Jutte

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by rottunpunk, Dec 28, 2012.

1. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

The Bujinkan varies so much though. Some dojo train the kata alot. Some teach "BBT" with little or no knowledge of the ryu-ha kata. That seems no accident.

Drilling kata is not so rare.

Especially at some Japanese shihan dojos.

I shall leave it there then :)

2. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

But you can pick it back up in the ninjutsu section if you wish, I started a thread;

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113809

As I felt we had overstayed out welcome here, lol

The op can hopefully get some information from a few kind souls perhaps, but at least we won't be so :topic: lol

3. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

Mod edit: If you have nothing useful to contribute to a thread, please refrain from posting. Further troll posts will earn you a short ban

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  4. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

For everyone who might assume that Chris Parker is any kind of authority on the subject: He is not.

There is juttejutsu in others of the nine ryuha of the Bujinkan, for example in Gyokko Ryu, covering both jutte vs armed and unarmed attackers.

5. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Really? And you know this how?

6. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Saying this implies that you have personally checked all of the densho and makimono of Gyokko Ryu. Have you? If not, how on earth can you come out with such a statement?

There are a lot of striking defences in the taijutsu, specifically from Togakure Ryu, that are different from the other ryu. Just like there are kodachi techniques.

The fact that you haven't been exposed to them does not change that.

7. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

And for the record, not everything in every martial ryu in Japan is categorized and structured in the same way. In some ryu, there has always been more importance on the actual movements and fighting ability than having structured and named kata. In such instances, it is more practical to learn one movement that can be used with several weapons, than creating ten strict, written, kata for each of them.

Ryu like Kukishinden Ryu, that have a history of mass teaching, are more clearly structured and kata oriented than ryu like, say, Gyokko Ryu or Togakure Ryu. Just because a ryu doesn't have a public curriculum with certain weapons, it doesn't mean that there are no techniques for these weapons in the ryu. Of course, it also doesn't mean that there are. So how does one know which is the case? It's very simple. Be a part of the chain of transmission, and you will be shown what you need to practice and when and how.

If you're sitting around doing research on the internet, or talking to others in the same boat all around the world, you won't get anywhere...

EDIT: Being part of the chain of transmission doesn't equal going to Honbu classes and getting dan grades. So even if you see videos of 500 dan grades showing crap jutte techniques, it means absolutely nothing.

8. rottunpunk

rottunpunk Valued Member

whoa, this thread has grown quickly.
    It will take me some time to read it all so bear with me.

Until then, as already stated, yes I am looking to avoid ninjutsu and would look for something that compliments what I already train in (i.e HNIR and MJER)
    Jutte is not really taught in HNIR, especially to us plebs who live outside of Japan. And as far as I know it never existed in Tosa Eishin Ryu/Jikiden

Will have a read about the other koryu mentioned though, once I have sifted through all the posts
    and thanks all for you input

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Does your dojo have links to SMR Jo? Thats one avenue to try.

10. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Be patient - bojutsu is more and more widely taught these days, I assume the same will happen with jutte. :)

11. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

So am I the only one that hears Cary Grant in my head whenever I think about jutte?

12. ToddSchweinhart

ToddSchweinhart Valued Member

Hello everyone,

Interesting discussion. I would say that the Jutte training by Hatsumi sensei would come from a variety of sources due to his wide background in martial arts. He has probably forgotten more than most of us know. His background in Asayama Ichiden Ryu and Masaki Ryu alone would be enough to create an unlimited source of Jutte techniques. Then you add the kata from the Kukishinden Ryu to the mix as well.

I am interested in a couple of things from a research perspective. I have seen several statements regarding Jutte being in other Ryu contained within the Bujinkan. Has anyone seen solid evidence of this? There were so many things that Takamatsu splintered and taught so it is possible and even more probable that these teachings were in some ryu a long time ago but are they still in various ryu today? If that is the case I would be very interested in discussing this offline with anyone stating so. Not here to "prove" one way or the other...just an open mind toward any new developments in Japanese Budo research.

Best,
    Todd Schweinhart
    WWW.YOSHINDOJO.COM

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

That brought a sai from my lips.