Just started Muay Thai, how should I train weights?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pablopabs123, Jan 12, 2014.

1. pablopabs123

pablopabs123 New Member

Hi all, I started Muay Thai last week so very new to it but really enjoying it so far. The gym I train at also has a fitness gym with loads of free weights and machines. I want to be training weights twice a week. I have done a lot of research and some people say I want to be aiming for about 20 reps which I know is for endurance and some people say I want to be doing about 5 reps for explosive strength, so I really don't know what I should be doing as there is so many different opinions. I want to develop a weights program really so I know exactly what I'm training each time I go. I was a boxer for 2 years but I never really did weights so literally don't have a clue. If anyone could give me any advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Hello there pablo!

First of all, is there any specific strength aspect you want to improve more?

I mean, you want to improve your strength endurance, your maximal strength, your explosive strength,your speed specifically or every aspect generally?

3. pablopabs123

pablopabs123 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I suppose i want to build up strength for harder and faster punches and kicks and endurance, so Im just wondering what would be the most efficient weights training for muay thai, sorry its quite vague i'm just pretty clueless haha

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Depends on how much Martials you're intending on doing?

IF you just started Muay and you're just starting weighst too...Then you shouldn't be worrying about explosive strength etc, yet.

Do a basic weights programme (see below). And REFRAIN from doing too much in terms of volume (sets, reps, duration and frequency etc).

Example. IF you do 2 x 1.30 hr Muay Thai seshs per week then train weights a max of twice per week for no more than 1 hour. Better yet 40 mins max.

Firstly you'll need to allow your body to get used to the extra work it's doing. And second ease yourself in to this all-new malarkey - No Berserkness.

Basic Compound lifts to start. As simple as:

Session A:

Deadlift, Standing Shoulder Press, Barbell Row

Squat, Dips, Pullups

(Rotate your Squats between Back Squat, Olympic Front Squat and one other variation - The Zercher Squat is brilliant for any 'boxing, kickboxing' type system).

Then, once that's down pat (at least 6 months of consistent effort) you can add the following -

Jump Squats, Power Cleans, High Pulls.

Also bear in mind that the TEMPO you do on your basic lifts can dictate how 'explosive' they are.

Good Luck

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I would be more worried about shin and bone conditioning first.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

While there is some decent weights exercises that compliment Muay Thai I think you really should be focused more on good technique at this point. Speed, power, and endurance, will come as your technique gets better. Once you have started to develop good technique then you should start looking at using weighted bracelets/anklets/heavier gloves, etc.

There are various weights exercises that you will need to do if you want to compete, including neck strengthening exercises, but I think at this point your main benefits will come from repetition of movement for the time being and slowly build up into weight training as you need it. Otherwise you will find yourself doing too much too soon and burn yourself out.

As a side note, and to give you something to go off, I'm 84kg and 5'9" and I'm probably one of the more powerful strikers in my class. I currently don't do any form of weight training, not even weighted bracelets/anklets. It's all come from repetition of technique only. I've been training in combat sports now for just under two years and am only just looking at using some light weight training to compliment my Muay Thai.

I'm sure that someone will come along and tell you loads of exercises you can do. I just don't think at this point they are what you should be focused on.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I wouldn't.

op, something like sokklabs program is all you need for 6 months to a year, he knows a thing or too about getting strong. After that why not check out our very own Zaad's program for martial artists in the articles section?

8. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

How much physical activity have you been getting in a week before starting Muay Thai? If the Muay Thai constitutes an increase in your activity levels, wait until you adapt to that first.

As for rep ranges, doing 20 reps on a barbell exercise is nothing like the kind of endurance you need for Muay Thai - the best thing you can do for that is slowly increase your volume of Muay Thai training. Consider that the pros train eight hours a day, six days a week at a minimum.

When it's appropriate to start lifting, keep it 5 reps or under. Forget all the prefixes of strength for now, you just need to get strong. A basic program of squats, presses, deadlifts, cleans, chinups and rows, with working sets of 5 or less. There really isn't that many ways to organise the training as a novice, so you'll quickly find the programs that fit the bill.

Good luck!

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Squat heavy.

(This one's for you, Dean Winchester :D )

10. GoodHeadkick

GoodHeadkick New Member

If you just started it's good to just learn the proper technique for now. Learning to generate the proper power from using your hips and pushing off the floor. And building that power through speed and acceleration.

You can learn start to incorporate some isometric exercises as well here and there to build that power gradually. But get down the form first and try to maximize your power through proper technique.

- GoodHeadKick

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome to MAP GoodHeadKick.

Please do not keep posting advertising links as this violates MAP's Terms of Service and will result in you being banned.

Mitch

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  12. GoodHeadkick

GoodHeadkick New Member

Oh okay.

Sorry didn't know and will not continue.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Cool, thank you :)

Have you posted an Introduction yet? If you get time, swing by the Introductions forum and post up to say hi and say a little about yourself.

Welcome to MAP :)

Mitch