny.

Add to that the overall generic... ness of the terms. Serrada Escrima is fairly different to Doce Pares Eskrima, etc. And it's quickly apparent that the terms are really only useful in indicating that they're Filipino and nothing more.

Much like "karate" really.

18. shootodog

in general, the term "arnis" usually means that the founder comes from luzon. the term "escrima" and "eskrima" usually can be found in systems that have their origins in the visayas. the southern islands have their "silat" and "silat kuntao". estocada was also another term that was used to label fma.

kali...uhm...well...uh, yeah. sticktown KALIfornia :D

but it's pretty much the same. if we had been different in the past history, after fighting with each other and drawing and borrowing and refining, arnis, escrima, estocada, filipino silat, and kali are "alike". fma is fma. provided you're learning real fma and not some nutjob who watched youtube and started swinging sticks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  19. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

Really? Could you elaborate a little?

20. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Mmmmm Yes I know. ;)

And during one of their public arguments my son who was 9 months old at the time hit one of them on the head with his baby milk bottle as he was trying to argue, which followed by the whole room breaking out in laughter including the person who got hit and one newspaper man said " hahaha why dont you do what the British do and just call it stick fighting".

Of the crazyness of it all.

But to answer the OP's question, Kali Eskrima Arnis which one is best. Yes it is better than everything else. :)