Kajukenbo anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by phatfire, Jul 18, 2006.

1. phatfire

phatfire New Member

I was hoping the Kajukenbo practioners would like to start a thread dedicated to this art. Display what they think of the art, what techniques you like and so on. I have a school near me teaching it. I have Checked out a Krav Mga school, sucked. It was a wife and husband ATA school. Sucked really. Checked out a Kung fu school didn't like the Sifu. A long Winded guy. So now I am going to go check out this school that Teaches Kajukenbo and Tai Chi Chuan. Just trying to get opinions of peopel who study the style. Thank you for your time.

2. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I don't teach nor have I practiced the style, but I have a friend in Canada that is an instructor, from what we've discussed and he's told me, it is a very good style with alot of benefits.

3. Shotochem

Shotochem Master of Baby-Do-Jitsu..

Hi Phat,

I recently joined a Kempo dojo. Our lineage is traced through Kajukembo.
    Though we primarily train in Kempo they tell me that the Kajukembo style is based on a combination of Karate, Jujitsu, Kempo and Chinese boxing. I have not taken any classes with the Kajukembo instructors as of yet. I will definately take a class or two when they are in town and post how it went.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Try it out. If you have questions after you have tried it, then I may be able to help you get some answers.

5. Dairyfreeze

Dairyfreeze New Member

I too am going to start taking Kajukenbo. I'll let you guys know what I think.

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Kajukenbo is basically Kempo. If you like that sort of thing you'll like the style. I did it for quite a few years back in the day with Sifu Al Dacascos but eventually found better.

7. phatfire

phatfire New Member

Well the black belt sociaty decided to make Kempo the base of the art, but not the whole art. There is a mis of JJ, Karate, Judo, and Chinese Boxing. But I do like Kempo but this will be a whole new experiance. :D ...Looking foward to start soon.

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

That's how it started out, but when Adriano Emperado's brother (forget the name) died the group didn't hang together quite so well. A lot of the other stuff wasn't as emphasized later on as previous. Al Dacascos added a lot more Chinese boxing and some Eskrima. Others have changed the style in other ways. Earl White puts in a lot of African martial arts. Bill Owens incorporated Capoeira and other things. And so on.

But there is more Mitose Kenpo there than there is anything else. And that, as Martha Stewart would say, is a Good Thing.

One thing I would strongly recommend is that you do your best not to learn the Kajukenbo knife counters. The kindest thing I can say about them is that they are suicidal. In fact, a Kajukenbo 5th Dan who used to be in my Silat class stopped teaching them altogether after one of his students did knife counter number one perfectly and died from a single stab wound to the armpit.

9. phatfire

phatfire New Member

I have a question for all of the kajukenbo ppl. Are your classes really relaxed? I took my first class and it was really relaxed. Little disapline and little correction from the Sifu. It might just be me but it really takes gettin use to. The Kenpo training I did spoiled it for me I guess. Alot of order and almost constant correction to make sure we where perfoming the move right. But I am only doing this for 6 weeks...at least for now. If by the end of those 6 weeks i havn't changed my mind on the matter, I will be seeking a new place. Most likely a Goju Ryo Karate school.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Our classes are fairly relaxed, but we get a fair lot of military folks in our small school. They are already quite disciplined and so we can be informal at times without it disrupting classes.

The kids classes and classes where people don't have a lot of self-discipline, we tend to be very strict. Otherwise even the slightest distraction makes it hard for people to pay attention.

As for correcting your movements, that could be good or bad. Kaju people don't do a lot of correcting IME because it is a mixed art that gets a lot of people coming in with other martial arts backgrounds. One thing I've heard was that something could be wrong right now, but it could have been right in the context for which it was taught. So if you learned something in kenpo, it might not be right to do it that way in Kajukenbo, but it is NOT necessarily wrong, it is just different.

If your instructor never corrects you, that would be a problem to me. Give him/her some time to get to know you better, then they should be correcting things to help you learn better.